Is Office 2008 stable yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bendobb, Jun 2, 2009.

1. bendobb macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've just proudly purchased a new iMac 24", and for various reasons will need a copy of Office. I already have 2004, but find it very slow on my 20" white iMac and it crashes a lot.

I've heard some terrible reviews about office 2008 saying how crash-happy it was, and that people have resorted back to 2004. Have any of you any experience with this? Have the latest updates help fix the problem?

Thanks for any views on the matter.

Ben

2. bmacir macrumors 6502

It has now passed the alpha testing stage of development....

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I haven't had any crash issues with Office 08 even before I updated it.

4. bendobb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hee hee, maybe "stable" was the wrong word to use! I'm sure you get my drift though.

5. bendobb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's good to hear - on the amazon and apple pages there are a lot of negative reviews, but maybe it's just a few bad experiences going a long way!

6. Grasbak macrumors 6502

No crahses on my new 24" iMac.

I have noticed sluggish performance though - especially in excel. It can't keep up with using the arrow keys to move around quickly!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Office 2008 works perfectly fine for me. I haven't had any problems at all, and I'm usually pounding Excel for several hours a day.

8. bendobb thread starter macrumors newbie

That all sounds very reassuring. Thanks. I think I'll take the plunge!

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I've used it since it's initial outing. It did crash a little at the beginning, but several updates later (perhaps even a service pack, can't remember) and Office has just taken me through a year of intensive final year studies without a single crash.

11. macgrl macrumors 65816

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never had a problem is MS Office, either performance related or bug related because I use NeoOffice. All of the office compatibility and functionality for zero cost.

If I can avoid giving M$ any of my money (or information, i.e., activation) then I will. NeoOffice is just one part of that strategy.

I also run Ubuntu on my bootcamp partition instead of windows and to be honest, it runs better and leaner then windows, esp. Vista.

13. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Used it at work when it first came out for about 6 months and never had an issue with it. However, a colleague of mine was forever rebuilding his Entourage database

14. macgrl macrumors 65816

To be honest the only part of office that I use is word so I can't really comment about the other programs.

15. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

office 2008 works just fine on my uMBP 2.4ghz

16. Emerica macrumors member

I use Word and Powerpoint and I have used Excel a little bit and they all run fine for me. I believe I had a crash or two but none lately.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I got it from my University for $7, so while it may be slow it does the job just fine for the price.

Having said that, there is one annoying bug I noticed. When in Word, notebook mode for note taking, if you draw with the sketch tool then try to undo, word crashes. Every single time for me. Besides that, it never crashes, its just way slow.

So I think it was worth the $7 I paid.

18. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

iWork! Unless you really have to. It might lack some of the most advanced features (that next to no-one uses anyway), but is a pleasure to use compared to Office!

Edit:
    iWork! Unless you really have to use Office.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go iWork! Why use the best tool for the job when you can half-ass the solution after all?

20. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

To the OP, recently MS created a 30 day trial offer for Office 08. If you look for it on their site, you can download it, see if it works sufficiently for your needs, then buy a license if it does. If not, you are out no money and can look elsewhere.

21. hypertech macrumors newbie

22. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Mine too! I haven't had any issues with it at all.

23. skapusta macrumors newbie

iWork

I have iWork, but when someone sends you an excel attachment - iWork=noWork.

24. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have had absolutely no issues with using office 2008 on my macbook. I have been taking notes in school with it everyday for the past 5 months and have had no problems. I would recommend buying it.

25. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Good to see some positive experiences on 2008.

It might be time for me to finally leave Office X behind. I bought 2008 when there was that super cheap 1 day deal where you buy 2007 for cheap, then get a free or cheap upgrade to 2008. It's been sitting in its box since then.

(yep. "X". Still running fine on Rosetta - shows how little I use it or how light weight my tasks are)

I have iWork, so lately the few projects I have had have been done there.