Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9 and 11 inch screens. The 11 seems like it would be more comfortable but I think i'm always going to wish I got the nicer screen that's on the 12.9. Do people that use 12.9 in bed find it way too big to be comfortable?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9 and 11 inch screens. The 11 seems like it would be more comfortable but I think i'm always going to wish I got the nicer screen that's on the 12.9. Do people that use 12.9 in bed find it way too big to be comfortable?

Personally, yes. I do use the 12.9 in bed on occasion but I just find 10-11" models more comfortable for that.

I've also had the 12.9 drop a couple of times on my face while sleepy and it's a lot more painful compared to smaller iPads.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t use my iPads in bed but for any other purposes at home the 12.9 is my favourite iOS device. If you need an entertainment Center in the bedroom, why not get a decent tv and maybe an iPhone on the beside table?

Reactions: TofSanity

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
It just depends on your use case. The 12.9 is fantastic for surfing the internet in portrait mode. (Tons of vertical content while still being wide enough to be able to read the text.)

I find it too big for reading books, checking Twitter, etc. I just replaced mine with a Tab S7 (11-inch) which is better for use in bed.

Last edited:

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I chose the 11 over the 12.9 because I wanted something lighter and smaller. I don’t regret my decision at all. With the Magic Keyboard attached, I can do much of what I do with a laptop but in a very portable form with fantastic battery life and a touchscreen. I watch streaming content on it all the time and the screen is very good. Does it pop as much as the 12.9? No, but having the newer screen technology wasn’t worth the trade-off for a much bigger and heavier device.

Queru

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
I was afraid to make a jump from 10.5 to 12.9 M1. And oh boy no regrets here.

I use it very often as a laptop on magic keyboard. I put it in smart folio case while I use it as a tablet on couch, scrolling through internet or watching content, reading books. Either siting or just putting it on my chest while I ile on bed. I don’t use it to write comments or answer to tweets in tablet mode, for that I definitely need to dock it to MK. But then I get amazing laptop-esque device. But it’s my use case - reading a lot of materials, surfing web, occasional YouTube, trying to learn to draw, using it for note taking.

So answering your questions - no problems with using 12.9 in bed for me.

Of course 11’ inch will be more portable, more comfortable in tablet mode. But 12.9 is just amazing and it’s completely possible to use it as a tablet. Perhaps not that much as 11’ but it’s still doable. Just a matter of getting used to the size.

PS: Nowadays I‘m leaning towards bigger devices. It’s easier to get used to big screen and work around it to streamline experience than buying smaller and be stuck with it. You can’t work around small screen.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009

I use it in bed no problem. Sometimes in the hand and sometimes resting on a pillow. I don’t find it as bad as I expected and it also looks smaller to me in person than it often does in video reviews for some reason.

Reactions: Guapa2

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I currently use a 12.9 IPP and a Mini 6. The Mini is rarely used as I find it too small. Prior to my 12.9 I’ve used just about every iteration of the iPad since the first generation. The screen on the new 12.9 is amazing! I don’t find it too big or heavy, though i don’t use it in bed. If I had to choose only one iPad to use, the 12.9 would win every day.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've been a 12.9 iPP user since the first generation and haven't wavered since... but I understand it's not for everyone. I've grown accustomed to the size and I can't see myself using anything smaller. But why I gravitate toward the larger iPad is primarily due to multitasking... the larger canvas allows for more content to be shown.

I don't have an iPhone.. so it's a essential piece of communication via iMessage. I take my iPP every time that I'm out and keep a sleeve for protection.

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
For me, using an iPad mostly without a hardware keyboard yes, it is too big. The 11 inch display size lends itself better to how far you would normally hold a tablet in front of your face. Going any bigger, I’d prefer the laptop form factor, in which case I’d rather have a MacBook.

I do have the Magic Keyboard when I want to do some serious typing on the go, but those times aren’t too frequent and I have my iPad attached to a Smart Folio most of the time, which is an extremely light and portable setup.

Reactions: blkjedi954

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
You get used to the larger size rather quickly. I had a 2018 12.9" Pro, then switched to a 2020 11" Pro and really missed the size of the larger iPad. I recently switched back to the larger 12.9" Pro (2021) and it's great.
I have no problems using it. You do need to get used to the additional weight, but overall I prefer the larger size ipad.

My wife switched from the original 9.7" Pro and took over the 2018 12.9" Pro and she loves using it. Before I sold the 11", I asked her if she wanted the 11" Pro instead of the 12.9" Pro and she wanted to stay with the larger tablet.

We both use smart folios, so they aren't as heavy as using the keyboard.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I have the first-generation 12.9". Whether for media consumption or as my only 'laptop' it's great. The only thing is, it's a lot to carry around in my hand (it's fine in my backpack). I have a tendency to leave it behind when I go out (and squint at my iPhone). I carried my smaller first-generation iPad nearly everywhere I went, back in the day. I've also used a mini in a work environment where I had to carry it around for hours at a time. Compact is definitely better for carry-in-hand (or carry-in-pocket if you happen to have lab coat-sized pockets), bigger is better for visibility.

Reactions: rui no onna

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I use mine (12.9”) in bed and on the couch all the time. I just rest it on my body so it’s very comfortable to use that way. Same when I’m lying down on a couch. When I’m sitting up I usually put it in the magic keyboard instead of holding it. That said the 12.9 is definitely not a device to hold in the air with 1 hand and use it that way

I had the 11” but I feel that’s just to small now. Especially for my work related use. But even for the entertainment side of it, I prefer the larger iPad pro

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yes. I had the 12.9, gave it to family. Went with the 11 and then a mini. My family is now wanting a 11 since the 12.9 is too big.

Reactions: George Dawes

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
I gave the iPad 12.9 a try for a week and found it way too big for use as a tablet compared to say the iPad Air 11in before returning it. For uses such as in bed, the screen size is far too big and close for comfort.

The iPad 12.9in shines when used with the magic keyboard (it looks like the laptop of the future) or as a drawing tablet with an Apple Pencil. However, I'm not a graphics artist and the iPad as a laptop setup is limited by iOS so doesn't make sense. Ended up returning it and waited for the new MacBook Pro that fits my needs better with the iPad Air filling in the role of a tablet still.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have had both for since 2020 and honestly the 12.9 never left my desk docked on the Magic Keyboard. I also have a folio keyboard for it but every time I tried it, just felt too big and heavy, awkward. The 11" in a folio keyboard is the perfect size for me, I take it everywhere. Sits perfectly in the middle of my steering wheel if I am stuck waiting in the car as well as very handy to take for lunch or coffee.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I’d never use it without some sort of keyboard dock, for me it is a laptop style device not a handheld. I prefer it as a laptop to the MacBooks as well.

Reactions: pdoherty

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
The other thing I feel with my 12.9 is I keep thinking should I of just bought a MacBook pro 14 instead as there really isn’t that much price difference between my 12.9 512gb cellular iPad + MK and the base 2021 MacBook 14 pro or a 2020 M1 13 pro

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The other thing I feel with my 12.9 is I keep thinking should I of just bought a MacBook pro 14 instead as there really isn’t that much price difference between my 12.9 512gb cellular iPad + MK and the base 2021 MacBook 14 pro or a 2020 M1 13 pro

I’d base this on the use case and wether or not one prefers macOS or iOS.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
For me, yes—exchanged it for an 11” and much prefer the smaller size. For you? Not sure. If you look at my post history I recently made a thread about this issue which may help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.