Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

Agreed. This is really just one of those things where you have to try it for yourself to get a good sense of whether it works for you.

Also, if you’re constantly holding the 12.9, it’s going to feel like a beast. If you’ve got it propped up on something or in a case with a stand of some sort (like the MK), then the weight and size is a non-issue. In fact, in that case the size is actually glorious.

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
I kind of find it funny when people call the 12.9 to big as i think of back in the day before the ipad was around and people used thick 15" laptops and seemed to of had no problem with there size

It the same as a few years ago when i was interested in buying a windows gaming laptop and couldn't make my mind up between a 15" or 17" and spend many hours reading threads on the 15" vs 17" size where many people were saying the 17" was to big to be portable but the 15" was a great portable size for using in cafes, on the train etc etc

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I kind of find it funny when people call the 12.9 to big as i think of back in the day before the ipad was around and people used thick 15" laptops and seemed to of had no problem with there size

It the same as a few years ago when i was interested in buying a windows laptop and couldn't make my mind up between a 15" or 17" and spend many hours reading threads on the 15" vs 17" size where many people were saying the 17" was to big to be portable but the 15" was a great portable size for using in cafes, on the train etc etc

Probably because there weren’t a lot of options at the time. My first two laptops were 15” ~5-6 lbs (roughly a couple decades ago). Nowadays, I’ve been eyeing the LG gram 17” (~3 lbs).

I don’t care about cafe or train use but on economy seating on airplanes, 15” laptops are very awkward to use. Honestly, even 13” was a bit awkward since the keyboard is fixed.

Also, while I pretty much perform the same tasks on laptops and iPads, the tablet form factor makes it more flexible in scenarios where I wouldn’t have used the laptops: e.g. while lying in bed on my side (can easily rotate the iPad without risk of breaking or blocking air vents), while waiting in line/queue, in the field at construction sites, etc.

mrLucas

Suspended
Jul 30, 2021
I use it in bed no problem. Sometimes in the hand and sometimes resting on a pillow. I don’t find it as bad as I expected and it also looks smaller to me in person than it often does in video reviews for some reason.
I’ll tell you why. You are a big guy. All the people from videos are XXS. I am often amazed how big ipads look compared to some people. Also I think I should get the 13” version, sicne I’m a big guy as well. 11” is for girls and small boys ?

JOASJOAS

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
A doubt, those who use the magic keyboard, can it be used well on the sofa? is that my partner wanted the 11 inch and I ordered the 12.9 .... I know it will kill me when it arrives. And I wanted to at least find something that she can comfortably wear on the couch hehehehe

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
A doubt, those who use the magic keyboard, can it be used well on the sofa? is that my partner wanted the 11 inch and I ordered the 12.9 .... I know it will kill me when it arrives. And I wanted to at least find something that she can comfortably wear on the couch hehehehe

Lots of MK fans on here, but I've always felt the MK is way too bulky, either with the 11 or 12.9. I'd rather use my 12.9 as a tablet. I do have a pillow-like thing for use on the couch so I don't have to hold it for long periods of time.

Reactions: Guapa2

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
So the answer to the OP is that I have used my 12.9 in bed since the first generation if it’s not leaning against the wall or pillow it’s in the Magic Keyboard or the smart folio I had the first two generations in 12.9 then when they switch the body style in the third generation 12.9 in the first in the 11 inch I decided to try the 11 inch size with the less basil the body then come 2020 and 2021 they switch to the 12.9 again and I would never look back to a smaller size especially being that a 12.9 was replacing my 2015 MacBook Pro I don’t see myself ever going back to a Macbookpro series I will always have my iPad Pro 12.9 than my Mac mini M1 2020 I carry my 12.9 with me wherever I go I also have iPhone 13 pro max

Reactions: Tikatika

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
For me, I found that yes the 12.9in is just too big. Not terribly convenient for grabbing and going, for reading books, and I even found that it was too big for watching videos. The screen is gorgeous, but it was just too big for me.

I traded my 2018 iPP for an M1 11in last summer. Couldn’t be happier. Great for work stuff, travel, whatever.

Reactions: npayme

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
It's too big unless you have a specific use for a larger screen. Otherwise 11" is perfect to me.

Reactions: Tayfun

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I’ve been an 11” user for years and I switched to the 12.9 this year. The move was initially prompted by the mini LED screen. It was just too beautiful to not get. But now that I’ve been using the 12.9 for a while, I’m absolutely not fussed with the size at all. In fact, I quite like it. It’s not too heavy, not too unwieldy. And I don’t use the magic keyboard .

