Is it worth waiting for the new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by talwarsirav, Jun 5, 2016.

?

What's more worth the money?

  1. Existing MacBook Pro?

    22.0%
  2. 2016 MacBook

    8.0%
  3. MacBook Pro 2016 (expected)

    70.0%
  4. iPad Pro

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. talwarsirav macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2016
    #1
    I have been waiting for a newly designed, and more powerful MacBook for nearly 6 months. The 2016 MacBook was disappointing, to say the least.

    Is it worth the wait for the new MacBook Pro?

    Or should I go for the existing version?
     
  2. jerryk, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

    jerryk macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #2
    I would at least wait until WWDC, June 13-15. See if they announce a new MBP and if so, what is the availability time frame.
     
  3. friedkimchi macrumors regular

    friedkimchi

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #3
    Less than 2 weeks to go! Go walk around in the forest to resist temptation.
     
  4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

    crzdcolombian

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2010
    #4
    yea see if its a minor spec boost or a major over haul. If a minor spec boost them buy the previous year version with a super steep discount.
     
  5. btbam91 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2015
    #5
    The rumors have it that no new MBPs will be announced at WWDC, but new ones will come out by the end of the year.
     
  6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    If not this June, than I hope for Sept time frame, and would wait for it, than buy now.
     
  7. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Cal
  8. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #8
    True. And if they do update it next week, you can always exchange it.
     
  9. jerryk macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #9
    How does that work it they do not ship until fall, as rumored.
     
  10. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #10
    Depends on how much you need a new computer. If you have a computer that works and you want something new, I would wait. You know what you want (the upgraded MBP) so getting something you don't want will be disappointing and make you want to upgrade again sooner. I hate that feeling. But obviously if you really need a new computer you have no choice.

    I do not subscribe to the buy when you need advice. These updates happen too infrequently not to wait a bit if at all possible to maximize that warm fuzzy new tech feel :D
     
  11. jerryk macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #11
    mmmm warm and fuzzy.:D:D:D

    Love it. Nothing like getting a new computer to put a smile on your face!
     
  12. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #12
    Well, then you'd have to make a choice of retuning it and waiting, or just keeping what you have.
     
  13. jclardy macrumors 68040

    jclardy

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    #13
    I'd say it depends on what you want it for. I'd bet almost anything that the 2015 rMBP will have more ports/connectivity options than the 2016 model.

    Speed wise there won't be much of a difference. Battery life will likely be identical, given they are going to reduce the casing size (So the skylake power improvements make up for a smaller battery footprint.) I would bet that storage options are cheaper, so you will likely get 256GB in the base model. I'd also bet there will be display improvements - possibly improved color gamut like the 5k iMac, maybe even an increase in size/resolution (But these are just guesses, given a body redesign only happens every 3-4 years.) Possibly true tone like the 9.7" iPad Pro.

    The keyboard will likely be updated as well to be more like the newer Apple wireless keyboard.

    But either way you should probably wait as the old models will get discounted (And if you buy refurb you can get an even better deal on the 2015...)
     
  14. bobdobalina, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. pat500000 macrumors 604

    pat500000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #15
    you should get 2015...it's cheaper than 2016.
     

Share This Page