Is the delay in Ivy Bridge changing your purchase decision?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Feb 17, 2012.

?

Are you changing your plans to upgrade your MBP

  1. I'm still waiting because Ivy Bridge offers too much

    84 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. I'm not upgrading so the delay is immaterial

    40 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. I need a new MBP sooner then later so I'm taking the plunge

    17 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. I don't know what the hell I should do

    30 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #1
    Now that Intel has delayed the Ivy Bridge chip set until June which of course probably pushes back a new MBP a month or maybe more.

    Given the delay, any of you folks changing for plans for waiting for Ivy Bridge?
     
  2. iWolf00 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    #2
    I am looking to buy new MacBook Pro because my current MBPro is 4 years old and I believe the time is right to upgrade my Mac. Although my current MBPro still running with no issues at all, I am looking to have better performance for my daily activities.
     
  3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

    IngerMan

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #3
    "D" I bought a refurbished 15" QuadCore for the extra saving. IvyBridge refurbished are probably a year away.
     
  4. dreamtenstudios macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #4
    Do you think the Ivy Bridge delay will apply to MBPs? I sure hope not, been waiting for this new thin form factor for ages!
     
  5. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #5
    Not sure to be honest.

    And no, my Mac Mini meets my needs for the time being. I guess I'll have to make do with VNCing from my Windows laptop to my Mac for now, even though it's not the same.

    So by the time Ivy Bridge is released, Haswell be right around the corner, unless they delay that. I dunno. :(
     
  6. XX55XX macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    #6
    Ivy bridge will offer a leap in battery life.

    Of course, I'm waiting... though for a new Thinkpad, admittedly.
     
  7. Eddyish macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2012
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #7
    Where's the "I don't know what the hell should I do" option?
     
  8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Maybe that's why I posted this poll ;)

    Edit: added your recommendation :)
     
  9. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

    AttilaTheHun

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #9
    I have the MBP 17" mid 2010
    I like it, but I think to buy a new one b4 apple will change it too much,
    I like to have the DVD
    17" it's amust will never go smaller
     
  10. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #10
    I am decided to purchase as soon as they're released, no matter whether it's in may or in september. My current MBA still gets the job done flawlessly, so I'm not ultra-bugged about waiting a few more months.
     
  11. tarponbeach macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    #11
    I will wait at least a year after they introduce the ivy bridge series. I was a Beta Tester once, when I bought an Apple III...never again.
     
  12. Rich2Putt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Location:
    MA
    #12
    I own an iPhone & iPad, not MacBook Pro yet. Been a pc user 20+ yrs and current pc is 8yrs old.

    I've been lurking and reading about MacBook Pro's for the last two months and decided to go Mac on my next upgrade which will be sometime this yr. Until that time, I'll continue to visit my near-by Apple store and get educated as much as I can before I pull the trigger. :D
     
  13. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

    Cliff3

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #13
    I refresh my laptop roughly every 3 years, and my current MBP does not celebrate its 3rd birthday until November. So my schedule is still on track.

    edit: I put I am not upgrading in response to your poll as that is the closest to being a correct response, but it's not really accurate as I am upgrading, just not specifically in response to the release of a new model.
     
  14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #14
    I recently bought a MBP so I may either sell mine when the new ones arrive or not. No clue.
     
  15. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

    Ice Dragon

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #15
    I bought my first Mac (a mini) in October 2011 though I still anticipate what Ivy Bridge will bring. I always love new technology though instead of waiting two months, I will have to wait four. Oh well.
     
  16. niuniu macrumors 68020

    niuniu

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    #16
    I've waited years for the redesign so it's no problem for me to wait a bit longer.

    For me it's really about heat. I'm hoping these chips can bring the heat down a bit. Performance wise - I think there's enough power in the Apple laptops already for the vast majority of people, including myself (though I do wish the GPUs were better)
     
  17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #17
    The delay may be for apple to have a launch window?

    I didn't read anything that ruled that it.
     
  18. professorjay macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2007
    #18
    I wanted to use my current laptop for at least 5 yrs, and that time comes up this summer.

    I could use a new machine, but I could also use the one I have now for a bit longer, it's not a deal breaker either way. Just playing it by ear and I'll see if the newest iteration is tempting enough for me to finally move on.
     
  19. moxxey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #19
    Are you sure? I have my doubts. If you look at some of the comments on here, the introduction of the new (faster) chipsets and integrated GPU may, potentially, negate some of that extra battery life. ie. you might only get about 10% extra battery. It's certainly not going to be hours longer.

    Take the 11" Air. You can get about 4 hours from the battery. That may go up to 4.5 hours. Perhaps. But it's not going to be a game-changer. I think Intel's marketing team - as they always seem to do with a chipset revision - has stoked the fire that this is going to be a chipset worth waiting for. But we had exactly these conversations about Sandy Bridge!
     
  20. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #20
    For me the delay might actually be a good thing. I am going to buy a Macbook Pro right after the next update, if that is in June that may be better because I will get the back to school promotion, which will not be available if it is released in April.
     
  21. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

    natejohnstone@g

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2007
    #21
    The CPU bump from Ivy isn't that big, but the GPU bump will be very noticeable. And then of course there is battery life.

    So assuming Apple doesn't go bat-$h^t insane and drop the Pro line's functionality and power for the sake of a small form factor (as some are suggesting), I'll be buying the new 2012 17" MBP and putting in my own RAM and SSD upgrades (unless Apple's prices come down to earth, which seems unlikely).

    What I would NOT buy is a 17" MBA (and honestly, I can't see the demand for such a product being very high at all).
     
  22. malman89 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #22
    Probably the same here. Waiting for Ivy Bridge/maybe even Windows 8 before buying a new computer.

    That's not to say I've written Apple off. I've had a wonderful 5 years with my white MacBook. If the Pro release does something more to wow me in terms of bang for my buck than the current lineup, Apple can certainly keep my business. If I had to say right now, I'm definitely leaning going back to the Windows world.
     
  23. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    #23
    Depends entirely on how long the delay actually is. I'm looking to buy sometime between April and June. I like some of the rumors about the display, and USB3 would be nice to have on what will be my primary machine for the next four years, but the late 2011 models are still quite good.

    Of course, if something happens to my current early 2008 MBP (for instance, the video card dying, which it very well might), that makes the decision very easy.
     
  24. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #24
    I'm still going to wait and see what the update brings before making a decision. I did this last year, and ended up not buying a new MBP, so I'm sure another few months won't mean much. As long as my MacBook lasts, at least.

    I'm crossing my fingers that Apple somehow worked a deal with Intel to get the chips sooner somehow. Wishful thinking, probably.
     
  25. SisterRay macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 25, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #25
    I'm waiting. I have an original CoreDuo White MacBook, which is slowly falling to pieces.

    I'm hoping Apple has first dibs on the IvyBridge processors and the refresh will happen March/April time
     

Share This Page