Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I am curious what id the difference in profit margins between selling an unlocked phone vs subsidized phones? Even if carriers pay Samsung to sell their phones, Samsung doesn't have much control with what carriers want on it the way Apple has total control. Samsung bring their best stuff to the States and it is all for naught when Apple still sell iPhones in record numbers and where Samsung has to watch carriers ravage their phones with ugly branding and bloatware.

I believe Samsung should raise the white flag in the United States. Not give on it completely but should use their marketing budget in other countries. They will NEVER win there when it comes to volume sales and profits. Americans are already completely brainwashed with Apple and their ecosystem. Samsung is part of other industries anyway while iPhones has been Apple's bread and butter.

For many years, Nokia (the former #1 volume seller) ignored the U.S. market except sending their cheapie phones. And Nokia was #1 in 1998 surpassing Motorola (globally) and were still on top until 2011 when Microsoft got involved with them. Samsung can still win the premium segment in other continents especially in Asia where the growing middle-class can easily afford $700+ unlocked devices since many people unlike Americans don't need to pay rent or rely on a car. Americans are too dependent with getting subsidized phones because of the many more bills they have to pay for their independence and dependence on credit cards paying in smaller installments.

Samsung should go the Nokia route. Focus on other continents and developing countries where smartphones aren't oversaturated yet. They also need to bring out more compelling lower-end phones and good prices to battle the Chinese and Taiwanese of ASUS and Acer. The lower end is for volume sales, the premium for countries like South Korea, Japan, and Europe is for higher profits.

It is like the The Force Awakens v Avatar box office receipts. Americans focus on domestic numbers and while TFA became NA box office king, Avatar made $2B foreign money which is why it is still #1 while TFA is only #3 globally. I hate Avatar, btw. I love Star Wars. But you can't just focus on solely American money. Star Wars 7 won the battle in the States but lost the World War box office to Avatar. Star Wars is like the Super Bowl / NFL football. An American thing.

Samsung should start focusing more at raking in foreign money since surpassing Apple in the States (where someone like Donald Trump "could" be President) is highly unlikely. Motorola was #1 for years in the States even during the 2000's while Nokia was #1 globally and they rarely were a Top 5 OEM volume seller in the United States.

I gotta disagree on this. Any business should want to expand and grow in profitability. Being number two in the us, a market where people are willing to buy higher priced flagships, isn't being a slouch. Lol at the us being brainwashed by Apple. If anything Samsung needs to focus on actual real support for its products, not a fake kiosk in a Best Buy. It's the support/service that retains apples customer base. It's actual customer service and long term support that is an underlying reason for apples success. I don't think Apple is brainwashing anyone in South Korea yet they're gaining market share there where Samsung is basically a part of government.

While foreign countries may have the middle class willing to spend premium dollars on phones, samsungs challenge is to differentiate itself as being worth it over its own, cheaper competition moreso than Apple. Because whether people like it or not, Apple offers a unique experience, one others can't really duplicate due to Apple owning iOS.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Huawei's goal at being #2 by 2019 and #1 by 2021 toppling both Apple and Samsung within five year might sound way too ambitious at first since they have not much brand familiarity, but remember Nokia and how fast they fell? They were #1 after 2007 and it only took about 3-4 years to go from 38% to nearly non-existent. Nobody stays on top forever and ever. LA Lakers, anyone?

The fall of Nokia is always a lesson to never get complacent with market share. IBM, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Motorola, and BlackBerry all made business mistakes. Three years ago, reviewers were praising the HTC One M7. M8 was extremely anticipated after. With the rumors of the HTC 10, it seems like HTC has already lost their luster. Sony too after the Z3 series. Taste and opinions can change in an instant.
_

Nokia's heyday...

http://www.informationweek.com/nokia-grows-faster-than-other-mobile-phone-makers/d/d-id/1063903?

1/29/2008
03:35 PM

Nokia was the fastest growing company out of the top five mobile phone makers and captured a large chunk of the global market in the fourth quarter of last year, while Samsung and Motorola continued to struggle, according to a report released on Tuesday by research firm iSuppli.

