Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I refuse to believe there hasn't been at least several things you wanted to do on iOS that you was restricted of doing. Whether it was how you wanted to do it, or what you wanted to do.

Friends and coworkers are often more candid in conversation than we are here in a forum. And very often, iPhone users I know will ask me (because even though I'm not that techy, I am the techiest geek of my friends & coworkers) how to do this or that with their phone. They are often fairly simple requests. And when the answer is inevitable "you can't," they often ask why not. And the answer is usually the same: Apple doesn't want you to use it that way.

Do they all suddenly run to Android? No, of course not, but your comment rings very true in both my own use of the iPhone and in my observations of many other people's iPhone experiences. Can people be perfectly happy with iOS? Of course. But I, too, find it hard to believe that even the most ardent iPhone fans here haven't experienced some level of frustration when running into iOS' limitations.

It's still striking to me how the self-proclaimed world's most advanced mobile operating system still cannot do some of the simplest tasks. All the while, you have competitive platforms reaching desktop-like capabilities. After learning how to use Android, there is virtually no going back unless you are able to adjust to the limitations again. Even basic smartphone tasks can usually be done easier, quicker, and more intuitively on Android. Something as simple as navigating back is a vastly better experience on Android than it is on iOS where it is frightfully inconsistent.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Kies is not an android product either and you really should only use it for emergencies. You can easily avoid using a cable on Android. I would argue that android devices are more 'stand alone' than ios devices.

Agree. So many things are just so much easier to accomplish on Android.

Semi-related, I still can't believe you can only download large apps on iOS on WiFi. There is no other choice.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
The fact that you brought up Kies says it all. The majority of users never bothered with that crap software unless we wanted to do an emergency firmwate recovery. The choice not to use Kies for backups of settings and etc exists for us. Now try backing up your iOS settings and etc without iCloud or iTunes. Yes, iOS default backups are better than Android or Samsung default backups. But we have the choice to use other backups services that are even more convenient and robust than iOS backups, even without root.

As far as tinkering goes. I barely tinker(root, load roms, and etc) anymore. 95% of what I do to customize to my liking is already an option out the box.

I refuse to believe there hasn't been at least several things you wanted to do on iOS that you was restricted of doing. Whether it was how you wanted to do it, or what you wanted to do. For myself, I still have issue with apps on iOS still not allowing me to use my celluar data, while the same apps on Android allow me that option.

What does it say? It's the software that Samsung defined to manage media. I did not create it. I did not espouse it. It was their defined solution.

I have no desired to attempt to back up anything without iTunes or iCloud. It's *because* those options existed with my early use of iOS that I chose it as the optimal manner for me to manage my media. I *chose* to use it. Having chosen, there is no need for me to not use it.

I don't have to search for a backup method. I don't *want* to look for another back up method. I could if I wanted back up my photos to Any one of other options. I don't *want* to use them because iOS works best for me. If something works best for me why would I want to use something that does not work well for me. That's nonsensical.

What could I possibly want to do that I haven't been able to do, since you feel that you know better than me about my life choices?

I have used all four major US platforms. I find it humorous that it is somehow questionable that I have chosen what I prefer. Had I not enjoyed iOS, I would have remained with BlackBerry or Android or WP.

If you want to use your cellular data then go ahead. I don't want to. I don't stream because I store my music and films locally.

Here is what bother me....I don't care how you choose to use your device. But I'll not allow you to claim a dissatisfaction that I don't feel with my choice of my preferred platform. Having used Android I have chosen against it for *my specific use case." Yours may vary. OK. I don't care nor do I pass judgement on your choice nor do I know claim to know better than you about what you may want or not want. It's your choice.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic

Semi-related, I still can't believe you can only download large apps on iOS on WiFi. There is no other choice.

Your perspective.

As far as downloading large apps, I prefer to do it on WiFi. I don't want to use my data for that. I'm happy that you have your choice to use cellular to do that. Celebrate.

Reactions: nj1266

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Unless you have an unlimited data plan like I do, those on a limited plan want to conserve their data. Downloading on wifi is not an issue, my cable provider has blanketed the NY metro area with wifi hotspots, you can't spit without hitting one or a Starbucks or dunking donuts. Wifi limitation is not an issue.

