Is MacRumors slow to load on Safari for anyone else?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by s2mike, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have noticed that the site is stalling, hanging, freezing and is very slow to load today.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The site is stalling, hanging, freezing and is very slow again this evening.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Again, the site is stalling, freezing, hanging, (and freezing again when you press "send post" which leads to double posting) and very slow to allow one to open pages.

4. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I'm postulating the traffic from the announcement next week is wreaking havoc with the load balancers.:cool:

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But the announcement isn't until next week?

Yes, I daresay that there are threads in the "will it/won't it" categories.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The sits has been hanging, stalling, freezing (conditions that led to double and treble posting of the same post) and difficult to open for most of today.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have noticed that the forum is pretty slow to load today.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The forum seems to be very slow - stalling and double-posting as well - today.

9. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

All weekend for me. Finally loads when I'm in the middle of typing my reply and forces the page to refocus so I lose my place. It's actually OK right now for me.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, it was poor enough yesterday, too, but I thought to hold off commenting on (or reporting) that until today.

11. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

12. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

What do these numbers mean? Explanation?

13. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

I'm not sure what needs further explanation, but I'll try.

The Load Time is how long it takes for the page to fully load.

Page Size is, well the file size of the entire homepage. 18MB is obnoxiously large for a text-content-heavy site.

Requests are how many times the page pings the server for some piece of information (code, etc.)

Ads are how many visible ads are on the page. This can include items like the price lists, etc. that don't appear to be an ad, but they actually are in a way - because they're not primary content.

Trackers are how many different cookies and other tracker code are tracking what you click on, where you came from, where to go when you leave, etc.

Social Annoyances are how many social media share buttons and other social media-related bits of code are found on the page. These also contribute to the Tracker count.

In summary:
    MacRumors has a ridiculous amount of ads, trackers, and javascript code to support them that makes the page size huge, thus making it take a long time to load. The speed is also reduced due to the javascript code for the ads to load from the advertiser server (which is out of MacRumor's control, beyond just getting rid of the rogue ad).

If you run a decent AdBlocker type of extension in Safari and block all forms of ads, MacRumors loads almost instantly.

14. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure what "normal" number were for these statistics.

15. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Site has been very slow to load on threads with images, such as the one photo a day threads. Yes, I know images will slow a page load due to size, but it seems it's been MUCH slower the last 2 iOS betas and now Mohave beta 4 (I didn't update to beta 5). Crawling slow.

If I kill Safari and start it again the page springs to life, as if it was already loaded and sitting in the cache.

I've been fiddling with different ad blockers, thinking it was their fault. When that doesn't seem to help I'll blame the beta I'm on. I even set up my wifi to have a separate 5 GHz channel.

In any event, the site was much faster for me 2 betas ago.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That has been my experience both yesterday and today; today, even accessing the site has been difficult at times.

17. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

This started only two or three days ago. When browsing through any category, in the 'threads' section, before entering any thread, it is lagging quite heavily. Same behaviour while coursing through threads.
    It's as if the phone were very old and lacked power to run it. I don't know if it's just me. Happening on an iPhone 6s and a 9.7 iPad Pro, both on iOS 9.
    Seemed fast on my Mac on El Cap, but I didn't browse for any significant period of time.
    Edit: Other sites are perfectly fine.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is excruciatingly slow to load, today, and exceptionally slow for everything else too, (such as sending posts, clicking on 'likes', checking alerts and so on).

19. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

Oddly, now it seems to be fine again for me. Works fluently as expected.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This morning, the forum has been very slow, hanging, stalling, taking an age to open pages, post replies, or accept "likes".

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very slow today - and very difficult to even access the forum.

Staling, freezing, hanging and double posting are all issues along with not being able to even access the forums.

22. jtara macrumors 68000

As pointed out by others, with all the c**p it loads, slow load times are to be expected.

The site seems to load plethora of advertising network scripts (whether actually used on the page or not) and about a half a zillion tracking scripts.

On the upside, there are several scripts that do not load because they are referenced with an http: url, which Chrome refuses to load, since the site is https: and Chrome refuses to load with a shield with a red "x" icon, and if you hover you get:

"This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources".

You'd think they'd want to at least fix that to avoid scaring users.

The plus is that's one or more scripts that aren't loaded and don't add to the bloat.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm not sure about "to be expected".

It is slow: But, there is difference between "slow" and "complete stall" which is what I have experienced both today and yesterday.

Plus, "Service denied" message and the more usual '503 Error" message (on the football - i.e. soccer - thread); both today.

24. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

So far, it has never stalled or slowed down again; on the contrary, it has been blazing fast.

25. Atomic77 macrumors regular

Atomic77

I have not really noticed anything on my iPad mini 2 with this site.