Nokia is the "monster of the mobile-handset business," as iSuppli puts it, having grown 26.5% annually and capturing 38% of the total worldwide mobile phone market share last year. Nokia's market share in the fourth quarter was 39.5%.

The No. 1 phone maker shipped 133.5 million mobile phones in the fourth quarter, up 19.5% from 111.7 million in the third quarter, according to iSuppli. It shipped 437.1 million phones in total last year.

Nokia remains a small player in North America, which is the company's challenge going forward. Nokia's market share dropped to 5.1% in North America in the fourth quarter, compared with 5.9% in the same period in 2006, according to the company's filings.

But it has plans to expand its presence in North America with the introduction of 12 new phones specifically for the U.S. market this year. Nokia already announced that it will begin selling the 8 GB version of its N95 multimedia phone in the U.S.

As a comparison, Samsung's market share in 2007 was 14%, followed by Motorola with 13.8%, Sony Ericsson with 9%, and LG Electronics with 8%. Both Samsung and Motorola lost some market share in the fourth quarter. Samsung's share dropped to 13.7% and Motorola's to 12.1%.

ChartOfTheDay_1423_Smartphone_market_share_Microsoft_Nokia_n.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Those iPhone 7 leaks from foxconn are fake. Turns out it's an android device. Bgr has the story.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Huawei's goal at being #2 by 2019 and #1 by 2021 toppling both Apple and Samsung within five year might sound way too ambitious at first since they have not much brand familiarity, but remember Nokia and how fast they fell? They were #1 after 2007 and it only took about 3-4 years to go from 38% to nearly non-existent. Nobody stays on top forever and ever. LA Lakers, anyone?

The fall of Nokia is always a lesson to never get complacent with market share. IBM, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Motorola, and BlackBerry all made business mistakes. Three years ago, reviewers were praising the HTC One M7. M8 was extremely anticipated after. With the rumors of the HTC 10, it seems like HTC has already lost their luster. Sony too after the Z3 series. Taste and opinions can change in an instant.
_

Nokia's heyday...

http://www.informationweek.com/nokia-grows-faster-than-other-mobile-phone-makers/d/d-id/1063903?

1/29/2008
03:35 PM

Nokia was the fastest growing company out of the top five mobile phone makers and captured a large chunk of the global market in the fourth quarter of last year, while Samsung and Motorola continued to struggle, according to a report released on Tuesday by research firm iSuppli.

Nokia is the "monster of the mobile-handset business," as iSuppli puts it, having grown 26.5% annually and capturing 38% of the total worldwide mobile phone market share last year. Nokia's market share in the fourth quarter was 39.5%.

The No. 1 phone maker shipped 133.5 million mobile phones in the fourth quarter, up 19.5% from 111.7 million in the third quarter, according to iSuppli. It shipped 437.1 million phones in total last year.

Nokia remains a small player in North America, which is the company's challenge going forward. Nokia's market share dropped to 5.1% in North America in the fourth quarter, compared with 5.9% in the same period in 2006, according to the company's filings.

But it has plans to expand its presence in North America with the introduction of 12 new phones specifically for the U.S. market this year. Nokia already announced that it will begin selling the 8 GB version of its N95 multimedia phone in the U.S.

As a comparison, Samsung's market share in 2007 was 14%, followed by Motorola with 13.8%, Sony Ericsson with 9%, and LG Electronics with 8%. Both Samsung and Motorola lost some market share in the fourth quarter. Samsung's share dropped to 13.7% and Motorola's to 12.1%.

ChartOfTheDay_1423_Smartphone_market_share_Microsoft_Nokia_n.jpg
Your point about market share doesn't pay the bills is well taken.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I haven't read the article, but some great photos comparing 6S Plus and the S7 Edge: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus_id4168

Again, the iPhone just looks gigantic next to the Edge. And it's no secret how I feel about the iPhone 6/6S generation's design. It can sometimes be downright ugly.

