Is it to late to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheShinyMac, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My friends got them on release and I was addicted, but now I worry is it to late to buy them? Im getting my first "real" job this summer-I'm only 15- and I'm worried it will be updated and have a lower price point this September. What do you think? I really want it to have the new "Retina Display"

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

They won't update it earlier than 1 year from its original sale date. Apple wouldn't do that to people who purchased the 1st gen models.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err...what? No consumer-oriented Apple product has an average update cycle longer than 10 months. It's quite possible they'll update it just before or after the holidays.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The iPhone? This is a damn similar device.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They changed the price and available configurations of the iPhone...what... 3 months after it was announced?

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

That was the initial launch. They have launched 3 models since then without doing that. And they also gave the 4GB buyers Apple gift cards, did they not?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well in case you missed it, this is the initial iPad launch as well.

After a huge outcry. Not sure you can count on that happening again.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

That is my point entirely, that was their first launch of such a product. They should have learned from their mistakes and adjusted accordingly.

Do you mean to tell me that Apple designed the iPad and the new iPhone, and also had time to both design and produce a higher resolution iPad while at the same time continuing production of the 1G iPads for stores/countries that are currently sold out while making 2G iPads for the holiday season?

That makes no frickin sense. Sorry. This device has 3G in it, it is a lot like the iPhone, and I see them updating it every year. Just like the iPods, and just like the iPhones (which the iPad is modeled after).

9. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

There is no iPad with "a new retina display"... Am I the only one who thinks that this kid mixed some products up? :rolleyes:

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You are. He is saying he wants the iPad but thinks a new "retina display" model is coming soon.

11. EasyJW macrumors member

its been out for a month [​IMG] i think you'll be ok haha

12. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I'm waiting for the second generation. Retina display maybe, camera... etc. This 2st gen isn't even out in the Netherlands though - but I won't say it's too late to buy an iPad , I'm just not in a rush.

13. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

If that's what he meant, my bad :)

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How many pixels would you have with an iPad-sized display with the resolution of the iPhone 4? Just do a quick calculation. Then ask yourself what the GPU in the iPad will think about that resolution. It will think: Oh ****. Then ask yourself what your wallet will think about that resolution. It will think: Oh ****.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Ha! The release cycle has nothing to do with Apple's concerns over its customers' feelings. :) It has everything to do with how long it takes to come up with something new, scheduling the work amongst all of their other products, and -- most importantly -- how much MONEY can they make! Schedule the releases too close together and you don't make enough money off all the R&D you just paid for. Schedule too long and the product gets stale and competitors move in. Since the iPhones, Touches, and now iPods are on yearly schedules, you can probably count on yearly iPad releases as well.

16. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

haha he's so right , though. BUT I bet Apple will be testing an iPad with the retina display , and think Oh **** we need a better gpu.

17. duky macrumors 6502

And updated battery, and OS, and apps. There's a lot that would go into increasing the iPad's resolution so much

18. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

definitely nooo!
    it just came out a month or 2 ago worldwide.
    i bet the next update will be alongside the iphone 5 next june.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

They will update they every year, just like they do with all iPods and iPhone.

20. JGeek007 macrumors newbie

I've decided to wait to purchase the iPad. I completely expect them to come out with a new version before the holidays.

21. DeuxIt macrumors member

It's not how many pixels it's the pixel density.that matters.

22. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

I doubt that there would be any update this year as it's just released not long ago and still freshy

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple will not drop the price; it's selling like hotcakes right now and on backorder for most people.

24. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Since there is no known imminent alternative, it is not too late. Maybe there will be a refurb soon.

25. seb-opp macrumors 6502

not true - the iPods are upgraded yearly, and have been since 2005, with the exception of the introduction of the 32GB 1st Gen touch and possibly some iPod shuffle models