Is the iBook really good?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macgenius09, Feb 18, 2010.

1. macgenius09 macrumors newbie

macgenius09

Hey who here likes the apple ibook? huh? anybody?

The apple iBook can still go on the new fast internet. But only if it has the highest version of Mac OS X that can be installed on it.

:apple::):apple:

2. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Please enlighten me on this "fast" internet you call? ... Hold on i've got a telephone call coming through. :eek:

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

which iBooks are you talking about the g3 or the g4 ...fast broadband you mean "wireless n" i suppose ?

who needs wireless n when you got ethernet :D
    i love wires , wired keyboards ,wired mice,ethernet :)

4. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

White ibooks were apple's worst laptops ever. Aside from the actual hardware issues that nearly every single one of them experienced they also smelled really bad, especially if you opened the keyboard up.

5. MacTech68, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I remember some of them coming into the workshop like that and yes, they DID smell. I never found out the cause though I still suspect it to be the heat transfer pads.

However, despite the bad reputation of the "White" iBooks (more notably the G3) I find the later G4 iBooks to be a good machine, and still use the last model (iBook G4 Mid 2005) 1.42Ghz as my main machine today.

I am yet to experience the bad solder joins on the G4 iBook regulator IC, though I suspect this may only occur on G4 models prior to the "Mid 2005" models.

Yes, the White G3 iBooks are notoriously bad for the GPU that literally falls of the motherboard, but many manufacturers experienced this when going to lead free solder on BGA components.

just my 2c :)
    ________
    hash honey oil

6. macgenius09 thread starter macrumors newbie

macgenius09

the square ones? cause that's not what I'm talkin about

no the clamshells! here's a picture:

[​IMG]
    :apple::mad::apple:

you know! the newest version of the internet!

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

ah clamshells how nice so i guess now i know what he means with fast internet he means BROADBAND or DSL (some countrys refere to broadband as dsl) and yes via ethernet you can connect the clamshells to your broadband , its even possible wirelessly but only wireless b ,but is slower then ethernet

8. macgenius09 thread starter macrumors newbie

macgenius09

yeah Broadband, DSL, or what I have which is Current which goes through my utilities. Pretty neat huh?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hey why is everyone saying its bad? I had a white G3 iBook and it was the most MINT laptop I've ever owned!:D

Yes, it can go on the net pretty good, but mine had some issues with flash... Though I had OS9 on it, with... INTERNET EXPLORER NINE!

10. macgenius09 thread starter macrumors newbie

macgenius09

man you guys just don't get it...

FOR THE LAST TIME I'M TALKIN ABOUT THE iBOOK CLAMSHELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

:apple::mad::apple:

11. bcrguy macrumors regular

iv always liked the look of those clamshells.. wish i could get ahold of one..

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

13. SuperBrown macrumors member

I love my white G4 iBook.

14. eggnogg macrumors newbie

eggnogg

Slow

the ibooks are all pretty much slow as s***

i just bought one, and it is SO SLOW!!!

then again, my budget was $250, so there was not much else in the way of good computers.

Anyway, the ibook models are all great laptops... if you are a very patient person.

if you value your time at all, get a newer intel mac! i will keep you from constantly waiting for an application to stop bouncing and finally get started!

15. macgenius09 thread starter macrumors newbie

macgenius09

well it was probably all worn out cause it was used a lot.

16. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I always really liked the iBooks. All of them, really. The white, clamshells, and G4s were all cool.
    My mom still has an old G3 white iBook. She uses it for internet and iChat, and that's about it. Works fine though!

17. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I've owned (at various points) since I was 14:

-- iBook G3 600MHz (nicknamed "icebook"
    -- iBook G3 500Mhz
    -- Clamshell iBook Tangerine (can't remember speed)
    -- Clamshell iBook (tangerine bottom, bondi screen)
    -- Clamshell iBook (Graphite with Firewire, ran Tiger)
    -- iBook G4 1.07Ghz

Most of these came to me broken, and I fixed 'em up to sell them. I DO love the iBooks. But, I can't run uTorrent on them, MacTheRipper sucks, SimCity 4 runs only OK on the faster G4s, Age of Empires kinda sucks on them. :-( If I liked classic games and Word, it would be fine.

18. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

We really enjoyed the clamshell iBook back in its day. Those were relatively durable machines, although relatively heavy compared to the laptops of today. I still have a clamshell floating around somewhere, although the battery is completely useless now, of course.

Despite the logic board failures (yes, we had a couple of these failures), we also loved the white G3 and G4 iBooks that followed the clamshells..... so I can't blame people for posting about their love of all iBooks. The iBooks (in general!) were a great line of laptops, especially for people who didn't need/want the more-expensive Powerbooks.

P.S. My wife still LOVES her 1.42 GHz white iBook (summer 2005), which was the last one of the series. I bought it for her immediately after it was released, and she is still using it every day, almost 5 years later. I've offered many times to buy her a newer computer, but she is hooked on this machine.

19. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

The internet doesn't go through versions ;)

20. bcrguy macrumors regular

right the internet hasnt changed.. the speed has changed what we can do with it.. and what we can do with it has made the need for speed inevitable...

i think the OP is thinking of a "fast ethernet" switch and thinks that its a different version...

21. cintrepid macrumors newbie

i want to buy a clamshell either tangerine, blueberry, or indigo idk which one i should get..........
    i am a iPod collecter and i want to buy this clamshell really badly:):):):):):):D

22. eggnogg macrumors newbie

eggnogg

yeah, ibooks are still for people who want to patiently dink around, and intel macbooks are for those who want to actually get some work (or play:)) done.

however, if you're on a budget, the ibook is the way to go

23. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, if you consider all the new technologies that have comes into play, the internet has gone through versions. Css, Ajax, flash, HTML5 and what have you have all influEnced thE internet. I can't use facebook chat nor properly browse this forum from opera 6 for windows 95. This is why, although I love iBooks, I couldn't daily use one anymore.

24. macgenius09 thread starter macrumors newbie

macgenius09

What the heck!

oh come on guys!!!!!!!! Quit putting down the iBook clamshell!!!!!! is this "Is the iBook really good?" or is this "Is the iBook really bad?" I mean come on! it's not that bad is it? It's only slow if it was used a lot in the past....

25. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

if all you want to do is go on the internet and stuff like that, a clamshell ibook with a airport card, maxed out ram and osx 10.3 will be more than powerful enough