While for ardent android users it might be choice this or choice that, the other side is some protection against inane errors that eat up your data plan.

Last edited:

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Friends and coworkers are often more candid in conversation than we are here in a forum. And very often, iPhone users I know will ask me (because even though I'm not that techy, I am the techiest geek of my friends & coworkers) how to do this or that with their phone. They are often fairly simple requests. And when the answer is inevitable "you can't," they often ask why not. And the answer is usually the same: Apple doesn't want you to use it that way.

Do they all suddenly run to Android? No, of course not, but your comment rings very true in both my own use of the iPhone and in my observations of many other people's iPhone experiences. Can people be perfectly happy with iOS? Of course. But I, too, find it hard to believe that even the most ardent iPhone fans here haven't experienced some level of frustration when running into iOS' limitations.

It's still striking to me how the self-proclaimed world's most advanced mobile operating system still cannot do some of the simplest tasks. All the while, you have competitive platforms reaching desktop-like capabilities. After learning how to use Android, there is virtually no going back unless you are able to adjust to the limitations again. Even basic smartphone tasks can usually be done easier, quicker, and more intuitively on Android. Something as simple as navigating back is a vastly better experience on Android than it is on iOS where it is frightfully inconsistent.

If I were frustrated I wouldn't use it.

In my drawer right now I've got a Note 4 that I could use if I wanted to. I don't because I don't want to.

Your choice to use Android.

I chose *against* it.

I am ready to be classified an "ardent iPhone fan" or an iSheep. Don't care. I ardently use what works for me with no regard to Internet forum strangers who feel that they know better than I do about what I prefer.

Understanding, the entire time, that it was my choice of platform. Have I used Tizen? No. Have I used Sailfish? No. Have I used Jolla? No. They're not readily available to me. Given that, my choice is iOS because I simply prefer it. Eyes wide open as to what else is available.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Kies is not an android product either and you really should only use it for emergencies. You can easily avoid using a cable on Android. I would argue that android devices are more 'stand alone' than ios devices.

You should inform Samsung. It's what sales reps tell you to use. This thread is about an SGS7, isn't it? So someone who isn't acquainted with forums will use what's there. And what is there is in fact Kies or Kies Air.

So Kies is not an Android product but is a product of the company they makes the SGS7 which is what this thread is about.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Your perspective.

As far as downloading large apps, I prefer to do it on WiFi. I don't want to use my data for that. I'm happy that you have your choice to use cellular to do that. Celebrate.

Exactly, I'm not saying you are wrong about your choice to stay with iOS, nor am I saying that you are gullable. My previous posts are just pointing out that Apple does entrap users in it's ecosystem bubble and restrictive iOS, which uniformly conforms it's users of how to use their devices. Unless you are Jailbroken, you are using iOS exactly how Apple wants you to. That's a fact, not opinion. With any Android phone, it's the complete opposite.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You should inform Samsung. It's what sales reps tell you to use. This thread is about an SGS7, isn't it? So someone who isn't acquainted with forums will use what's there. And what is there is in fact Kies or Kies Air.

