Is it weird to own a MBA and a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shenfrey, Apr 29, 2011.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Hi, big apple product fan, I enjoy using my MBA and my Imac so much but lately I have been thinking about my MBP, mainly for gaming. My MBA is great for sort of on the move activities, and my IMAC is perfect for times when I have alot of time for myself, but where does an MBP fit in to the equation? I want one mainly because its alot more powerful and would be great for games, but I think its weird owning them all since I am not a high flying businessmen who needs a laptop for work.

Price of the MBP isn't really the problem, I CAN afford it, its just if I needed it, I think theres a big difference between wanting something and needing something. I know my MBA is powerful but its not powerful enough to run high profile games such as WoW at high setting, or The Sims 3 on high detail which I like to do alot.

So my question is what do you think I should do?

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I own 15 mbp and it's a great machine(desktop replacement worthy). Is it a gaming machine? I guess it all depends on what you play..

As to owning both mba and mbp? I have both mbp 15 and mb 13. I used mb on my bed to browse and stuff(but even that is being replaced by ipad 2 completely).

Having said that, if you can afford it? Why not? I would love to work on 15 mbp and also have access to 13 mba.

I am not 100% sure however, in your case -- I don't game -- why you wouldn't simply get window laptop for gaming(spend little over grand and get
    hardware you need.).

Buying mbp just for gaming purpose is waste of money. IMHO

3. Zeroh macrumors member

The new mbp seem to be very good for gaming, alot of videos up on YouTube of crysis 2 being played on max so wow would be a breeze and hey if you can afford something why not it's like saying you can get a Honda to get u around places but if you could you would get a Audi :)

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You think that's weird? I own a 17" MBP, 13" MBP, iPad and iPhone. Talk about under utilization :(

5. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

problem with that analogy is I would already own a honda and would be considering buying an audi ALSO. So my question is, does it make sense owning both cars?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

7. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

iPhone, iPad, MBA, MB and MBP, I feel your pain:rolleyes:

8. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

9. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

do you own an imac as well?

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Don't think of it as "if I can afford it, why not", but rather as "what else could I buy instead?" If you can't think of anything better to do with the money, then by all means, buy the MBP. If you can think of something better to do with it, then do that. If I already had a MBA and an iMac, there are lots of things I'd rather spend that money on than a MBP, but we all have our own priorities and wants. :)

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

To be completely honest, (and no offense), I think it's weird. But if you can justify it, go for it.

12. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Is it weird to own an iPad 2 and a Xoom? :d

13. Kleptomaniac macrumors newbie

Yes! Its weird to own a Zoom nevermind a Zoom AND an iPad 2 lol

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think it is about as weird as wearing a watch on each wrist

15. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Thanks, all I gotta decide whether to buy a MBA or a Samsung Series 9...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I guess that a person who acquires the devices the way your nick suggests, can "afford" them anyway. ;-) If you saw a person with a Zoom and an iPad 2, which device would you find more appropriate to steal?

17. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Erm... The iPad 2 because it's the iPad 2 :d

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

Weird to own a 13" Air and a MBP 15", but a 17" makes more sense.

Totally awesome to own an 11" and a MBP (any size)

19. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If you want a pc strictly for gaming, why not build one? For less than the price of the MBP you can build a machine that will run circles around it for gaming.

20. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I think it's a little much. Personally, I'd be more on board with the iPad/MBP or iPad/iMac combo than anything else. Makes sense to me.

21. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

depends on the size

I have a 13" MBP and, having tried the MBAs, wouldn't really care for one. They seemed slower for the things I like to do (browsing and work in Chrome).

I can see why you'd like to have a smaller MB. For light weight and travel, I use my iPad with Zaggmate keyboard--a tad heavier than the small MBA.

22. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

i think the gpu in your imac will be better than the one in the MBP. If not then buy the MBP with high end GPU and enjoy your games.

Steve Jobs will be happy

23. iMackPro macrumors 6502

no, if i could afford it id own both too. but since money is tight after me buying my pimped out 15" i do want an iPad, which is pretty much the gutted MBA in a sense, but then again not really lol.

i want the iPad 2but since i just bought a white i4 and a new mac, looks like ill be buying the next gen iPad, and yes i know it was just updated. But i don't mind waiting a year, ill be enjoying my new mac and my iP5 in the fall. and then spring and BAM! iPad 3! (Fingers crossed for Retina display)

24. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

No, I use either my MBP or MBA with a 24" ACD whenever I need the real estate when using CS5.

25. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Answer to the title, because it's so silly it deserves a silly answer: Yes.