Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I have the first-gen 12.9” iPad, and still use it every day. It’s not too heavy to use in bed but you do need strong forearms. I personally think the base 10” iPad is a very good size and weight for nearly everything now, while some people will find the 12.9” too much.

I’m convinced I don’t need an iPad Pro, and my next iPad will just be the base model.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
What do you mean by comfortable? Only devices I dare to hold in my hands or use mostly in vertical position are iPhone and Kindle. I had iPad mini before and I remember it was hard to use the same way as Kindle.

My 12.9 Pro is always sitting on table/my lap/bed and I carry it in my backpack, so I never feel the weight and really appreciate the bigger screen estate, especially when I run two windows in split-screen (90% time when I work/learn on it).

Reactions: Vivian125

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Perfect for me. Im used to pulling out my iPhone when Im the couch to look at stuff and I really appreciate the screen space. I use mine a lot when Im in the living room playing the Xbox or Switch and need to look up maps and whatnot, its great for it. Not really happy with how the Mail app works on it (where the hell is the normal inbox view?) but everything else is pretty nice. And now Logic Remote is finally useful, not so fun on an iPhone screen.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That not so easy for me as I have never used macOS, As I only ever owned & used windows computers & laptops before

In that case regard a Mac as a more traditional personal computer with an OS that has many similarities with Windows. If that’s your preference, the Mac is Apple’s offering in that space.
The iPad is aiming at a different crowd in many aspects.

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
I love my 12.9 M1. I use it a lot in bed watching YouTube and surfing the net. It helps to have the extra length on the 12.9 as I tend to rest the iPad on my stomach. I’ve had the 11 Pro and much prefer the 12.9 for the screen size for multitasking when in landscape. I purchased a magic keyboard but returned it as I find the iPad more enjoyable as a tablet. That’s my experience.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9 and 11 inch screens. The 11 seems like it would be more comfortable but I think i'm always going to wish I got the nicer screen that's on the 12.9. Do people that use 12.9 in bed find it way too big to be comfortable?
Definitely too big and heavy. 11 inch is perfect. I understand that 12.9 in screen is gorgeous but it’s an unwieldy beast especially if you have a case on it. I have BOTH, a 2021 M1 iPad Pro 11 and a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 in. You would think that 1.9 in extra real estate would NOT constitute a significant difference in weight, oh boy, you would be wrong! The 12.9 is huge in weight and substantive in size in comparison to its baby brother. Im a big guy and the 12.9 IPP is best used stationary. IPP 11 is perfect for a on the go mobile screen.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am not ashamed to say that I agonized over this upon the announcement of the 12.9" 2021 Pro. Up to that point I had a 9.7" and 10.5" iPad Pro and just assumed without a second though that I'd get the 11". I went so far as to mesuareg a stack of carsick and affixed my 10.5" Pro to it and used it like that for the week leading up to pre-orders to approximate the size and weight.

Bottom line - the 12.9" is a bit clunker and inconvenient in circumstances that the 11" is not, but I find the tradeoff for the screen to be worth it. For the times I use it in the Magic Keyboard it's much better than it's smaller sampling and for all the other times it's fine and usage. I use it as a tablet on the coach, as a passenger in a car, etc.

I'm actually considering getting an iPad mini to use as a dedicated reader for times when I'm not browsing or working because I can get one for free through my job's "appreciate store." This briefly made me pause and think if I'd have been better off consolidating on the 11", but here's the thing: while more convenient, I don't view the 11" has a "one handed device" either. I almost never used my 10.5" while holding it for long periods of time; I always propped it up against something (pillow, leg, keyboard case, etc.). Given that, why not have the maximum display for the cases where I'd lean it against something anyway and have a purely superfluous mini for the view cases where that fits better.

EDIT: I wanted to quickly edit to say what I think is the most important aspect: you will adapt to whatever. I had no issue with my 10.5" and the 12.9" felt massive for the first week. Now I buried out my 10.5" to set it up as a work-dedicated device (my firm request a management profile so it's useless for personal stuff) and couldn't believe how small it felt. I wouldn't want to go back to a screen that small, but if I did I would adapt within a week and thing the 12.9" was overly huge again. Bottom line, just get what you can afford and fits your general use case better. If undecided, buy one and if it doesn't work for you, return it.

Kone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
A 12.9 iPad Pro is too big for the bed, more for the desk/tabletop. When I had the original iPad Mini and Mini with Retina, those were perfect one-handed.

Having 10.5 iPad Pro, 12.9 iPad Pro Gen2, and now 12.9 iPad Pro M1, the 10.5 was still a little big for the bed.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Here's a poll with almost 2000 votes that is split down the middle. The 12.9 wasn't for me but it was for a lot of people!

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
These are my own personal thoughts on the 12.9 iPad Pro after 2+ years ownership:

1. I previously owned the regular iPad and greatly preferred the 12.9 IPP for media consumption and playing the occasional game. It has become my most used Apple device. However, I do find the size too small for watching movies and TV shows when I am at home.

