Is it wrong to ask "Do you have fresh fries?" at drive-thru?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Dec 9, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I never customize my order at McDonald's or Burger King. I just order as is. But, one thing I don't want to order is soggy old fries.

I just went to McDonald's drive-thru and asked if their fries are fresh. The woman with the microphone didn't sound too happy with my question and just asked me back 'Medium or Large?'. I asked again and she again asked me back almost yelling at me, 'MEDIUM OR LARGE?!!!'

Was I wrong to ask? I understand their fries cannot be always fresh. I don't have any problem with that. It's okay. All I wanted was to have an option to buy fresh fries if available or something else if not.

2. tooz macrumors 6502

I had some fries from a hungry jacks that were soggy :( knew I should have gone to maccas

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

No i don't think it is. You pay for a meal you expect to get a good one. I no when i use to go through macca's drive throughs i would also say no pickles etc that way they have to remake it.

9 times out of 10 i always got a fresh one. hasn't worked with the chips yet but oh well.

4. rebeccamartin macrumors member

I dont think what you asked is wrong, you have all the rights to demand about the food you are going to order, after all you going to get it after paying and not free.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ask for fries to be unsalted. They will cook up a new batch for you.:D
    If you want fresh burgers just ask them to be unseasoned, same as above.
    Just a couple tips my younger brother told me (he worked at McDonalds)

6. foidulus macrumors 6502a

As a fellow former McDonald's employee, I concur with the above comments, we cannot just cook fries for whoever asks for them because we would end up throwing away massive #s of them. That being said, we are supposed to toss them after a certain # of minutes, but management usually "discourages" this practice:rolleyes:

7. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Theres nothing wrong with asking that, if your fries were cold you would ask for fresh ones anyways.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

My biggest issue with mcdonald is the fact I order my quaterpounder with no pickle. Not because I don't like them because I really don't know what they taste like but because if I eat a burger that's even has them picked out I end up in hospital.

If I go to the quiet mcdonald around the corner they make my burger fresh. If I go to the busier one at the shopping center they pick it out and cover it up with ketchup. I have to check every time as I really don't want to be puking up blood. But common it's bloody obvious that it's been taken out as it leaves a mark on the cheese.

What do you recon the payout would be if I ate the burger? I'll put it this way when I was seven I ate pickle so I'm told. I was put in a drug induced coma for 4 weeks because of the pain and had to have my food given via iv for 3 months the blended solids for another 3 months....

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Seriously if I was you, I'd never buy a burger from McD's. It's just too great a risk for you. Stick to home-made burgers or ones from good restaurants where they will listen patiently to you explaining why you can't eat pickle, or places where they will make the burger right in front of you.

Just never eat a burger that's been made out of your sight.

To the OP, yes ask anything you want about the food before you buy. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, it's up to you to buy it or not.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Why should I go without because a simple instruction can't be followed?

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Because your handing your fate over to

a) someone who's still in high school and would laugh their ass off to watch you roll around the ground and video tape it / post it on youtube.

b) someone who doesn't understand english

c) a minimum wage worker who hates you because you actually have health insurance, and hell, why not make you use it!

d) all of the above

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Agreed.

I wouldn't let an unqualified electrician work on my house - it might be a danger to my family.

I wouldn't eat pufferfish fugu from a learner chef or someone on low wages,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu

but a burger for me is less dangerous. For you, a burger prepared out of your sight is like eating fugu. You've got to make sure you're putting your trust in the right person.

We all have to deal with these dangers - not just fugu or burgers. Pretty much everyone has things they can't do that most 'normal' people can deal with.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Asking that question is tempting fate that you will get fresh fries...with fresh spit on them.

14. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I think your problem is that they think you say "french fries" instead of "fresh fries." Probably sounds very similar over those intercom systems. Thats why you get a snippy answer, because of course McDonalds has french fries!

I would try to say something besides fresh, perhaps not old or new?

15. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

This is what I thought when I first read the question. The squawkbox presumably leads to things getting lost in translation. If you want a guarantee of fresh fries, I'd suggest just going inside and ordering them there, or at least going in and complaining there if yours are terrible.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A - no pickle is really simple don't u think

b - then they shouldn't have the job it's mcdonalds fault for not offering propped training.

C - I live in England we have a national health service though I do have bupa cover.

D - I live my life with the knowledge that a miss sight could cause me harm why should I avoid things because of it.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Weird. Every McDonald's I've been to in the US in the last few years is using the "just in time" system (called "Made For You"), where customers sandwiches are assembled as they're being ordered (like Wendy's). McDonald's ditched the big bin of pre-made food here years ago.

Guess that's not the case in your country... :confused:

19. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Is it wrong to ask for "to go" at drive-thru? :D

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Could be that things are getting lost in translation. (I hope people don't take offense at the remark, because it's not meant to be derogatory in any way.)

Just last night I wanted to buy a gift certificate to my favourite sushi restaurant. The restaurant appears to be staffed by recent immigrants from China who speak Mandarin Chinese but rather little English. Unfortunately I am not (no longer) conversational in Mandarin. I walked in and the hostess gestured and asked, "(Table) for one?" I said "No, I'd like to buy a gift certificate". This simply did not compute, so she repeated: "Table for one?" I said again, "I'd like to buy a gift certificate." Now a bit confused, she picked up a menu, and asked me again, "For how many people?" I finally gave up and found another employee. Turns out the first one not only didn't understand what I was saying, she had never even heard of gift certificates!

As for the fries, whenever I go to McD's it seems like they're making new batches every few minutes, so I figure if you go to a busy restaurant, they won't be too old...

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Our mcdonalds all use the bin system except for breakfasts.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ewww, I'm sorry. :eek:

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What u sorry for my burger is made fresh!

24. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I get the feeling that you have never worked in a food service industry (which could be considered a good thing). And I agree that your instructions are fairly simple and can easily be followed by anyone who's IQ is a non-negative integer.

But having worked in a kitchen for six years (before I went back to school) I can tell you this: If I have ever children who have a severe allergy to a food item, they will NEVER eat out while they live with me. I have seen how food is handled and it can be ugly.

And the main point, that I belive pilotError was alluding to, is analogous to the rules of the road: Will it really matter who was right or wrong when someone is dead?

Anyways, I think McDonald's is trying to kill us all anyway with that special sauce.....it's special alright! :eek: :D

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I can see everyones point. I have an epi pen which I do carry if I'm eating out. But to deprive a child of something because one part of it they cannot have is silly. I would not stop my son or daughter eating out if that was the case. I did work for mcdonalds many many years ago and I know exactly what there like so it's not a huge shock.

I think it's a case of I've live with this for 24 years and have accepted the fact that I have to be careful. There are other foods that can do the same to me and I am overly careful before I eat.

I tell you what is good though watching a mcdonalds manager sack someone on the spot!