Is Lion worth $30?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by xMBPx, Jul 19, 2011.

?

IS lion worth $30?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but am I missing something? I haven't really been following all the Lion buzz, but it seems all I see mentioned in articles is the "new gestures." I don't feel like paying $30 for a couple of new finger gestures that should be free if you have the hardware.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are quite a few new features, but you'll have to make the decision for yourself ... if you don't care about them, and SL works for you, then save the money.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Let me enlighten you.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Gestures are just one item. Making the entire OS 64 bit, and making the system more efficient is the big deal, as well as just generally making the system better.

TEG

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

7. Soliber macrumors regular

8. cristnotchrist macrumors newbie

I can't tell if you're serious..
    Why don't you take 2 minutes to read this forum, do a google search, read any review on Lion or read the Lion page over at apple.com
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
    :rolleyes:

Then make your own decision if it's worth $30 dollars to you.

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Lion is worth $30 much more than a new video game is worth $60 (and the video game gets old after a few weeks).

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yes it is. Its less than the price of a PS3 game and you are getting a whole operating system for that amount

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You probably piss away $30 on lesser crap all the time. As lackluster as you may think it is, it's still a great bargain for a whole operating system... You have no idea how many hours of development and R&D go in to this... They are practically giving it away. Stop being a tightwad. I'm sure you've spent $30 bucks or more on junk before.

12. Photics macrumors regular

I don't know... I'm not that impressed with Lion. As a Mac developer, I think I can get it for free... but I haven't downloaded it yet. I think the big thing is that I still have a mouse. Lion seems more interesting if you have a trackpad or a laptop.

One of the big things that bothered me about Mac was the lack of a right-click. Slowly, it's been more mainstream on the Mac. I was really impressed when Apple made the right-click button part of the MacBook trackpad... very sweet!

And now with Lion, you can bust out ninja-like gestures! :D

I think what bothers me about Lion is that it's more like iOS... and I think that's a step backwards. But unfortunately, tablets and smartphones are taking over the once mighty desktop.

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

14. MowsMek macrumors newbie

MowsMek

250 new features

hell yeah its worth it, 250 new features in os x 10.7... its scary cheap when you think windows 7 sold for almost 300,00$ when it was actually a final version of the beta they called vista;P

15. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

SL was 64 bit too right? And wouldn't making it more efficient suggest it ran faster and using less resources? They're saving that for 10.8 mountain lion because this release crawls...

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

For £20, the OS is a steal. Even if it only included the gestures and full screen apps I'd still upgrade at that price. Can't wait :D

17. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

For a complete OS with a ton of new features, or course.

18. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Considering previous Mac OS cost 130 (except SL), the answer is obvious.

19. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

249....they forgot full screen chess ;)

20. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

It's worthless at the moment, because it's not out yet...

21. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Well i personally wouldn't consider it a completely new o.s. But rather a SL feature pack. There is nothing technically new and radically different about lion apart from the gui, no software requiring lion over leopard. SL+ would be an appropriate name, and for a 'mere' featurepack €23 isn't that cheap.

22. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Couldn't be truer...

That plus once it is released.

If you don't buy it how will you know if you think it's worth it?

23. monaarts macrumors 65816

First off, SL was 64bit but not all the programs that worked in conjunction with it were (e.g. iTunes, iLife, iWork, etc.) And what do you know about what Apple's plans are? They can only optimize an OS so much to ensure it works on previous models as well. If they made Lion everything that it possibly could be, it would only work on quad-core i5 processors with 8GB+ memory. People already bitched about SL only supporting 64bit systems, imagine if they did this. I don't think you understand how an OS work.

24. monaarts macrumors 65816

I do believe I read that they rewrote the OS from the ground up. So, although it might not be a completely new OS, the coding is optimized better than SL.

25. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

@Original Poster,
    There are 250+ new features as well as 3500 new APIs for developers.