Is it worth switching out a JB Plus that has a ding on it?

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Just wanted to get the forums opinion on this.

I grabbed a 256 JB Plus about a week ago. Immediately when I opened the box I noticed a very small ding right above the camera lens. At first I didn't think much of it. But since I'm going caseless I'm noticing this mark every single time I look at the back of the phone.

I actually went to my local Apple Store yesterday to make a purchase and asked the sales associate what she thought. She said she could see the defect and said book a genius appointment if I think I need one. She said it looked minor in her books and that if I keep noticing it I "should slap a case on it". I didn't care for that response.

Catch: I got it on a carrier upgrade, so I can't just return and rebuy meaning I'd have to get a swapped out phone.

Has anyone gone through this? I want to upload a pic but of course my 7 Plus is my only camera.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I grabbed a 256 JB Plus about a week ago. Immediately when I opened the box I noticed a very small ding right above the camera lens. At first I didn't think much of it. But since I'm going caseless I'm noticing this mark every single time I look at the back of the phone.

I actually went to my local Apple Store yesterday to make a purchase and asked the sales associate what she thought. She said she could see the defect and said book a genius appointment if I think I need one. She said it looked minor in her books and that if I keep noticing it I "should slap a case on it". I didn't care for that response.

Catch: I got it on a carrier upgrade, so I can't just return and rebuy meaning I'd have to get a swapped out phone.

Has anyone gone through this? I want to upload a pic but of course my 7 Plus is my only camera.
It all depends on YOU. If you can not stand it then you need to go through the carrier return/replacement thing.

Only you can make this choice.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
I had a small scratch on the antenna line on my JB plus, and I just left it. With this type of finish I definitely don't suggest looking for the perfect one as it will pick up small scratches kinda quick regardless. If the rest of ur finish came nice I'd stick with it. Especially if all of ur hardware seems satisfactory.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2015

It will probably hurt resale value or trade in value when it's not your fault
And worst what accident happened that caused that ding. ?

Reminds me of 2014 when I took delivery of My Lexus IS, the rep was so happy and had everything done he basically threw me in the car, my Spidey sense took over. I looked over the car with a fine tooth comb and setup the rep. I asked is everything ok, the dealer owner came over I asked are we ready everything is AOK.

Not realizing I had seen a rear door ding caused by the car carrier. They were embarrassed they just wanted me to drive away so they could claim I had caused it.

I gave em one choice a heavily upgraded vehicle or I walk on the deal. All they had was a 2014 IS 350Fsport the one with. The LFA gauges. And that's what they offered me to. Be happy.

To this day I am well known there.

Last edited:

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Replace it or it will bother you forever!
I have tried three different 7 Pluses:
1. People could not hear me and weak signal
2. Very dim and yellow screen
3. One edge of screen was not flush and could feel it every time I held my phone.

Waiting on number 4 so fingers crossed. Wife's is on her first one and is perfect display and brightest of all of them.

Reactions: vistokid

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
3. One edge of screen was not flush and could feel it every time I held my phone.

Waiting on number 4 so fingers crossed. Wife's is on her first one and is perfect display and brightest of all of them.
in other words you just want to find faults with every phone exchange you get

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy

But the point is if it's ONLY the ding he shouldn't replace it and risk a number of other problems that are far more serious and that may affect the users experience. Especially since cosmetically this phone will encounter scratches easily. You just stated why he shouldn't replace it, he's not gonna want any of those problems u had.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Back up a few steps here please. What's up with all the reports of cosmetically damaged phones coming out of the boxes? If I had seen just one or two posts like that I'd think people were maybe mischaracterizing user damage with fresh-from-the-box damage before the phone was boxed up at the factory or in shipping, but there's enough of those that it seems like there really is something going on before the buyer ever gets the phone. Is the packaging a problem? In prior years there was a plastic tray between the phone and the charger/etc., which isn't true in the case of the iPhone 7. I wonder if poor package design is an issue...

Reactions: GrumpyMom

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
I opened my jb plus yesterday in store and they saw the defect on my casing (near the apple logo) it's hard to see but they gave me a free screen protector, case and said if I want I can return the phone when they get another in stock and get another screen protector but I have a case on so it doesn't bother me. I think it's the casing being super prone to damages

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Yea we're not stating there's very apparent damage out of the box it's just simply minor things that only appear with this finish, almost unbeknownst the naked eye with a quick look over.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Replace it and I guarantee you'll drop the replacement in the first week and and have a bigger flaw than what you have now. :D

maka344

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I have an inch scratch on the front screen out of the box, it starts on the screen and finishes next to the ear piece. Here's the thing, the screen is beautifully perfect, no hissing and no other issues. It's a week 41... Can I live with it, I don't know...

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I'd say return it. It may be a while before you get another (as the 7+ JB are rare to come by), but any body damage to the 7's could reduce the water resistance. You can't see if there are any small cracks that expose the inside of the phone.

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
If you had a matte black or some other color other than jet black and were going to case and screen protector up then I'd say return it but if you're going caseless and its the extremely scratchable jet black colorway, then I say it's going to look old and scratched soon anyway.....

Reactions: vistokid

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Any cosmetic damage right out of the box is a big NO for me. I can't stand a scratch let alone a ding. We pay almost $1000 bucks for it. Lol at the Apple employees comment to slap a case on it. I bet she wouldn't take it herself.

Glockcubed

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I first ordered a JB iPhone. Then i thought, heck it is going into an Otterbox. No problem. I changed my order to matte black and received it faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.