So Kies is not an Android product but is a product of the company they makes the SGS7 which is what this thread is about.
I don't know a single Samsung martphone user that uses Kies. Anyone that brings it just shows they are out of touch.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Exactly, I'm not saying you are wrong about your choice to stay with iOS, nor am I saying that you are gullable. My previous posts are just pointing out that Apple does entrap users in it's ecosystem bubble and restrictive iOS, which uniformly conforms it's users of how to use their devices. Unless you are Jailbroken, you are using iOS exactly how Apple wants you to. That's a fact, not opinion. With any Android phone, it's the complete opposite.
And my point is that I am no means trapped. I like the ecosystem which is why I use it. I haven't conformed, I have chosen to use a set of tools. I don't jailbreak because I am perfectly happy with my device as is, which is a fact for me. With an Android phone, I was not happy which is why I went away from it. If I wanted to use an Android phone, there is one in the drawer in my kitchen. There is another that I can't use because I broke the screen but I could get it fixed if I wanted to. But I never wanted to which is why I have a two year gap between the SGS3 and the Note 4.
And oh by the way I forgot to count the SGS5 because I originally chose for work due to the removable battery and which I then changed on an early upgrade to an iPhone because I was not happy with the SGS5, AT ALL.
[doublepost=1458318946][/doublepost]
I don't know a single Samsung martphone user that uses Kies. Anyone that brings it just shows they are out of touch.
As I said, tell that to the carrier store reps. It's what they tell you to use.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
And my point is that I am no means trapped. I like the ecosystem which is why I use it. I haven't conformed, I have chosen to use a set of tools. I don't jailbreak because I am perfectly happy with my device as is, which is a fact for me. With an Android phone, I was not happy which is why I went away from it. If I wanted to use an Android phone, there is one in the drawer in my kitchen. There is another that I can't use because I broke the screen but I could get it fixed if I wanted to. But I never wanted to which is why I have a two year gap between the SGS3 and the Note 4.
And oh by the way I forgot to count the SGS5 because I originally chose for work due to the removable battery and which I then changed on an early upgrade to an iPhone because I was not happy with the SGS5, AT ALL.

You're not trap per se, but you're trapped in the sense of Apple basically saying "My house, my rules, you will abide by, or leave." If you like Apple's way, that perfectly fine, but it's not like you have a choice in the way you actually use an iOS device.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
You're not trap per se, but you're trapped in the sense of Apple basically saying "My house, my rules, you will abide by, or leave." If you like Apple's way, that perfectly fine, but it's not like you have a choice in the way you actually use an iOS device.

OK...let me say this again. I *chose* to use an iPhone because I *like* its approach and I *prefer* it to Android. If I didn't like the way Apple does things I would not have *chosen* it. When faced with the option of buying either the Note 5 or the iPhone 6s Plus I *chose* the iPhone 6s Plus. Having had an iPhone 6 and a Note 4 I knew going in how each behaved and I *preferred* the iOS way.

Phones in my drawer at the moment - Atrix, SGS2 was destroyed my dog so no longer lives, SGS3 with a broken screen that I did not fix and a Note 4. If I, at any point in time, preferred Android or Samsung I would have not bought the iPhone 6s Plus which is the latest after the 3GS, 4S, 5, 5s, and 6. Or I would have gone to any of the several BlackBerry devices I had before. Or I would have bought the BlackBerry Priv which runs Android. Or I would have bought the latest Windows phone after my Lumia 1520.

But no. Faced with all the choices available to me, I chose the iPhone 6s Plus because it works best for me. Exactly as it is.

Clear now?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The fact that you brought up Kies says it all. The majority of users never bothered with that crap software unless we wanted to do an emergency firmwate recovery. The choice not to use Kies for backups of settings and etc exists for us. Now try backing up your iOS settings and etc without iCloud or iTunes. Yes, iOS default backups are better than Android or Samsung default backups. But we have the choice to use other backups services that are even more convenient and robust than iOS backups, even without root.

As far as tinkering goes. I barely tinker(root, load roms, and etc) anymore. 95% of what I do to customize to my liking is already an option out the box.

I refuse to believe there hasn't been at least several things you wanted to do on iOS that you was restricted of doing. Whether it was how you wanted to do it, or what you wanted to do. For myself, I still have issue with apps on iOS still not allowing me to use my celluar data, while the same apps on Android allow me that option.
Yes Kies is a piece of crap. I figured that out when I tried to do a software update on my original galaxy note. It was the first and last time that I used it.

Connecting via usb to transfer content is easy enough. Sometimes my devices would disconnect but not enough to make it less convenient enough.

