Is Lion lining up to be a disaster for Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jonathanc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jonathanc macrumors newbie

Lion has only been on the Mac App Store for a few hours, but already this and other websites are being flooded with posts from people who are experiencing an array of issues with Lion.

And its not just typical installation queries or learning the quirks of a new system. These are issues with the highlight features of the OS, such as Mission Control.

In October 2010, at the "Back to the mac" event, Apple publicly unveiled Lion with it's headline features. There has been several developers releases through 2011, climaxing in a GM seed a couple of weeks ago.

What has gone wrong in the year since, that there are still major bugs in Lion.

Apple has built a reputation on the cliche of "it just works", but clearly in this case "it just doesn't!"

Of course 10.7.1, 10.7.2, etc will come, and the fixes will be made, but that drags it in the direction of a certain Redmond OS beginning with V. It started off limping and eventually after many months of patches and fixes became an ok OS.

Apple have missed an opportunity here to put more clearwater between themselves and Microsoft, but time is now going to be wasted fixing Lion. In those precious months, Windows 8 will start to show itself and gather interest.

Another issue is that iOS 5 and iCloud are scheduled for the fall, but will Lion be ready to seamlessly fuse with them, or will those releases expose more holes in the fence.

What are your thoughts on Lion as an issue for Apple. Will it cause damage?

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Well I have used it all day on my 2010 IMac and can't find any problems, I'm downloading it on my MBP as I type. I'm pretty happy at the moment.

3. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Are you for real?

It's a new operating system. You people think .0 releases are without any bugs?

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Lion is working perfectly for a vast majority of people who've upgraded. The "major bugs" you speak of is a fabrication. To compare Lion to Vista is just ignorance on your part.

5. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Flooded?, you have to keep things in perspective.

Even if 1000 (which I havent seen, anywhere near that amount) people posted problems (granted not everyone posts.) But I'd willing to assume the number of downloads today is in the 100,000's of thousands if not million+.

Personally I upgraded 4 macs today , not 1 single issue.

An big problem would be if 10-20% of people were having problems. Right now it appears a few % are having problem, which would be "normal".

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

7. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

i have yet to find an issue, and i have been on my macbook for a bit now.

8. dionnfr macrumors member

No problems here on my MBP, just begun downloading to my AIR.

9. rien333 macrumors regular

It would be pretty strange if everyone started threads like "Lion installed perfectly!" No problems at all.". However, if there is an issue, people want it fixed, and because of that they will probably make a new thread. That way it seems like there are more people with issues then people without issues.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Apple's profits will continue to rise. This OS release will not stop that.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No offense OP but you must have not been around for any OS release. Its not possible to release an OS without bugs. I myself ran into a bug but it was no issue, I did a PRAM reset and its gone. I expect to find bugs since I'm an early adopter.

When you beta software in a lab or to devs your not going to find every issue, thats to find the biggest bugs and fix them. On release, many more will surface which is expected and they will be fixed.

Lion is on my air and so far its great.

12. joenj07087 macrumors member

13. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

The vast majority of the world doesn't give a toss about MacOS. So even if it fails, it's a tiny drop in a huge bucket.

14. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've had no problems at all with Lion since I installed it this morning and I'm running it on a marginal system - older Mac mini with 2GB. I really like all the new features with my two favorites being the new Mail and Launchpad.

15. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Oh yes it does work, actually it is great, specially if you take into account that this is .0 version.

16. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

Why is there always so much doom and gloom when a new OS is released? I just love the "it's Apple's Vista" statements. I believe they said the same thing about Snow Leopard.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

10.3.0 wiped certain FW drives when connected to a Mac and the Mac was rebooted.
    10.4.0 had all sorts of security issues with dashboard.
    10.5.0 and 10.6.0 had some issues too.

18. rogermbp13 macrumors newbie

wow... thats constructive criticism... keep using a windows OS and keep struggling with the blue screen of death and the numerous amounts of viruses out there :)

19. rogermbp13 macrumors newbie

oh and so far so good. i have to get used to mission control and launch pad but everything seems to be running smoothly. The inverted scrolling... its just not me i guess , i have been used to the "old" way of doing things, but hey its a good change.

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

If you think Lion is bad, then you're in for a surprise when Windows 8 first launches.

I think more could have been done for OS 10.7, but overall I'm very happy!

21. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I'm loving Lion... except the changes to gestures... but I'll adapt. The best part is it fixed some major issues I was having networking with older Windows machines and printers. Finally I'm back to being able to use Parallels at work rather than having to boot into Bootcamp while in the office and everything just works!

22. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

23. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Have you upgraded to Lion yourself yet.... I upgraded my MacBook and it has been fine.... Will await reviews from pros on whether all the apps I work with are working 100% with lion before I upgrade the Mac Pro.

24. TrickyRick macrumors member

It's funny how everyone in this thread says "It worked fine, no problems" and yet, if you look at the threads in this forum most of them are "This doesn't work" "This bug here" "Help me do this" "Did they remove that".

I love Apple stuff and I like Lion as well but it's definitely not working perfectly, it has its flaws just like any other .0 release. Comparing it to Vista is a bit harsh though. The important question in the software industry nowadays is (Unfortunately) not how good a product is at launch but rather how fast it will be patched and that remains to be seen.