Is the iPad Overpriced and Underspecced? What should it have...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wikoogle, Jan 27, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I think it's only a matter of time before HTC releases an Andriod based Tablet, specced similar to the incredible HTC Evo 4G and actually throw up some competition Apple's way. Apple couldve killed off competitors competitors before they even started by offering up the functionality people were demanding right out of the gate.

512 MB of Ram and a video camera would've cost Apple maybe an extra $5 to include. Instead, they opted to skimp on the ram and skip the camera, leaving a door wide open for Andriod to get a foothold into this market (assuming they're smart enough to walk through it).

My iPhone 3GS sometimes crashes when I have more than a couple of tabs open in the safari browser, and it has 256 mbs of ram.

Considering that the bigger display uses more ram, the problem will be worse on the iPad. There are already reports of the iPad crashing with as few as 4 tabs open.

Why the hell did Apple skimp so much on the Ram?

What happens if HTC releases an Andriod based Tablet with the HTC EVO 4G phone's Specs? Apple will suddenly have a competitor stealing market share, that's what. If HTC acts fast, the iPad could be outspecced before it even released worldwide.

Would it have killed Apple to make the device comparable to that in power level, considering they're charging twice as much for it, it's a device meant to compete with netbooks, and that they have a lot more room to work with?

Of course the even bigger problem (THE BIGGEST PROBLEM) is the severe limitations Apple is imposing on how we can use the device, the inability to download files, the inability to run programs not preapproved by apple, or hell to even browse most of the videos on the internet, is not okay.

That was barely acceptable on the iPhone, and that got a pass because it was cellphone, a device everyone already needed anyways. This is supposed to replace netbooks, a device we buy not out of neccesity, but out of functionality. We don't want limitations placed on that. Putting the same limitations on it that a company puts on cellphones is NOT okay.

This article about sums up the problems....
    This is why I'm disappointed...

No iSight Camera (5 MP with LED Flash, 1080P Video Recording and a much bigger lens so that it actually takes decent photos even with low lighting)

No Videocalling/Conferencing/iChat (It would have been awesome to be able to keep in touch with family through video calling (even if enabled over wifi only) when away for college or serving overseas)

No GPS (it has the limited cell tower based GPS found on the iPhone 2G, not the true GPS that can offer up turn by turn navigation found on the 3GS)

No Multitasking

No Wireless Syncing or File Transfers

No File Management or Freedom to download files (even documents) from online, you can't even delete something off the iPad or move some videos over to an SD Card, USB Stick or an External HDD to make room for an App/iTunes Movie Rental. Seriously there is no good reason why the iPhone OS doesn't give us the funtionality to drag and drop video, music, pictures and documents into our iTunes library off of an SD Card or USB Key (or out of our iTunes library into an SD card) without having to sync it to a computer. DRM is ******** and besides many of us have tons of DRM free files in our iTunes libraries that we should be free to move back and forth. If aesthetics was the main reason for leaving out USB and SD ports (unlikely given how ugly the bezel is) they couldve had a slide out panel flush with the device that had these slots/ports

Screen can't display HD resolution, it shouldve had 1440 x 1080 so that it could play HD content without downscaling it to a lower resolution

An extremely disappointing 256 MB of RAM when even many cellphones have 1 gig of RAM

No Additional Touch Gestures (Here's the kinds of gestures we were hoping for... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFnavI57gyQ)

No Java or Flash support (no hulu.com)

Only 16-64 gbs of HDD space when most tablets offer 250 gbs minimum

No USB (3.0) Port (you can't hook it up to a printer to print off an iWorks project, you cant connect a USB key that has some documents stored etc)

No ability to connect to an external hdd, or even to directly pop in an SDCard to expand storage

The enormous bezel is a massive eyesore. I thought Apple was all about design, so how they could make such a large and ugly bezel for a premier device escapes me. And no, its not because it would be difficult to program the software to ignore a thumb placed at the very outermost edge of a screen. I already often have my thumb on the outer edge of the screen on the iPhone and the software is programmed to ignore it and is smart enough to do so. So there really was no good reason to make the bezel so enormous.

No Handwriting Recognition or Support for a Stylus. A huge selling point of any Tablet is to be able to take notes in classes and such.

No Ability to run custom Apps not preapproved by Apple (Google Voice, uTorrent etc)

No Ability to download files from online

No OLED Screen (forgivable) but the screen is incapable of displaying 1080p resolution, and is not even the 1.5:1 aspect ratio of the iPhone (much less 16:9), 4:3 is such a huge step backwards

A Very Low Resolution Display with 25% fewer pixels per inch than the iPhone or iPod Touch, the display should have a higher resolution

No integrated TV Antenna, HD Radio Antenna or FM Transmitter (They even developed a HD DTV Tuner for use in cellphones to allow users to pick up OTA HDTV signals on the go! Just imagine being able to watch tv thanks to off the air hdtv signals, wherever you are. Why they didn't include this technology in this device I won't even understand. They could've even included a record video function on the tablet to give it PVR functionality)

