Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
That's because they're sleazy. They don't mention that you can sign up yourself for a prepaid plan, they only offer to sign you up for a post paid plan and then hit you with an activation fee.

Oh man, I'm really PISSED NOW! I specifically told them that there was a $20 plan you could sign up for from the Ipad and after she talked to her manager, she said, "There is no plan like that. You have to sign up here because we need to "make sure it works."

I knew that was total B.S. but I figured I'd just cancel and do prepaid... :mad::mad::mad:

How long is the return policy? I just got it last Friday?! :(

Pete

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
How do you know that the Verizon sim will be unusable after 5 months? This is the first Verizon iPad that has had a sim and its only been out a week.

I think because historically SIMs are tied to accounts... once that account has been closed they will no longer support the number tied to the SIM on their network. At&t has been doing that for years.

But I don't know for sure... just a guess from me.

----------

Oh man, I'm really PISSED NOW! I specifically told them that there was a $20 plan you could sign up for from the Ipad and after she talked to her manager, she said, "There is no plan like that. You have to sign up here because we need to "make sure it works."

I knew that was total B.S. but I figured I'd just cancel and do prepaid... :mad::mad::mad:

How long is the return policy? I just got it last Friday?! :(

Pete

You could just call them and cancel your post paid... that was very shady of them to do though. Go get their names and report that store to the BBB

jperry2010

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Austin, Texas
I will admit, that I had this problem after Verizon insisted that it was better than I had my account on the postpaid plan. Two days later, I went back to the store and told them, "Thanks, but no thanks" and that I wanted to do one of the prepaid plans.

They swapped my SIM card for me out in the store right there. Just ask them nicely, odds are they might do it for you too.

Then, if they don't, just tell them that you'll just go and exchange the iPad and get a new SIM card that way so it'll have the same effect but instead they can just save you a little bit of time. If they are concerned about keeping your business at all, they'll work with you. And if not, tell them you'll swap it out with an AT&T iPad.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
^^What about people who are past their 14 day return period with Apple? If Verizon refuses to give people a prepaid sim, is there anything else they can do?

jperry2010

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Austin, Texas
^^What about people who are past their 14 day return period with Apple? If Verizon refuses to give people a prepaid sim, is there anything else they can do?

Luckily, that isn't a problem quite yet. I don't know what to do at that point.

Like I said, they swapped my SIM out for me with no problems when I asked. The swapping the iPad thing was a contingency plan if they tried to play games with me, but I had no problems. YMMV.

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Great responses guys; thanks a million!

So does Verizon have the same 14 day return policy on Ipads as Apple? If so, then I guess I'll be okay... I think the supply isn't too bad...I saw quite a few at the local Target this past weekend...

Pete

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
According to the Verizon Wireless site, they have a 14 day return policy. I'm going to backup my new ipad tonight and bring it in tomorrow to request a pre-paid sim. If they don't do that, I'll return it and buy a pre-paid unit somewhere else...

I'll report back what happens. In fact, I think I'll point them to this thread if they continue to say there is no $20 pre-paid plan.

I hope they'll just swap out the sim as my Ipad is perfect, no bleed, no other issues...

Thanks again for all the responses. I have a lot of respect for Apple and their customer service. I hope they become aware of these tactics by Verizon and hold them to the same standards that they seem to abide by themselves!

Pete

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
So if I activate my AT&T then don't use it again for 5 months I won't be able to use it again unless somehow I get another sim?? And they 'won't' give you one? (I see on their website they sell you one for $15.00)
For real???? I'm talking only about the pre-paid plan.

Unless AT&T has changed things they do not deactivate their iPad SIM cards. I have reactivated after 7 months and not a problem. I think it may be a Verizon thing.

Give it a month or two and I bet you will be able to buy Verizon Micro Sim cards on eBay. I buy twenty AT&T SIM card for the iPhone for 20-30 bucks on eBay all the time.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
That's because they're sleazy. They don't mention that you can sign up yourself for a prepaid plan, they only offer to sign you up for a post paid plan and then hit you with an activation fee.

Not true. You just have to re-sign up for the service. You don't sacrifice anything by letting your account lapse. It's amazing how misinformed people are.

How do you know that the Verizon sim will be unusable after 5 months? This is the first Verizon iPad that has had a sim and its only been out a week.

#1 .. there is NO activation fee for a prepaid iPad plan. If you were charged for one, call and request a refund. They are doing these accounts as if they were regular phones and not iPads which is a special activation (just like ATT).

#2 .. How do "I know" you can't activate a deactivated sim on a closed account? I know because it already happened to 3 or 4 people who posted here. When your account is deactivated (either after 5 mos of non-use or selecting "close now" rather than "close later" or however it is listed through the iPad) the sim is d-e-a-d. Can't be reused. If you use it one month, then not for 3 months, then use it again, you are fine forever until you stop for 5 months (or select the wrong button in the iPad software).