2. Using the iPad without a case is my preferred option. I initially had a case but it didn't fit properly after I accidentally sat on my iPad. I would recommend you go without a case or the weight may get bothersome after extended use. The weight is the sole reason I'm considering getting a smaller iPad again. Sometimes I just want to use a smaller and lighter device.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I use the 12.9 as a laptop. I use the Mini 6 for handheld. The 11 is one of those tweeners than can serve both functions, docked and handheld. It's all a matter of choice and what you consider "big".

Reactions: PlayUltimate

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
I found it heavy and awkward for handheld use until I took off the smart folio cover (I imagine the same goes for the keyboard cover). That was a game changer. Take it out of whatever case or cover it’s in for handheld use, it’s a totally different experience.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I found it heavy and awkward for handheld use until I took off the smart folio cover (I imagine the same goes for the keyboard cover). That was a game changer. Take it out of whatever case or cover it’s in for handheld use, it’s a totally different experience.

I love the Magic Keyboard, as it acts like a dock. Plug in the cable into that little side port on the Magic Keyboard and...instant dock. When you want to use it, just pop it off the magnet. Plus, I have carpets all over my house, so no worries about dropping it unprotected.

Reactions: oneflipgguy

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
I just use the my M1 12.9 with a folio, had the MGK but didn't use it so sold it. iPad is a touch device for me. Prefer the 12.9 as I watch a lot of video, and the bigger screen for work photos is better.
I had a 11" 2018 pro for 2 years before the new 12.9. If I want smaller I have a 13 max.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Oh boy this is perfect to speak about. I just went from a 2020 iPad Pro 11” sold it to the new Mini and now 2021 iPad Pro 12.9”. I wanted a smaller tablet and went for the Mini. I could not deal with the jelly effect and everything being squished together. I used it for 3 weeks and no more. I also missed Face ID. Took it back and wanted to see the hype with the 12.9” M1 and mini led screen. It rocked my world and I fell in love with it. What a gorgeous screen and having blacks again is super nice. I have OLED tv’s in the house and was shocked how good this new mini led screen looked. It’s not OLED blacks but pretty close. I also bought the MK and pen for it as well. I went all in and I am just a media consumption guy. Overkill you say? Most likely BUT it’s such a joy to use. Size wise it’s a beast but totally manageable. At first I was like OMG this is a freaking mini tv! As the day go by though. I am getting use to it. It’s a little heavy but again not unmanageable. I use the net and watch videos no problem. I have no regrets. Think I done pretty good deal wise all brand new as well with AppleCare included free.

2021 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB $1,069
2021 Magic Keyboard $189.98
Apple Pencil 2 $99

Monsterbit2021

Suspended
Nov 2, 2021
It depends on how you gonna use it.
If you are heavy in Games and Reading, it is not as good as a iPad mini 6.
But if you use it to replace your laptop, 12 is great.

I have both, i haven't touched my pro for like 2 months..

Reactions: Tikatika

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Personally if you don’t mind using an iPad as a laptop, rather than an iPad the 12.9 is fine, but if you want a tablet experience the 11” or mini is your best options.

I toyed with the idea of using an iPad as laptop replacement, but with the 12.9” I find most people have it in the magic keyboard case about 90% of the time including me, in which case you may aswell get a MacBook Air, which is not only cheaper but is far more capable and lighter.

Unless you really need a touch screen, Apple Pencil support and Face ID, I would consider that over the 12.9” iPad.

As for the 11” it’s a much better form factor however with a keyboard it becomes a bit cramped, but as a tablet it’s the ideal size, there is a reason why Apple have so many iPads in this form factor in the line up, for me however, even this size isn’t something I would carry around daily, your use case may differ though.

Another alternative would be the iPad mini if you want ultimate portability, this is a fantastic size if your going to be carrying it around on the daily and don’t need a huge screen for your use case.

So to answer your questions if the 12.9” is too big… it’s a case of it depends…

If you want it as a laptop replacement and your happy to sacrifice its capability for a miniLED touch screen and Face ID with the extra weight, then no it’s not too big.

If your going to be using it primarily as a tablet, go for the 11”, but if you really need ultimate portability get an iPad mini.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It's something you have to try and decide for yourself. The 12.9 is too big for some, just fine for others - it's all a matter of personal preference. I find the 12.9 to be perfectly fine and usable on the desktop or in my hands as a tablet.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
If you've ever used the original 12.9 Pro (2015 and 2017) then you won't think the current 12.9 is too big/heavy. They dropped a significant amount of weight from the older design to the current design. Although, the new mini-led 12.9 is heavier than the 2018/2020 models it still is lighter than the old design.

Anyway, you definitely need to try it for yourself to see what is right for you. If you can try out both models that would be best to see what fits you best.

I used a 2015 12.9, then 2017 and later 2018. For 2020, I moved to the 11, but as I mentioned earlier I went back to the 12.9 for 2021. When I need something more portable, I use my 12 Pro Max.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
As others have said, only you can answer this question. Highly subjective. I just picked up mine last week and it’s an adjustment getting used to the increased size and weight. But man oh man is this screen beautiful. And I’m finding that multitasking is much better on the bigger iPad too. It’s basically like carrying around a 13” MBP screen in your hands.

Whatever you do, make sure to give yourself several days of use with one device or the other to truly get used to it. If you flip flop back and forth, you won’t really have a chance to get comfortable with the form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.