No TV/Video Out (HDMI out like many netbooks)

According to Apple's page on the product, the maximum resolution it is capable of playing MPEG4s at is 640x480 resolution at 30 fps (note I'm talking about MPEG4 Video here, the most popular format for Apple devices)

It features a 1 Ghz processor that significantly slower than just about every single notebook on the market today (as demonstrated by this processor's inability to render MPEG4 at any resolution higher than 640x480)

No OTA Sync With Apple TV or Servers To Stream Video

No Low Reflective Screen Mode for high contrast Ebook Reading that doesn't hurt your eyes

No Gamepad attachment for Gaming With Physical Buttons/Tactile Feedback

http://flickr.com/photos/danielmacdonald/2127089390/

Three requirements are must haves imho...

1. The peripheral should look very sleek, flush with the phone and use the same black plastic found in the front of all iphones. iPhone owners care greatly about how thier device looks.

2. The peripheral must have dual analog sticks/nubs. Imagine the PSP's analog nub, but on both sides. Portable gamers have been clamoring for this feature forever now, so it's about time they get it. I can't overstress how important it is the the iPhone's gaming pad has DUAL ANALOG NUBS (and shoulder trigger buttons).

3. The peripheral must have two shoulder buttons and a solid D-Pad akin to the PSP/PS3's D-Pad to enable fighting games.

Do these things and the peripheral will be a big hit.

Also the smaller the add on, the better. It should be as small as humanly possible. And it should have a rectangular design with curved edges identical to the iphone.

No ability to connect to a bluetooth mouse/keyboard

No RFID/IR to use it as a remote, or to tag it to yourself

No Replacable/Removable Batteries

The $250 netbook that I'm typing this on gives me just about every one of the hardware features that I'm asking for (it has a 320 gb hdd, 2 gigs of ram, a hdmi out, two usb ports, an sdcard slot, removable battery, a great iSight camera etc), and you're seriously telling me Apple couldn't have incorporated atleast some of these features into their device that costs between 2x-3x as much as my netbook did?

Many people (including I) had their credit cards out during the conference and were ready to pay $1000 for an Apple Tablet that offers some of the above functionality, functionality that netbooks that cost a fourth as much offer.

We had every right to be disappointed.

Clearly, I'm not alone in feeling this way, this site is riddled with comments such as these...

[​IMG]

In essense, the iPad has all the limitations of the iphone (limited storage capacity/inabilty to connect to an external harddrive to expand storage and transfer files, music and documents/inability to manage or delete videos and music etc) with none of the portability, and a great deal less funtionality than the iPhone as well (it can't take video, it can't take pictures, it can't make phone calls, it doesn't have GPS). It has the size/inconvenience of a laptop but without any of the functionality or freedom.

Both the iPod and the iPhone were actual significant leaps forward when they came out. This thing however is like taking 3 steps back. Post in this thread if you agree. There is so much this can't do that even the iPhone that's a fifth it's size can do, and there is nothing it can do that the iPhone can't. Apple started the presentation by saying that for a Tablet to succeed, it has to some things better than both the iPhone 3GS and a Macbook Pro do. Then they went on to unveil a product that utterly fails this test.

I'm not saying the iPad will fail. The iPad will obviously sell like crazy to casual consumers. But it could have been SOOO MUCH MORE. It could have truly killed netbooks, for everyone, not just the casuals.

This bezel pictured looks far superior to the thick bezel that was found in the iPad that Steve Jobs unveiled, why didn't Apple think to go with a bezel this size instead? It is still plenty large enough to comfortably rest your thumb on. And even if it wasn't, its not difficult to program the software to ignore a thumb placed at the very outermost edge of a screen. I already often have my thumb on the outer edge of the screen on the iPhone and the software is already fully programmed to ignore a part of a thumb placed at the edge of a screen and is smart enough to do so. So there really was no good reason to make the bezel so enormous.

I also think the home button is a poor choice aesthetically. There is no reason that it needs to stick out of the bezel like a sore thumb as much as it does and I'm not convinced it even needs to exist. The bottom of the screen couldve instead had a better looking Tab bar that is both used for multitasking and couldve served as the home button..

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

It does have bluetooth, video out and an sd card reader if you buy an add on. Anyway I am not disappointed at all and will be buying on day one. Its alot cheaper than I thought it would be.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

OP, you know the architecture of the A4 chip?

I take it you are a big subscriber of the Ghz myth.

4. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

No camera for video chat + no stylus to take notes (draw pictures in class) and no flash for hulu. If it had these 3 things, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To me, it's not a disappointment for Revision A.

6. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

There's a difference between not knowing and not caring. The average consumer is ignorant of just how important things like processor and ram are in rendering graphics, playing video, allowing for fast speed and performance, and enabling increible looking apps and games.

The average consumer does care that the video their friend emailed them won't play on their iPad because it needs flash. The average consumer does prefer apps and games that look better.