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-01.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-14.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-15.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-12.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-02.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-11.jpg

The S7 Edge is smaller and better looking yet comes with the same size screen, water/dust-proofing, much larger battery, better ergonomics, better screen, better camera, wireless and quick charging capabilities, NFC payments that work in more places, capacitive buttons that make good use of the lower bezel space, and better color options.

On the software side, people will be divided, but those that are on the fence and haven't tried Android in awhile, it's time to let go of any doubts and at least give it a shot. There's no better time to. The latest TouchWiz plus Android Marshmallow is the perfect marriage of TouchWiz's useful features, and stock Android's stability and speed. Then you factor in launchers and themes, and the freedom to customize your default apps; that's when you start to get something special: a software experience that is both reliable and unique to your tastes. Remember, customization isn't just aesthetics; there is a great deal of functionality that you can get out of customizing so that your phone caters to your needs and operates the way you want. This makes the daily use of the phone better and easier. The freedom to customize goes a long way. A lot longer than people think.

Android has never looked or felt better. The bar is set, and it's up to Apple (and the rest of the Android competitors) to step up to the plate in 2016.

[doublepost=1458227929][/doublepost]I have to also say, owning the S7 Edge versus looking at pics and videos of it online are two different things. You have to experiencing the immersiveness of the screen to really appreciate it. You have to use the device in hand from day to day to really appreciate the ergonomics and design.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I haven't read the article, but some great photos comparing 6S Plus and the S7 Edge: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus_id4168

Again, the iPhone just looks gigantic next to the Edge. And it's no secret how I feel about the iPhone 6/6S generation's design. It can sometimes be downright ugly.

The S7 Edge is smaller and better looking yet comes with the same size screen, water/dust-proofing, much larger battery, better ergonomics, better screen, better camera, wireless and quick charging capabilities, NFC payments that work in more places, capacitive buttons that make good use of the lower bezel space, and better color options.

On the software side, people will be divided, but those that are on the fence and haven't tried Android in awhile, it's time to let go of any doubts and at least give it a shot. There's no better time to. The latest TouchWiz plus Android Marshmallow is the perfect marriage of TouchWiz's useful features, and stock Android's stability and speed.

Android has never looked or felt better. The bar is set, and it's up to Apple (and the rest of the Android competitors) to step up to the plate in 2016.
[doublepost=1458227929][/doublepost]I have to also say, owning the S7 Edge versus looking at pics and videos of it online are two different things. You have to experiencing the immersiveness of the screen to really appreciate it. You have to use the device in hand from day to day to really appreciate the ergonomics and design.
Well even the most ardent Samsung fans are saying that the 6S plus has better battery life than the s7 edge. Looks are a subjective thing but I'll give you the rest.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well even the most ardent Samsung fans are saying that the 6S plus has better battery life than the s7 edge. Looks are a subjective thing but I'll give you the rest.

Yep, I've been reading that. Apple has a remarkable thing going with controlling both software and hardware. No one can optimize as well as they do. You have to consider, too, though that the iPhone is doing less (pushing less pixels, multitasking, etc.)

Here's where Apple still remains strong:

1) Customer Service and support -- no one can touch them here. While Genius appointments and whatnot are actually a terrible and painful experience most of the time (this includes Macs, too. Ugh. I've yet to have a decent Mac Genius appointment), the fact that they have brick stores is a huge advantage. This spills over to little things too like being able to eventually buy unlocked phones. Something Samsung for some odd reason refuses to do.

2) Software support -- There's no denying they support their devices the quickest and longest. To a lot of people, this is very important, and for good reason.

3) Exclusive apps -- This is more for the gamers out there, but it's nice that the App Store gets more of the biggest games first. Sometimes they're outright only available on iOS.