#3 .. How do I know the PREPAID SIM is not usable after 5 months OF NON-USE? Because after 5 months of non-use the account is deactivated (closed) and your account is closed. It has already happened to 3 or 4 people here when they accidentally closed their pre-paid account on the iPad. The SIM was now no good, was unable to be reactivated and both VZW store and online support said they couldn't send them a new pre-paid sim (which is ridiculous). The only option they had was to return the iPad and start over or go postpaid. There are multiple threads about that here already as well as on various other sites. Deactivating or closing an account is totally different then not renewing the PREPAID data plan after a month of use. As long as your PREPAID "non-renewal" is less than 5 months OR you don't ACCIDENTALLY close the account through the iPad utility your account stays active.

Here is the one thing you did get right This is still so new and VZW has no idea what they are doing. They haven't yet had a PREPAID device that uses a SIM so they have no SIM to provide (or don't know they CAN provide one). I have no doubt this will change shortly when they realize what is going on and you also can be sure they will charge a pretty penny for replacement PREPAID sims.

It is possible that like ATT the PREPAID sim is the same as the POSTPAID sim and VZW doesn't know it. There are numerous ellers on eBay selling VZW "4G" sims. I just ordered one to see if can be activated as PREPAID ON THE IPAD. If it can, then VZW is really fsucked up.

It's amazing how misinformed people are, now isn't it?

----------

Unless AT&T has changed things they do not deactivate their iPad SIM cards. I have reactivated after 7 months and not a problem. I think it may be a Verizon thing.

Give it a month or two and I bet you will be able to buy Verizon Micro Sim cards on eBay. I buy twenty AT&T SIM card for the iPhone for 20-30 bucks on eBay all the time.

FWIW there was an ATT rep that posted in one of the 100 threads on the same topic here that after 5 months of NON-USE the account is deactivated and the sim is no longer usable.

There are plenty of VZW Micro (and regular) 4g SIMs on eBay (I just ordered one). Not sure if they will work for PREPAID but I will know as soon as it shows up.

----------

I will admit, that I had this problem after Verizon insisted that it was better than I had my account on the postpaid plan. Two days later, I went back to the store and told them, "Thanks, but no thanks" and that I wanted to do one of the prepaid plans.

They swapped my SIM card for me out in the store right there. Just ask them nicely, odds are they might do it for you too.

Then, if they don't, just tell them that you'll just go and exchange the iPad and get a new SIM card that way so it'll have the same effect but instead they can just save you a little bit of time. If they are concerned about keeping your business at all, they'll work with you. And if not, tell them you'll swap it out with an AT&T iPad.

Was the PREPAID sim labeled "PREPAID" or just a regular looking SIM? If it was a regular SIM that would be good news.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
It's amazing that the Verizon stores won't admit to a $20 prepay plan. It's right on their website. I am so nervous over this whole thing I have decided to not even try my Verizon LTE yet until the dust settles. I was planning on only activating for 2 months out of the year but don't want to be caught with the SIM expiring after 5 months, that is just ridiculous.

Here is the link, just click view plans to see the prepaid numbers:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...y&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5626

Attachments

• Vprepay.PNG
    Vprepay.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 77

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Iphone)

lovespicyfood said:
Great responses guys; thanks a million!

So does Verizon have the same 14 day return policy on Ipads as Apple? If so, then I guess I'll be okay... I think the supply isn't too bad...I saw quite a few at the local Target this past weekend...

Pete

Not exactly. I believe they have a $70 restocking fee...bastards.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Ugh. That better not happen.

What would they charge for a new pre-paid sim?

Bastards.

Sorry, but the restocking fee is right on their website. I was gonna get one from there but that made me change my mind. These cell phone sellers are right up there with used car salespeople.

----------

#1 .. there is NO activation fee for a prepaid iPad plan. If you were charged for one, call and request a refund. They are doing these accounts as if they were regular phones and not iPads which is a special activation (just like ATT).

#2 .. How do "I know" you can't activate a deactivated sim on a closed account? I know because it already happened to 3 or 4 people who posted here. When your account is deactivated (either after 5 mos of non-use or selecting "close now" rather than "close later" or however it is listed through the iPad) the sim is d-e-a-d. Can't be reused. If you use it one month, then not for 3 months, then use it again, you are fine forever until you stop for 5 months (or select the wrong button in the iPad software).

#3 .. How do I know the PREPAID SIM is not usable after 5 months OF NON-USE? Because after 5 months of non-use the account is deactivated (closed) and your account is closed. It has already happened to 3 or 4 people here when they accidentally closed their pre-paid account on the iPad. The SIM was now no good, was unable to be reactivated and both VZW store and online support said they couldn't send them a new pre-paid sim (which is ridiculous). The only option they had was to return the iPad and start over or go postpaid. There are multiple threads about that here already as well as on various other sites. Deactivating or closing an account is totally different then not renewing the PREPAID data plan after a month of use. As long as your PREPAID "non-renewal" is less than 5 months OR you don't ACCIDENTALLY close the account through the iPad utility your account stays active.

Here is the one thing you did get right This is still so new and VZW has no idea what they are doing. They haven't yet had a PREPAID device that uses a SIM so they have no SIM to provide (or don't know they CAN provide one). I have no doubt this will change shortly when they realize what is going on and you also can be sure they will charge a pretty penny for replacement PREPAID sims.