Media management is easier on android if you have a lot of your own media e.g ripped videos. However on iOS I tend to buy all my content from iTunes and in that way the media is managed for me. If I were ripping videos that would not be as easy on iOS.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As I said, tell that to the carrier store reps. It's what they tell you to use.
yes...but you brought it up i believe. Carrier reps are not known for the most accurate information. They give bad advice for both iphone useage and Android as well. Just saying that so when you describe your Android experience it might be best not to mention Kies. It's clunker piece of software.
Anyway.....you seem to insinuate that others here are trying to convince you to switch to Android. I don't think anyone has said that.
I think all people should use what best suits them. No matter what the device or mobile OS is.
I have a 6s+ and S7 edge and Nexus 6P. Love them all and switch between them all the time. It is the best of both worlds.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Yes Kies is a piece of crap. I figured that out when I tried to do a software update on my original galaxy note. It was the first and last time that I used it.

Connecting via usb to transfer content is easy enough. Sometimes my devices would disconnect but not enough to make it less convenient enough.

Media management is easier on android if you have a lot of your own media e.g ripped videos. However on iOS I tend to buy all my content from iTunes and in that way the media is managed for me. If I were ripping videos that would not be as easy on iOS.

I disagree with the media management statement. 100% of movies, most tv shows, and most music is ripped from disc. I rip a disc, clip add to library, and iTunes shoots it to my NAS drive. From iTunes I select either iPhone or iPad, check or uncheck a few boxes, click sync, and it's done. Device can be in the bedroom, it doesn't matter.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
yes...but you brought it up i believe. Carrier reps are not known for the most accurate information. They give bad advice for both iphone useage and Android as well. Just saying that so when you describe your Android experience it might be best not to mention Kies. It's clunker piece of software.
Anyway.....you seem to insinuate that others here are trying to convince you to switch to Android. I don't think anyone has said that.
I think all people should use what best suits them. No matter what the device or mobile OS is.
I have a 6s+ and S7 edge and Nexus 6P. Love them all and switch between them all the time. It is the best of both worlds.
Yes I brought up Kies because it was the sofware that was touted as the Samsung version of iTunes when I bought my SGS3 and then was informed to upgrade it when I bought my Note 4. It was lackluster at best and a steaming pile at worst. I do mention it because it was part of my experience. My SGS5 was managed through work and we had to use Good Tech and nothing else. It was a closed agency. I skipped the Note 5 so I haven't used a Samsung past my Note 4. And I'm unlikely to unless the Note 6 comes with a user replaceable battery; it's my experience that battery life suffers greatly after the first major OS upgrade.
I do agree that everyone should use what suits them.
With that, no one should claim entrapment or unfamiliarity or being out of touch with a particular when the choice isn't what one would have. THAT is what I object to. At the moment that I bought my Note 4, my last Samsung, I was told to use Kies. I didn't dream that. Is it trash? Yes, which is why I became frustrated with it.
*IF* Lollipop hadn't destroyed my Note 4, and the Note 5 would have had a user replaceable battery, I would have bought it to add it to my collection of phones. I'm addicted so I use them all. My main line is dedicated to iOS because of iMessage and Facetime, my secondary line is my Android line, my third line is my Lumia/BlackBerry Passport line. I run them all concurrently. But sadly Lollipop destroyed my Note 4; it's now a laggy, stuttering, boot loop, freezing mess. From the beast it used to be when I got it. So I've moved my BlackBerry Passport to the secondary, what used to be my Note 4 line.

I have ***NEVER*** experienced that with any of my iPhones after an upgrade. Which is one of the reasons I prefer them.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes I brought up Kies because it was the sofware that was touted as the Samsung version of iTunes when I bought my SGS3 and then was informed to upgrade it when I bought my Note 4. It was lackluster at best and a steaming pile at worst. I do mention it because it was part of my experience. My SGS5 was managed through work and we had to use Good Tech and nothing else. It was a closed agency. I skipped the Note 5 so I haven't used a Samsung past my Note 4. And I'm unlikely to unless the Note 6 comes with a user replaceable battery; it's my experience that battery life suffers greatly after the first major OS upgrade.
I do agree that everyone should use what suits them.
With that, no one should claim entrapment or unfamiliarity or being out of touch with a particular when the choice isn't what one would have. THAT is what I object to. At the moment that I bought my Note 4, my last Samsung, I was told to use Kies. I didn't dream that. Is it trash? Yes, which is why I became frustrated with it.
*IF* Lollipop hadn't destroyed my Note 4, and the Note 5 would have had a user replaceable battery, I would have bought it to add it to my collection of phones. I'm addicted so I use them all. My main line is dedicated to iOS because of iMessage and Facetime, my secondary line is my Android line, my third line is my Lumia/BlackBerry Passport line. I run them all concurrently. But sadly Lollipop destroyed my Note 4; it's now a laggy, stuttering, boot loop, freezing mess. From the beast it used to be when I got it. So I've moved my BlackBerry Passport to the secondary, what used to be my Note 4 line.