They do a few other things well and better, too, but those, to me, are the three main things. And yet none of them are enough for me to go back to Apple as my daily driver. My iPad (and to a lesser extent, my iPhone 5S for work) is more than enough for me to experience what I want to get out of iOS. Sadly, it's not much. Battery life on the iPad is terrific, though.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

On the software side, people will be divided, but those that are on the fence and haven't tried Android in awhile, it's time to let go of any doubts and at least give it a shot. There's no better time to. The latest TouchWiz plus Android Marshmallow is the perfect marriage of TouchWiz's useful features, and stock Android's stability and speed. Then you factor in launchers and themes, and the freedom to customize your default apps; that's when you start to get something special: a software experience that is both reliable and unique to your tastes. Remember, customization isn't just aesthetics; there is a great deal of functionality that you can get out of customizing so that your phone caters to your needs and operates the way you want. This makes the daily use of the phone better and easier. The freedom to customize goes a long way. A lot longer than people think.

The Galaxy S7 edge is certainly a very well designed device--it's definitely a more 'efficient' design that the iPhone and I find it an attractive device but beauty is truly subjective. I've now seen/handled it in person and yes, the curved back and other subtle changes have improved the ergonomics tremendously (still find the thin edge not ideal but it's much better than its predecessor), and Samsung has packed a lot of display into a small package. I still don't like the curved edges on the display--the distortion of the display there is bothersome to me. I also personally hate the high gloss metal finishes, especially in the bezel--find it distracting (same goes for the white bezeled iPhone), though the black model is quite good. The front design of the black iPhone is still much nicer, IMO. I love that clean, monolithic look, something that may not be someone else's preference. Yes, the rear panel of the iPhone with the horizontal lines isn't pretty but guess how much time I spend looking at the back of my phone. ;) Not saying it can't/shouldn't be improved but my issues with any phone designs rarely pertain to rear panel aesthetics since I'm not using that size of the phone. It's why I really don't care about the size/position of logos, etc on the back.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Galaxy S7 edge is certainly a very well designed device--it's definitely a more 'efficient' design that the iPhone and I find it an attractive device but beauty is truly subjective. I've now seen/handled it in person and yes, the curved back and other subtle changes have improved the ergonomics tremendously (still find the thin edge not ideal but it's much better than its predecessor), and Samsung has packed a lot of display into a small package. I still don't like the curved edges on the display--the distortion of the display there is bothersome to me. I also personally hate the high gloss metal finishes, especially in the bezel--find it distracting (same goes for the white bezeled iPhone), though the black model is quite good. The front design of the black iPhone is still much nicer, IMO. I love that clean, monolithic look, something that may not be someone else's preference. Yes, the rear panel of the iPhone with the horizontal lines isn't pretty but guess how much time I spend looking at the back of my phone. ;) Not saying it can't/shouldn't be improved but my issues with any phone designs rarely pertain to rear panel aesthetics since I'm not using that size of the phone. It's why I really don't care about the size/position of logos, etc on the back.

Yeah, I could do away with the Samsung logo upfront. It doesn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't miss it either, especially on the black model. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Samsung logo is upfront mainly to avoid any more legal issues with Apple or anyone else who might sue them again for risk of mistaking it for another phone. With the logo, this clearly is a Samsung.

Regarding the reflective finish, I thought I'd be bothered by it, too, but in real use, it's not that reflective nor noticeable. Or maybe I'm just used to it. Once you immerse yourself in the screen, you really don't notice the bezels anymore.

As for the Edge distortion, it took some time to get used to, but now I can't look at any other display. The S6 now looks strangely too flat, if that makes any sense. The best way to describe it is that the edge panels just pop. It gives off this 3D like effect. And it's glorious. Again, it's hard to appreciate it until you own the device and use it from day to day. Menus slide out easier. It's easier to scroll through the alphabet-list on the right panel when searching songs or contacts. The edge features are almost always accessible and are easy to pull out and execute. Reading and watching videos on it is fun because, again, it gives off a 3D effect. Like the content is above the device. Don't know how else to describe it.

Simply put, using the S7 Edge feels like something from the not-too-distant future. There's a sense of wonder and awe every time you pick it up because it's so new and different, and put together so well. There once was a time when picking up the iPhone elicited the same feeling.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, I could do away with the Samsung logo upfront. It doesn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't miss it either, especially on the black model. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Samsung logo is upfront mainly to avoid any more legal issues with Apple or anyone else who might sue them again for risk of mistaking it for another phone. With the logo, this clearly is a Samsung.

