Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecharlesmoore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Ok, So I have still been using my 3GS (which I LOVE) since it came out, but in early January the volume bar thing fell off the side of my phone. I've been adjusting the volume on the screen and it is EATING UP my battery power. Needless to say, i'm looking to upgrade. I always thought that the four looked pretty darn good...but I also heard that the iPhone 5 would bring a redesign. If the redesign is...ugly...would it be wrong to stay with the 4?

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
To be honest, I'm pretty sure the next iphone won't be a redesign. Apple were very satisfied with the iphone 4's design and I don't see them abandoning the form factor any time soon. At most, maybe a slightly larger screen.

And of course you could still get the 4... You'd probably be missing some of the probable enhancements (A5, camera etc.) but get whichever you prefer.

nathanneuroticx

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Melbourne, Australia.
Ok, So I have still been using my 3GS (which I LOVE) since it came out, but in early January the volume bar thing fell off the side of my phone. I've been adjusting the volume on the screen and it is EATING UP my battery power. Needless to say, i'm looking to upgrade. I always thought that the four looked pretty darn good...but I also heard that the iPhone 5 would bring a redesign. If the redesign is...ugly...would it be wrong to stay with the 4?

I just picked up the iPhone 4. I don't personally believe Apple will do a redesign, I think it'll be exactly like the 3G > 3GS upgrade, probably just minor things here and there. But honestly, other than spec buffs, what could they possibly add? If you wanna get the iPhone 4, get it, simple as that.

M-Life

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Hol-Leawood
Dude, get the 4. I am on 2G and have been waiting for the perfect moment to upgrade. It never happens. As soon as the white 4 comes out, I am ordering no questions asked. Not that I have been waiting for the white one, but I'm done waiting and I prefer white anyway.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

You should have bought the iPhone 4 back in January :p
I would just get it now though. If you're really optimistic about waiting for the iPhone 5, then I'd try hitting up an Apple Store to see if they can help you with that.

You'll always find yourself playing the waiting game. I would probably buy an iPhone 4 now too, but my 3GS is doing fine for now so I'm killing two birds with one stone right now.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Buy a brand new 3GS, just $49 @ AT&T.

It's far better than the Antennagate model, then wait & see if Apple gets back on track.

I'm chucking my 4, and buying something else to enjoy.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Dude, get the 4. I am on 2G and have been waiting for the perfect moment to upgrade. It never happens. As soon as the white 4 comes out, I am ordering no questions asked. Not that I have been waiting for the white one, but I'm done waiting and I prefer white anyway.

So I'm not the only one getting a 2G -> 4 upgrade! I've had the 1st gen. iPhone since 2007! :eek: and it never ever failed me. it's been been through rough times, and the back is still almost new :D and of course I'm still on iOS 3.1.3

so switching from that to an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.2 will be a huge leap! I'll be making my switch as soon as WWDC '11 is over, just to see what Apple has planned for iOS 5 and iPhone 5... :rolleyes:

45 Days LEFT!!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

It's far better than the Antennagate model, then wait & see if Apple gets back on track.

Dsagree. I like my 4 much better then the 3GS and have no antenna issues.

Plus, it will cost a lot just to upgrade in the future since you'll be in a 2 year contract. I would just go with the 4.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
If you already have a 3GS, I would wait for the 5. You could try and get an out of warranty replacemente for your 3GS, but really, performance wise the 3GS is very close to the 4. I would tell you to get the 4 if it was earlier in the cycle or if you had a 3G but at this point I would just wait.

Just my two cents of course.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but I also heard that the iPhone 5 would bring a redesign. If the redesign is...ugly...would it be wrong to stay with the 4?
I've not heard any rumor that the iPhone 5 would have a redesign, apple is not about to redesign the IP5 after producing a major redesign with the 4.

Most of the rumors are stating that the IP5 is a minor update that will not come out until this september (no summer release of the iPhone this time).

Personally, I needed a phone so it was a no brainer going for the IP4. If you need one get one. You could always sell it and buy the iPhone 5 unsubsidized if you absolutely love it.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

The problem with that is buying the 3GS for $49 locks you into another 2 year contract. If the OP is fine with keeping a 3GS until his next upgrade from AT&T comes around, probably for the iPhone 6, then it would be a good deal. However if He wants to upgrade to the 5 when it comes out he is out of luck and has to pay full price.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The problem with that is buying the 3GS for $49 locks you into another 2 year contract. If the OP is fine with keeping a 3GS until his next upgrade from AT&T comes around, probably for the iPhone 6, then it would be a good deal. However if He wants to upgrade to the 5 when it comes out he is out of luck and has to pay full price.

At this point in the game, by the time his next upgrade comes around, you might as well wait until iPhone 7. Wow we are thinking too far in advanced. lol

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

Amen, there is always something better around the corner and waiting on it is the worst part. IP4 is awesome, you wont regret it.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
you would be perfectly happy with a 4.

even if the 5 is some crazy bananas on some next sugar honey ice tea, you could sell the 4 and only have to pay a little more to buy a 5 at retail.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I would wait for 5 if you have the 3GS at this point especially... or any point for that matter.

As for your volume rocker falling off, take it to an iPhone repair shop or do it yourself using ifixit.com manual.. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Volume-Button/4490/1

If that's your only gripe... I'd wait for the 5 still. Especially with 4's antenna-gate defect

Don't over pay at a repair shop.. btw

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
IP4 is awesome, you wont regret it.

I agree :)

I was the type that would blow through smartphone after smartphone on craigslist in order to find that "perfect phone" that would do everything for me. I tried to make it work with a ton of Android phones but in the end the iPhone 4 was everything I wanted it to be and then some!

- Internet anywhere I go
- Voice recorder
- GPS turn by turn directions (Navigon)
- Bluetooth keyboard support for PC like typing ability
- Netflix streaming to television
- Amazing camera
- Great music player
- Book reader
- Beautiful form factor
- Great game / app selection
- Video chatting
- Flashlight replacement
- The best battery life of any smartphone I've used

I really can't think of anything more that I would need. I finally found a phone that satisfies my desire for an all in one device... the iPhone 4 :)

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Personally, I would wait until the 5 announcement.
At tha point you can choose to get the 5 or maybe a used 4. After the market gets flooded with 4's the prices will drop.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes buying an iPhone 4 is wrong at this time. Don't you know the sky will part and lighting will shoot at you if you buy an iPhone after November? At that point you should just wait until the next revision. The iPhone gods will be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.