I have ***NEVER*** experienced that with any of my iPhones after an upgrade. Which is one of the reasons I prefer them.
You do realize that replaceable batteries and Samsung phones will likely never happen again. Then the same experience you had with software updates slowing your S3...well the iphone section here on MR and the internet is FULL of people that claim the same thing about their iphones....just saying.

If your N4 had boot loop issues and the extreme lag you described....well it might be hardware related. Maybe a factory reset with the current Android version would take care of that. Not sure. I had a N4 and didn't experience those issues. But not everyone's experiences are the same :) that goes for all platforms.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
You do realize that replaceable batteries and Samsung phones will likely never happen again. Then the same experience you had with software updates slowing your S3...well the iphone section here on MR and the internet is FULL of people that claim the same thing about their iphones....just saying.

If your N4 had boot loop issues and the extreme lag you described....well it might be hardware related. Maybe a factory reset with the current Android version would take care of that. Not sure. I had a N4 and didn't experience those issues. But not everyone's experiences are the same :) that goes for all platforms.
Yup. I know everyone has different experiences. Which is why, if you notice, I use "I" and "my" instead of "the" when I post.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
OK...let me say this again. I *chose* to use an iPhone because I *like* its approach and I *prefer* it to Android. If I didn't like the way Apple does things I would not have *chosen* it. When faced with the option of buying either the Note 5 or the iPhone 6s Plus I *chose* the iPhone 6s Plus. Having had an iPhone 6 and a Note 4 I knew going in how each behaved and I *preferred* the iOS way.

Phones in my drawer at the moment - Atrix, SGS2 was destroyed my dog so no longer lives, SGS3 with a broken screen that I did not fix and a Note 4. If I, at any point in time, preferred Android or Samsung I would have not bought the iPhone 6s Plus which is the latest after the 3GS, 4S, 5, 5s, and 6. Or I would have gone to any of the several BlackBerry devices I had before. Or I would have bought the BlackBerry Priv which runs Android. Or I would have bought the latest Windows phone after my Lumia 1520.

But no. Faced with all the choices available to me, I chose the iPhone 6s Plus because it works best for me. Exactly as it is.

Clear now?

You obviously didn't understand my post.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yup. I know everyone has different experiences. Which is why, if you notice, I use "I" and "my" instead of "the" when I post.
yes...but people have to be careful insinuating that their experience is indicative of the everyone else's as well. that a whole platform is bad or tainted because they had a bad experience.

Anyway....like I said, I enjoy both platforms equally. I love my iphone 6s+. I also love my Android phones.
I am getting a Lumia 950 xl today to try Windows Mobile 10 :)

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
You obviously didn't understand my post.
No I understood. Your post places a high value on something that is insignificant to me - doing things outside of the iOS ecosystem. I simply disagree that I would want to do anything in any way differently from the iOS way. I simply do not find it necessary or needful.

I'm in Apple's house, I knew the house rules, and they worked for me and I have no need, desire, or inclination to use my device in any other way because the way iOS runs is perfect for me.
[doublepost=1458324233][/doublepost]
yes...but people have to be careful insinuating that their experience is indicative of the everyone else's as well. that a whole platform is bad or tainted because they had a bad experience.

Anyway....like I said, I enjoy both platforms equally. I love my iphone 6s+. I also love my Android phones.
I am getting a Lumia 950 xl today to try Windows Mobile 10 :)

I suppose that I would have to review everything I've posted. I don't feel that I have spoken for anyone other than myself.

Reactions: jamezr and MrWillie
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.