Regarding the reflective finish, I thought I'd be bothered by it, too, but in real use, it's not that reflective nor noticeable. Or maybe I'm just used to it. Once you immerse yourself in the screen, you really don't notice the bezels anymore.

As for the Edge distortion, it took some time to get used to, but now I can't look at any other display. The S6 now looks strangely too flat, if that makes any sense. The best way to describe it is that the edge panels just pop. It gives off this 3D like effect. And it's glorious. Again, it's hard to appreciate it until you own the device and use it from day to day.

Simply put, using the S7 Edge feels like something from the not-too-distant future. There's a sense of wonder and awe every time you pick it up because it's so new and different, and is all put together so well. There once was a time when picking up the iPhone elicited the same feeling.

Fair points, of course too each their own. I just personally don't like the elements I mentioned, and the name on the device is irrelevant, would say the same if Apple applied them to the iPhone (before I'm accused of anti-Samsung bias). It truly is a good looking device, Samsung's best by a mile and at the top of the industry.

I'm personally hoping the front page rumor that Apple plans to implement a similar curved display at some point doesn't happen soon, but I could certainly due for some bezel shrinkage in future models.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Fair points, of course too each their own. I just personally don't like the elements I mentioned, and the name on the device is irrelevant, would say the same if Apple applied them to the iPhone. I'm personally hoping the front page rumor that Apple plans to implement a similar curved display at some point doesn't happen soon, but I could certainly due for some bezel shrinkage in future models.

You don't fear Apple will fall behind in screen tech? Not only for curved displays, but a future in VR, or even simply just upping the DPI. Things look remarkably sharp and crisp on the Edge. And yes, as you mentioned, helping with bezel sizes to make good use of the real-estate, which can lead to better ergonomics and one-handed use, something Apple prides themselves in tremendously. Yes, they'll offer the iPhone SE, but if they can bring about better design and ergonomics to the Plus/Pro line, that can only help.

The S7 Edge is the first time I'm sticking with a phablet because it's the first time it's anywhere near manageable to use one handed.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here is a quick side by side.
IPhone 6s+ and Galaxy S7. Both have the same display size but the physical differences and dpi are striking

2c24f99ef858339d83b0426559c4c84e.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You don't fear Apple will fall behind in screen tech? Not only for curved displays, but a future in VR, or even simply just upping the DPI. Things look remarkably sharp and crisp on the Edge. And yes, as you mentioned, helping with bezel sizes to make good use of the real-estate, which can lead to better ergonomics and one-handed use, something Apple prides themselves in tremendously. Yes, they'll offer the iPhone SE, but if they can bring about better design and ergonomics to the Plus/Pro line, that can only help.

The S7 Edge is the first time I'm sticking with a phablet because it's the first time it's anywhere near manageable to use one handed.

Well, to be clear, I didn't say I wanted Apple to stand pat on their displays, simply that I don't find the rounded, curved edges useful, at least at this point. Of course I'd like to see improved display performance and efficiency, color accuracy, pixel density (without adversely taxing battery), etc. I personally find the curved edges still a novelty and have more detractions than benefits. I'm also still reading/hearing lots of issues with inadvertent touches (think this depends on any number of things--hand size, how one personally holds a phone, etc). The biggest benefits right now appear to be ability to have a slightly thinner phone and implementation of edge apps/functions (usefulness here is debatable). The distortion and potential ergonomic issues outweigh these benefits for me right now. Not saying that won't change and if the industry makes a headlong running shift in this direction, I'll just have to adjust.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Here is a quick side by side.
IPhone 6s+ and Galaxy S7. Both have the same display size but the physical differences and dpi are striking

2c24f99ef858339d83b0426559c4c84e.jpg

And so is the glare on the edges--something present in almost every photo like this. And the millimeter or two on each edge that wraps down the side and isn't as easily viewing from straight on means the viewable display is actually less.

