Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonnyappleskins

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
I appreciate your view, but I want to point out the other side. ESD screwdrivers cost $2-$3 more than non-ESD. For all the discussion here about warranty, one thing is clear. If you zap your Mac mini, the warranty won't be covering it.

I own a standard Torx T9, but I've ordered an ESD T9 for this project.

Agree. I think the point is that if you already have non-ESD screwdrivers, there is no sense in re-ordering them. I would recommend to anyone with or without ESD screwdrivers to get an ESD wristband. I have seen all kinds of hardware in my lifetime get screwed up from ESD. I dont know the exact numbers but ESD can happen at levels below what you can feel. So there are a lot of people out there who don't take proper precautions, mess things up and still dont know that it was the ESD that did it. Wristbands and other ESD gear is cheap. Get some and hang on to it. It you are a tech enthusiast and/or DIYer, they will earn their keep. I promise you.

Just got my Mac Mini. Time to rip this sucker open with forensic style grace and poise. Wish me luck!

Jonnyappleskins

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018

Attachments

• 9711BCB8-6959-482F-9B1A-7B59D27DD445.jpeg
    9711BCB8-6959-482F-9B1A-7B59D27DD445.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 514
Reactions: F-Train

thoang77

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
SF Bay Area
Interesting. Dombera used a T6 and a T9. However, these might well adequately fit the screws on which you used a T5 and a T10.
I did originally grab a T9 and it did fit, but a 10 fit better so that's what I elected for. The only security screws are the 6 on the exterior, the rest are standard. I'll do a write up shortly

Reactions: Miat and F-Train

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Torx can allow for a little "fudge factor", if the tolerances (fasteners or tools) are a little off and the fasteners aren't super tight.

My thought exactly. I have interchangeable faceplates on a Sony RX0 camera (sort of like a GoPro) on which I can use a T4 or a T3, and never have quite figured out which is "correct".

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
That was quick

Looks totally doable. Easier than the hard drive replacement I had to do on the inlaws iMac years back.

Reactions: Miat

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Reactions: archer75

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@Dr. Stealth So no way to fiddle the RAM (and cage/cover) out with the logic board in place, right? It doesn't seem like it, but the actual space/clearance isn't totally clear from the photos.

I mean, by the time you've removed the bottom plate, antenna/cover, fans, etc., it's not much more to go ahead and slide the board out, but was just curious :)

Oh, did see the really clear photo with the fasteners on the cage, those would be tricky, I'm gonna say that's a big no (but no biggie :D)

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
I'm trying to order some screwdrivers :)

Which ones did you use? Also, how did you get the backplate off?

Ignore if you're going to do a write-up, or are engaged at the moment with a glass of celebratory champagne.

A spudger or even Credit card should do.

Reactions: F-Train

L-Viz

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2017
Some pics (sorry for the quality), highlighted areas wher you need to be careful.
[doublepost=1541599169][/doublepost]More:
[doublepost=1541599262][/doublepost]I will be testing it more (i5 noisem etc) but cannot spend more time on this right now, sorry folks. Hopefully you've found it useful ;)

dombera, on Your voyage to boldly go, where no one has gone before, have You spotted the SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.