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I switched an 11 for the 12.9 yesterday. It might be too big, the centre of gravity is higher and it seems to fall over more often when it’s on a cushion.

I’m not sure what apple would think if I tried to return it again. I’ll see if I get used to it in a week.

the bigger screen is nice though, when on a tabLe es[ecially

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I switched an 11 for the 12.9 yesterday. It might be too big, the centre of gravity is higher and it seems to fall over more often when it’s on a cushion.

I’m not sure what apple would think if I tried to return it again. I’ll see if I get used to it in a week.

the bigger screen is nice though, when on a tabLe es[ecially
As long as your within the 14 days, Apple do not care :)

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9 and 11 inch screens. The 11 seems like it would be more comfortable but I think i'm always going to wish I got the nicer screen that's on the 12.9. Do people that use 12.9 in bed find it way too big to be comfortable?
I have both and you can’t beat the 12.9. It’s definitely not too big. Pair it with a Magic Keyboard and it’s by far the best iPad out there

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I’ve had all the usual iPads — minis, 10inchers, etc. I bailed on the mini some years ago when it was clear the screen rendered text fuzzy. Since then I’ve used the 11 pro until I upgraded to 2021 12.9. 12.9 is a total game changer. The screen is simply delicious, especially for media consumption. Pair it with AirPods Max and spatial audio and a Marvel movie and you will be transported! As for weight, the 12.9 by itself weighs the same as the 11 with the Smart Keyboard. I use the magic keyboard now for the 12.9 and actually prop the whole rig up on my lap when I am in bed or on the couch surfing. I do not use it for reading but I do for everything else — gonna bite the bullet and try the mini 6 for reading instead of the relatively primitive Kindle Oasis. That said, there are times when it seems too big. I was at a hotel recently and took my ipad 12.9 to breakfast to read the news (whatever happened to printed newspapers at hotels?) and it took up half my table! No room for my OJ! I found myself at that point jonesing for a mini 6 for its portability and small footprint. But apart from that and as a replacement reader I cant imagine a better experience than the 12.9. The screen is phenomenal!

Reactions: oneflipgguy

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I returned the 12.9 for the 11, for me the 12.9 is too large, It was awkward to hold, to balance when lying on the sofa, and to reach around the screen.

the screen on the 11 is very nice and the difference with mini LED wasn't worth it

Reactions: sunking101

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I had a 9.7 iPad previously (my wife a mini but I knew that was too small). So when it came to getting a Pro I was leaning towards the 11, but as it was primarily a work device I thought I'd better get the 12.9 - as I'd use the MK and a larger screen is better for me to work on.

So glad I did and if I ever have the choice again it will be the larger size. Is it too big as a pure tablet (i.e. not on the MK) well my 7 year old will play for hours (when his Mum is out!!) on it and not moan about :)

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9 and 11 inch screens. The 11 seems like it would be more comfortable but I think i'm always going to wish I got the nicer screen that's on the 12.9. Do people that use 12.9 in bed find it way too big to be comfortable?
I think if you're not sure if you want the bigger iPad, you don't want the bigger iPad. Same with the Mac.
Unless you know you have a need for the bigger screen, get the smaller screen.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I would buy a 15" iPad if Apple made it available. But that's because of how I use it. I'm a teacher who uses it as a virtual whiteboard. My handwriting is not great, and it helps if I can write characters larger. Also, I have an iPad mini for carrying about with me.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I think if you're not sure if you want the bigger iPad, you don't want the bigger iPad. Same with the Mac.
Unless you know you have a need for the bigger screen, get the smaller screen.

my only counter is that sometimes you don’t know that you could use and like the bigger screen. I didn’t know I’d love the 12.9 until I actually bought it. Turns out the size isn’t an issue for me at all and I love what I can do with the increased screen real estate.

Reactions: sparksd

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I picked up the 12.9 in pro model couple days ago and it went back the next day. It's just too big and heavy and uncomfortable. Going to stick with my 11 inch iPad Pro M1.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Depends what you're doing with it. I have the 12.9 because I wanted the large screen for gamers and video, and it's great for those, and for semi-laptop-like use in the Smart Keyboard, but it is a little uncomfortable to use in a traditional iPad mode. If I was rich I'd get a smaller one for general couch-based use (might even get a mini).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.