Listen, I'm not arguing that the S7 Edge and its hardware aren't remarkably well designed/engineered devices--you'd have to be ignorant or blind to not be able to see that. I just personally don't like certain elements, specifically the display edges. That's all.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The S7 Edge looks downright small.
Traveling with it on vacation was a dream! The S7 actually fits in a cup holder. So convenient when using navigation.
Holding it in my left hand I can almost use it strictly one handed using my thumb. The curve display adds to the overall beauty of the phone.

Here is a better picture from my N5.

e8c7cda0f0230e2cf507667d729ffb3b.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well, to be clear, I didn't say I wanted Apple to stand pat on their displays, simply that I don't find the rounded, curved edges useful, at least at this point. Of course I'd like to see improved display performance and efficiency, color accuracy, pixel density (without adversely taxing battery), etc. I personally find the curved edges still a novelty and have more detractions than benefits. I'm also still reading/hearing lots of issues with inadvertent touches (think this depends on any number of things--hand size, how one personally holds a phone, etc). The biggest benefits right now appear to be ability to have a slightly thinner phone and implementation of edge apps/functions (usefulness here is debatable). The distortion and potential ergonomic issues outweigh these benefits for me right now. Not saying that won't change and if the industry makes a headlong running shift in this direction, I'll just have to adjust.

I hear ya. Here's what I think:

If you were to pick up an S7 Edge and use it daily, you'd discover your concerns aren't as bad as you think. I had all the same concerns. As you say, it depends on a few things like hand size and whatnot, but if it counts for anything, I can tell you I've always been a medium-size phone type of user.

Again, these are just my experiences, and I impart them to you and others here not so much to convince you, but because I believe you'll ultimately experience something similar. Here goes:

-Regarding usefulness of the Edge features -- Yeah, this is okay. It turns out I'm using it because it's there, and it provides a small degree of accessing things faster. I find the quick contacts very useful. Launching apps and shortcuts are sort of useful, but like I said, it's only a small margin of convenience you gain. Still, the Edge features are at least consistently available, easy to access, and reliable enough to execute commands from there. In my opinion, the software features of the Edge are actually on the low end of the list of reasons to have an Edge display like this.

-Regarding inadvertent touches -- yes, they can happen. I will say that I'm extremely impressed (and glad) that I've had zero (literally zero) accidental palm touches. None. Where you might get inadvertent touches is if you're watching videos in full screen mode and holding your device in landscape. That's when you might get some touches because your fingers have to wrap around and hold onto something of the device! But, after getting used to it and learning how to hold a device like this, it becomes a non-issue. Like with many new or unfamiliar forms of technology, it takes some learning to get used to it. So yes, there is a slight learning curve to "handling" a display like this, but it's far from impossible to figure out, and the frustration-level is surprisingly low.

-Distortion -- Yeah, they're there. But again, minor distractions. And once you get used to it, you kind of can't look at any other flat screen. Once you get used to it, you see pass it and learn to enjoy the content. And the content will look great.

Again, these are just my experiences. Is it a novelty? Yeah, I guess you can still call it that. It's a novelty that provides a novel experience. There is a lot more to gain from it than one might think. Using it day to day is different than seeing a demo or hearing people talk about it. Scrolling through alphabet-lists on the right column for contacts or music, sliding out side-panel menus in apps, the immersion you get reading/watching content, and more. They all add up to a good experience ultimately.

Novel technology will always have its growing pains, but it's exciting, fun, and surprisingly useful.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And so is the glare on the edges--something present in almost every photo like this. And the millimeter or two on each edge that wraps down the side and isn't as easily viewing from straight on means the viewable display is actually less.

Listen, I'm not arguing that the S7 Edge and its hardware aren't remarkably well designed/engineered devices--you'd have to be ignorant or blind to not be able to see that. I just personally don't like certain elements, specifically the display edges. That's all.
tbh you don't ever see the glare except in pictures like this. The beauty of the curved display more than makes up for any glare.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
tbh you don't ever see the glare except in pictures like this. The beauty of the curved display more than makes up for any glare.

