Is skipping Breakfast common?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HEALER FLAME, May 10, 2019.

1. HEALER FLAME, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Even though breakfast is the most important meal of the day many people prefer to skip it.
    For me breakfast is a must, i really get up very hungry after many hours on bed all night so no matter what i must have at least a hot tea and toast otherwise i won't function well.

Where i come from breakfast and lunch are considered the main meals where as dinner is not, unlike Australia and many countries dinner is the main meal of the day.

Those who skip breakfast please tell us why?
    If you enjoy breakfast please share favorite meals.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2019 ---
    Here are some of my fav breakfast meals...
    Multicolour-scrambled-eggs-skillet-with-vegetables-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-8.jpg

Fried eggs with onion,tomatoes and green chilis and Almond croissants.

2. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Honestly I rarely eat breakfast. It’s mostly because I just don’t have the time to eat it. When I get up, I have to go to work soon after, so the first meal I eat is lunch which is around 1:00 pm. I also make sure to eat a big dinner every evening. I live in the eastern US.

Also, I’m curious about another piece of information you mentioned. I recently heard a report citing that breakfast is not actually the most important meal of the day. And that no meal is more important than the other. Apparently the idea that breakfast is the most important meal was created by cereal companies years ago to help with marketing. What do y’all think about it? Here’s a link from the BBC regarding the value of different meals.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181126-is-breakfast-good-for-your-health

3. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Thanks for the sharing your opinion and article. I think nature would want us to deposit or refuel after 8-9 hours in bed. I can post an article opposite to yours so i guess its differs from person to person.
    I can feel the urge for food as soon as i wake up so nature is telling me to recharge for the day.

4. radiologyman, May 10, 2019

radiologyman macrumors 6502a

I have been skipping breakfast for months... I am not hungry in the morning and it saves time. While I also do it to lose weight, the biggest benefit of intermittent fasting is forcing body to clean up from cellular debris during starvation. Read up on autophagy, recent Nobel prize.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2016/press-release/

5. HEALER FLAME, May 10, 2019

HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

https://www.inc.com/john-rampton/breakfast-tips-7-reasons-you-shouldn-t-skip-breakfast.html

http://time.com/4786181/skipping-breakfast-health-benefits/
    Mmmm.....

6. Zenithal, May 10, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 604

My idea of breakfast usually consists of either porridge with chopped nuts and dried fruit or cheese, bread, some variety of smoked meat. Usually meusli in the summer. I don't have the appetite for a sweet breakfast. My idea of a brunch is a plate of olives and a few drinks.

Edit: Wait, no, Veuve Clicquot makes a nice demi-sec that's appropriate for a brunch.

7. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Hardly eat porridge for breakfast. I am addicted to almond croissants with cappuccino on Sundays :D

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Eat when you are hungry sleep when you are tired. Try sleeping when you aren’t tired doesn’t work. Eating when you aren’t hungry doesn’t work either. We humans have forget how to listen to our bodies. We require an outside source to command us what to do and when. Kinda pathetic really.

The other poster is correct about cereal company’s promoting and pushing the idea that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. They brainwashed people into believing this based off of a cherry picked study they did.

9. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

But not everybody consumes cereals 7 days a week. There are thousands ways to eat breakfast.

Eating a well balanced nut rated breakfast benefits than not eating at all in my opinion.
    Food boosts your immune system , keeps you warm and defend many diseases.

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I've been having overnight oats lately, which are the easiest thing ever and come out great. Just rolled oats, almond milk, berries, and vanilla extract in a mason jar.

I don't ever skip breakfast, personally.

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I’d like to see the fitness vs fatness of these breakfast eaters vs breakfast skippers.
    You’ve been sold brainwashing bull ****. Sometimes I eat breakfast sometimes I skip. Sometimes I sleep sometimes I don’t. For what it’s worth I fall into the fitness bracket not the fatness.

12. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

No, not sold at all. I don't even eat cereals much especially in the mornings. I am just listening to my body.

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Why are you so hung up on cereals? The brainwashing started and was funded and pushed by the cereal companies. That’s all.

14. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Same here i fall into fitness bracket, i have a sporty road bike, i walk and jog a lot too.

Regarding to your question re skippers v eaters study please watch the video above.

15. Zxxv macrumors 68040

If you eat a lot at night before going to bed you won’t be hungry in the morning and therefore won’t require breakfast. If on the other hand you are fearful of eating at night because you have been told you will get fat then you will be hungry in the morning and will require breakfast UNLESS you use drugs to fuel your day in the form of zombie must have coffee can’t talk before drugs coffee.
    Then at night must have drugs to come down from the coffeee in form of alcohol.

Many of the studies fail to include people’s drug use.

16. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Off topic....you are diverting from the topic above. Just tell us yes or no please thanks.

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

No I’m not. See this is how studies get cherry picked. You don’t like the info provided so you ignore it as it doesn’t fit your agenda.

18. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Thanks for your contribution anyway, its good to hear different opinions.

19. LeeW macrumors 6502a

LeeW

I want to eat breakfast but just can't, even though I get up in plenty of time to eat the thought of eating just puts me off, coffee, yes, food no. So for me, lunch is the most important.

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I always eat breakfast on week days. I am not hungry per se, and didn't eat breakfast for many years as a teen, but now I can feel a clear difference in how my brain functions with or without breakfast. I am much clearer in the head, and prepared for a full day of work if I get my breakfast, so I force myself to eat it.

21. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I only eat what my body needs. I keep my portions humble and well spaced out. Worst thing you can do it snack between meals. Your body sufficient stores protein, sugar and fats. Snacking for emotional or compulsive reasons in the long term is bad for the health. Obvious stuff.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I never skip breakfast. Never have.
    I eat porridge mostly. Skimmed milk and a bit of sugar.
    Mrs AFB makes me breakfast in bed Mon-Friday.
    At the weekends I tend to eat other cereal. Usually wholewheat something or other.

Also tea. Tea is an important part of breakfast, lunch and dinner!

23. HEALER FLAME thread starter macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Yep tea is the King of hot drinks. I drink at least twice or 3 times a day.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

7-13 for me! Off to make one now.

25. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

A lot of people I know skip breakfast.

Me? I usually skip dinner due to heartburn and wake up super hungry. Breakfast is usually my largest meal.

The coworkers I know that skip breakfast do so for dietary reasons. They only eat from 11am - 7pm.

I feel sluggish, out of energy, seriously distracted by hunger if I don't eat breakfast.