Is Leopard really worth all this headache?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JD76, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JD76 macrumors member

I downgraded to Tiger and im loving it... Why put yourself thru this stress? For Time Machine and Spaces? My health is worth more...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. TaylorB macrumors regular

I am really starting to wonder the same thing. Why does it seem like I am the only person that can corrupt an apple machine just by daily use..

4. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Same here. Sorry if Leopard doesn't work for you, but frankly, I'd have way more stress using an inferior OS like Tiger.

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues either. And no issues plus Quick Look/Cover Flow, Time Machine, Spaces, Stacks, updates to iCal/Mail/iChat/DVD Player/Preview, Finder improvements, non destructive partition resizing, the mosaic screensaver, improved Automator, non-beta Boot Camp, Web Clips, Movie widget, syncing settings/Dock/Dashboard via .Mac, Back to My Mac/Screen Sharing and Front Row on all my computers with DVD playback have been more than enough features that I actually consistently use and appreciate for me to never return to Tiger.

6. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

No problems from my end either. Most of the noticeable glitches on my machine were resolved earlier with the 10.5.1 update, and so far 10.5.2 is also running reliably on my iMac. Time Machine alone makes the upgrade to Leopard worthwhile. It by far the most intuitive and unintrusive backup program I've ever used. Quick Look and Cover Flow are also very functional improvements that I now use all the time.

7. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I did the "update" option first which resulted in laggy graphics and several glitches, so I reformatted with a clean install of Leopard and it's working great now.

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Alllll goooood here :)

Bit quicker, Safari is alot quicker! :D

Loving it :cool:

9. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

10. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

No problems here. I can't live without CoverFlow in the Finder now anyway. Plus Time Machine is very useful.

Tiger feels old fashioned now!

11. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

Out of two operating systems where one is rock solid (Tiger) and the other is about as stable as Tom Cruise (Leopard) then I certainly wouldn't refer to the rock solid one as 'inferior'.

The job of an OS is to provide a platform to run apps. Not to be so full of whizz bang bells and whistles that it keeps falling over.

12. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

No problems here either. And I just upgraded on my 2 machines and didn't do a clean reinstall like I did with previous releases. Almost 2 moths now and not a single problem. I can't tell a speed difference on my iMac but my PowerBook certainly feels faster under Leo than under Tiger.

13. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, other than the fact that some software is now Leopard only, personally I've upgraded a large number of machines (both personal and work) and not had one single issue of any importance....

I seem to recall lots of people saying the same thing about Panther vs. Tiger.... Oh well... :cool:

14. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It's worth the annoyances to get Arrange By Kind... in Column view. That justified the $129 upgrade. :)

15. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I think the vast majority of users have experienced very few, if any, problems.

Problem with reading something like MacRumors is that people tend to come on when they have a problem or a complaint that they need help fixing. I think this blows all Leopard problems way out of proportion.

Don't forget, Apple have shipped well over 5 million copies now.

16. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Ditto, if you elaborate we may be able to help.

17. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

No problems with G4 PB, except a minor one where Mail still does not want to add new mail messages to the Spotlight index and I just do it manually when I need it. New mail sound is also gone kooky with Leopard, but that is a minor thing as well.

18. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Yea I'm not having any problems on my G4 iBook. Leopard is working great for me. There might be a few hiccups and small little problems I see now and then, but the new additions are well worth the upgrade. With Quicklook alone, I would say I got my moneys worth.

19. mantic macrumors 6502a

Not to me.. Tiger is stable and get's eveything i need done.. I'll update when Leapard has fewer bugs that would effect me.

20. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

What stress? I've been using Leopard since it was released and I don't have any issues at all.

21. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

Care to elaborate? I've been using Leopard every day since it was released and it hasn't "fallen over" once.

22. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

23. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

What stress? There are a lot more improvements in Mac OS X 10.5 than just Time Machine and Spaces, such as the fact that the Finder is multi-threaded and doesn't beachball when accessing a slow network share or when a CD/DVD needs to spin up, and there are user interface refinements all around. It's easier to access things in Leopard than in Tiger.

24. mantic macrumors 6502a

I like how you guys are like "what stress?", "what problems?", "what are you talking about?"... Look at the forum.. If you can read ... people ARE HAVING PROBLEMS!!

25. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

By that logic Microsoft Windows should be the most amazingly awesome OS ever conceived.