So it only magically appears through the lens of a camera? ;)

Sorry but if the glare is there on the photos, it's there in really life. Look at all of Epi's photos of the front display, or your last photo posted. You may not notice it but I do--was there when I used one yesterday, just like the other elements I mentioned, and thus why I'm not a fan of the curved display. Glad it's working so well for you but it's not for me. Give me a choice of the display on your S7 edge or your Note 5 and I'll take the Note.

Why do so many here seem to take offense to another disagreeing with their personal position, or on a mission to convince someone that there personal opinion isn't valid? I know you and Epi both are very happy with your experiences but an awful lot of effort to convince me that I must be mistaken in my choices. :confused:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah, I have to agree.

I had plenty of reservations getting the Edge, as most of you who read the Galaxy S7 thread know. They have almost all of them been either addressed favorably, or a lot less of an issue than I feared.

Everything from distortion to the curve display not showing the full content cause of the waterfall effect... none of these have any majorily negative impact on the actual day to day use of the phone. This is why I say using it daily and seeing pics/videos, even handling in a store, is no match to owning it. There's no other way to really appreciate what Samsung has achieved here in design and functionality and immersion with the screen.
[doublepost=1458233094][/doublepost]

Sorry but if the glare is there on the photos, it's there in really life. Look at all of Epi's photos of the front display. You may not notice it but I do--was there when I used one yesterday, just like the other elements I mentioned, and thus why I'm not a fan of the curved display. Glad it's working so well for you.

Why do so many here seem to take offense to another disagreeing with their personal position, or on a mission to convince someone that there personal opinion isn't valid? I know you and Epi both are very happy with your experiences but an awful lot of effort to convince me that I must be mistaken in my choices. :confused:

I think Jamerz is mistaken to say it's "not there."

My point is more that it's not a big deal. Hardly noticeable once you get passed the novelty and dive into your content. Ditto the waterfall effect.

And just to be clear again about my posts to you. Not trying to convince you. Just pointing out that I had the same reservations and fears (check the Galaxy S7 thread before I got the device. Asked a gazillion questions pertaining to exactly the things you bring up), and it turned out those concerns were either squashed or ended up not being anywhere near deal-breaking. That's all.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Sorry but if the glare is there on the photos, it's there in really life. Look at all of Epi's photos of the front display. You may not notice it but I do--was there when I used one yesterday, just like the other elements I mentioned, and thus why I'm not a fan of the curved display. Glad it's working so well for you.

Lol c'mon Tbay...the people who own it say you don't see it and the glare is not noticeable. Look at how washed out the 6s+ looks compared to the S7. Look at the dpi scaling and how much bigger every scales on the 6s+ compared to the same size display on the S7. This is a great phone design wise. A lot attention went into the details.

We don't take offense so much as some seem to take offense the Samsung's success. They seem to take it personally as a ding against the iphone somehow. They are both great phones.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Lol c'mon Tbay...the people who own it say you don't see it and the glare is not noticeable. Look at how washed out the 6s+ looks compared to the S7. Look at the dpi scaling and how much bigger every scales on the 6s+ compared to the same size display on the S7. This is a great phone design wise. A lot attention went into the details.

We don't take offense so much as some seem to take offense the Samsung's success. They seem to take it personally as a ding against the iphone somehow. They are both great phones.

Have I done that anywhere in this or the S7 thread? Quite the contrary--I've acknowledged repeatedly what a terrific piece of hardware the new Galaxies are. But in the fashion that someone may dislike the bezels on the iPhone, I don't like the edge display on the S7 Edge. The name on the phone is irrelevant for my opinion.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Have I done that anywhere in this or the S7 thread? Quite the contrary--I've acknowledged repeatedly what a terrific piece of hardware the new Galaxies are. But in the fashion that someone may dislike the bezels on the iPhone, I don't like the edge display on the S7 Edge. The name on the phone is irrelevant for my opinion.
Nowhere did i say or insinuate your choices are not valid. We were just extolling the virtues of the S7. The curved display is awesome and enhances the display. It is not for everyone that is for sure. :)

Reactions: tbayrgs

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

I dont know why but that glossy body and the bezels really make the iPhone design downright bloated and humongous.And in addition its got base storage of 32GB+MicroSD and that gorgeous screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.