IS OLED REQUIRED FOR YOU NEXT PURCHASE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pr0230, Aug 19, 2016.

1. pr0230 Suspended

For me , I am only considering getting a new iPhone when something NEW is offered. The iPhone 7 is dreadfully unimpressive in that respect... IF OLED is offered, that would be enough for me to get the new phone. And also knowing that the 2017 WILL have it , would keep me from buying a 2016 Phone without it.

OLED , YES/NO?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I honestly don't see the big deal when it comes to OLED. To me, OLED washes out the display in sunlight and is overly saturated. I'm more concerned about camera, battery and waterproofing. I would be perfectly happy with a slightly higher resolution IPS display. So no, OLED is not a deal breaker for me. Also, they are still only rumors about 2017 iPhone, nothing has been confirmed and won't be for over a year.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

5. 2457248 Suspended

OLED is just a display technology, it says nothing about picture quality.
    current iphones and ipads have some of the best displays in terms of accuracy and color reproduction (see here and there).

possible OLED display advantages are:
    - higher contrast ratio (though we're already over 1000:1 with current LCDs),
    - somewhat lower power consumption.
    - else?

i'm more interested in the end results rather than a spec-sheet.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

OLED displays are notorious for being overly saturated. Colors are overly vivid and do really match true colors. I used an S6 for a few months and couldn't stand the color saturation compared to my iPhones. That is end results and not spec related. Power consumption is only less when displaying dark colors, IPS is better for light colors. iOS is still predominantly light colors and will most likely remain so as long as its using an IPS display.

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

OLED, like Samsung S7 or Note 7, then absolutely I will buy. Hopefully along with a bunch of other updates.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

My next phone will likely be OLED.

If the 2017 iPhone doesn't have it, then I'll go elsewhere. Why not?...I'm not married to the Apple ecosystem and Samsung has listened to their critics more than Apple has listened to their's.

Android as a platform is capable enough.

9. UKapple macrumors regular

Very true. Samsung do listen to their customers hence the return of expandable storage and waterproofing in the S7. Apple on the other hand is a pure dictatorship.

10. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

Hasn't this been refuted millions of times? The oversaturation comes from a customizable display profile on the Galaxy line, in which you could change in a few taps.

Power consumption still holds true though; white screens will consume more power on AMOLED displays but it's not an issue that the everyday consumer would notice or care about.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

OP, what benefits are you hoping to receive with OLED?

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OLED is a non-issue for me entirely
    Ask 100 random iPhone users on the street today and I bet 98 would have no idea what you are talking about

13. admob71 Suspended

admob71

While iPads etc may have some of the best displays going, you conveniently forget to mention the absolute best displays are all amoled made by Samsung in the galaxy series.. this is not even remotely debatable either.
    Ps, the colour saturation thing is a case of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. All galaxy models have different display modes. You can have natural, saturated etc, depending on your mood. Nothing at all like you read on here, as if it's stuck on cartoon mode.

Have y'all a lovely evening.

14. bufffilm, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

They won't know what is it, but you show them the display from a Samsung or Nexus amoled screen and compare it to the iPhone, and they'll notice for sure then.

As for overstaturation, the post before mine addresses that.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

And then take it out into direct sunlight and ask which screen is better. My S6 was unusable in direct sunlight, at least my 6s is partially usable.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Any screen in direct sunlight will be hard to read...amoled or not.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Actually the ipad pro has the best and most accurate color rendition under every lighting condition.

To answer the basic question, oled wouldn't either propel me to buy a phone or sway my decision not to buy a phone.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

But you have to admit that AMOLED is worse than IPS. I have yet to see an AMOLED screen hold up in direct sunlight as well as IPS. (Kindle's don't count lol)

19. I7guy macrumors G5

My 6s with polarized sunglasses is easy to read in direct sunlight.

20. enriquesh96 macrumors regular

enriquesh96

I really dont care much about OLED. i am more into camera/battery improvements

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Well if the ip8 gets an amoled screen (as some early speculation hint at), it's going to be worse on the iPhone too.

22. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

`
    I personally do not look at it in the direct sunlight, I go under a tree or in the house, duh

23. admob71 Suspended

admob71

Actually it hasn't, displaymate has just crowned the note 7 the best mobile screen ever made.. but what do they know eh..

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

So you are talking about a device that just launched, versus something that has been proven for a minimum of 6 months? You can't compare a new screen to a 6+ month old screen. Thats not fair.

25. noobinator macrumors 601

Almost a year actually.