It is possible that like ATT the PREPAID sim is the same as the POSTPAID sim and VZW doesn't know it. There are numerous ellers on eBay selling VZW "4G" sims. I just ordered one to see if can be activated as PREPAID ON THE IPAD. If it can, then VZW is really fsucked up.

It's amazing how misinformed people are, now isn't it?

----------

FWIW there was an ATT rep that posted in one of the 100 threads on the same topic here that after 5 months of NON-USE the account is deactivated and the sim is no longer usable.

There are plenty of VZW Micro (and regular) 4g SIMs on eBay (I just ordered one). Not sure if they will work for PREPAID but I will know as soon as it shows up.

----------

Was the PREPAID sim labeled "PREPAID" or just a regular looking SIM? If it was a regular SIM that would be good news.

Phew, at least I got one thing right. Thanks for clearing things up for me, Nostradamus.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I have the Verizon data plan. Am I looking in the right location to check my data usage? I went into settings and looked at cell usage; it says 824 MB! Is that possible? I use wifi mostly and have used LTE for just 30 minutes. I must be looking at the wrong number. Yes?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I have the Verizon data plan. Am I looking in the right location to check my data usage? I went into settings and looked at cell usage; it says 824 MB! Is that possible? I use wifi mostly and have used LTE for just 30 minutes. I must be looking at the wrong number. Yes?

No, you're looking at the right number. Really makes you glad that LTE is so fast.

hondaivtec2007

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Pa
Hey guys before thinking of returning it don't forget the Verizon restock fee for tablets is 75.00 that's how they get you. It's always best to buy from apple.

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I have something REALLY COOL to share and I hope it helps those that may be in the same position as me! As mentioned earlier, I was "suckered" into a post paid plan by Verizon when I really wanted a pre-paid plan. Verizon represented that I could do that if I wanted the Ipad; they had to activate it "in store" to make sure it worked. Not wanting to wait, I figured I'd cancel it at home and then do pre-paid. Then this thread alerted me to the fact that it is a different sim. I planned on going to Verizon tomorrow to demand they give me a pre-paid sim, otherwise I'd return my Ipad for a refund. As others noted, I was worried they'd try to charge me a restocking fee.

Tonight I went to the mall with my daughter. Venturing past the Apple store, I decided to go in and ask them what were the odds of Verizon giving me a pre paid sim. The Apple employee, Grady from Thousand Oaks, CA, was a bit surprised at my story and sympathetic. He told me to hold on and he would see if they could give me a Verizon sim.

Guess what? THEY DID! And I didn't even have my receipt or Ipad on me!!! They just gave me a card!!!!

How freakin' cool is that?! :cool: To say the least; I am thoroughly impressed and happy with this Apple Store experience. So glad that I'm not going to have to waste my lunch hour tomorrow fighting with the Verizon store...

So for those in the same position as me; perhaps you should just go to the nearest Apple store?

Hopefully I have time tomorrow to cancel my post paid card and pop in the new card to activate pre-paid. WOO HOO! :apple:

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
^^Wow that's great! That saves a huge amount of hassle with Verizon and this is why I continue to support Apple so much. Great customer service goes a long way.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I have something REALLY COOL to share and I hope it helps those that may be in the same position as me! As mentioned earlier, I was "suckered" into a post paid plan by Verizon when I really wanted a pre-paid plan. Verizon represented that I could do that if I wanted the Ipad; they had to activate it "in store" to make sure it worked. Not wanting to wait, I figured I'd cancel it at home and then do pre-paid. Then this thread alerted me to the fact that it is a different sim. I planned on going to Verizon tomorrow to demand they give me a pre-paid sim, otherwise I'd return my Ipad for a refund. As others noted, I was worried they'd try to charge me a restocking fee.

Tonight I went to the mall with my daughter. Venturing past the Apple store, I decided to go in and ask them what were the odds of Verizon giving me a pre paid sim. The Apple employee, Grady from Thousand Oaks, CA, was a bit surprised at my story and sympathetic. He told me to hold on and he would see if they could give me a Verizon sim.

Guess what? THEY DID! And I didn't even have my receipt or Ipad on me!!! They just gave me a card!!!!

How freakin' cool is that?! :cool: To say the least; I am thoroughly impressed and happy with this Apple Store experience. So glad that I'm not going to have to waste my lunch hour tomorrow fighting with the Verizon store...

So for those in the same position as me; perhaps you should just go to the nearest Apple store?

Hopefully I have time tomorrow to cancel my post paid card and pop in the new card to activate pre-paid. WOO HOO! :apple:

I wondered how the situation panned out for you! It worked out in the end, but the sad thing is Verizon didn't straighten it out. I'm not faulting you for going to the apple store, but some people still don't know that the a pre-paid plan exists. Again, I'm glad it worked out for you in the short run. :)

Last edited:

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
So I went ahead and canceled my auto renewing plan using the "delete account later" option. I am able to use the rest of my data or until the billing period ends, whichever comes first. I can also confirm that Verizon specifically gives you 5 months of inactivity before closing the account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.