The average customer would prefer to play a game that looks like Halo 3 on their iPad, over playing a game that looks like NOVA.

If the iPad had more ram and a better processor, it would be able to render flash video, it would be able to multitask, Microsoft would've been able to develop and release Office for it and it would have games that look atleast as good as Super Mario Galaxy.

And yes, even the average consumer would notice and appreciate the difference between how Super Mario Galaxy looks and how a platformer on the iPad looks.

Because Apple crippled the device, developers will set this device as the baseline. So even if the iPad 2 years from now can render games that look like Super Mario Galaxy on the device, they won't bother developing such a game since it would leave out all the 1st gen iPad owners.

Current smartphones are using a 1 Ghz Snapdragon Processors and 512 mbs of ram (and in some cases dual core 1.5 Ghz processors and 1 gb of ram). All that power just to render a 4.3 inch screen.

There's no reason why the iPad couldn't have offered a decent processor and 512 mbs of ram.

And don't tell it would've cost too much. Current netbooks (smaller and lighter than the iPad) offer 1.2 Ghz processors and 2gbs or ram for a price under $300.

They can all render flash just fine. The only reason the iPad can't is because it's so crippled in terms of Ram and processor speed.

If the average consumer doesn't care about flash, why is it that my grandparents email me almost nothing but flash videos. You don't they will care that their iPad (if they ever got one), will not be able to play or watch those videos they love to email.

How would a two minute flash video significantly alter battery life anyway. The only way the inclusion of flash might effect battery life, are heavy users that spend hours browsing flash heavy places.

And I guarentee those people would prefer being atleast able to view that content, even if it hurts battery life.

If they really care about battery life that much, they could simply click on Settings and Toggle Flash off, the same way they toggle Bluetooth off.

Hell Flash could have started off toggled off by default, so that only those that want flash content, even at the cost of battery life, get it.

NT1440, Read the ArsTechnica blog.

They reported that Nova, and several of the apps were actually running slower/choppier on the iPad than they run on their iPhone 3GSs.

Heck read Apple's own site. They advertize it being able to at maximum play MPEG4s at 640x480 resolution at 30 fps. The same as an iPhone 3GS, not even HD!

So yes, I'm fairly sure it's weaker than netbooks.

7. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Your list has MANY very valid points. The BIG issue for me is (no snickering) SIZE!!! How the hell can I carry that with me anywhere, like my touch and MiFi?? My Mifi sits in a pocket, as does my touch. Same for a cell phone which clips to my belt. If I want a SCREEN, I'll fire up (always on standby) my desktop pc (with 25.5" screen), or my laptop (15") or my netbook (9.7"). No need for me to have ANOTHER appliance that ISN'T REALLY PORTABLE. well it's "portable" in that I COULD take it somewhere. But I can't put it in a pocket. Therefore--it's much ado about nothing, and I'm not buying it, even at $500 for the 16GB version. I don't need to spend $500 to read an occasional magazine. I read books on my Touch--works GREAT and is very light--under 4 oz, so I can hold it for well over an hour.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

The only thing for this Rev A I would have liked to seen, but understand why it's not there.

Flash support. I watch Hulu vs TV for many, many shows.

I'm sure the hackers will come up with an alternative so for me this is a pretty damn cool device based on the price.

9. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

So how come there's no Flash for the iphone/Touch when you are so sure that there will be Flash for the iPad?

10. XX55XX macrumors regular

1. The screen is too big. I would have prefered a 6-7 inch screen.
    2. No multitasking.
    3. Runs on a gimped version of a mobile OS (why can't they tweak the interface further to accommodate the larger screen?) Clear lack of innovation here.

I am sure that the iPad will eventually mature and become a household device we all know and love, but at this moment in time, it is not ready yet. Let us wait for Rev 2!

11. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I hear it also has a camera if you buy a camera add on (a camera that you take pictures with and then upload them onto the iPad), and I hear it even has GPS if you buy a GPS add on to look up directions with. :rolleyes:

12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

The lack of a digital TV tuner does it for me. Lack of an Apple application dedicated to filling out forms and taking notes with a stylus is also a big disappointment.

13. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Yeah, maybe Rev 2, or 3.. will come with a 5 inch screen...then I might bite.

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

15. bossxii macrumors 68000

? I never said their will be flash, I said the hacker community will likely give us the same access to Hulu as they already have done on the iPhone. If you jailbreak your iPhone, you can install a Hulu type clone that will access and play video.

I don't expect native flash on either device and never stated that in my original post.

16. cube macrumors G5

I was hoping for a 7" screen. Coincidentally, that might have satified the craving of the OLED ravers.

17. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Honestly, I just don't see the practicality of the iPad. I understand the larger screen. I can do most of these functions on my iPhone.

However, I'm pleased with the price.

Habitus :apple:

18. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

I know about jailbreaking. Just not interested in doing that.

19. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

can you download files on this thing?
    the domain of the ipad seems to revolve about your credit card (oops the iStores)

20. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

It's pointless. No multitasking is the worst thing.

21. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

The big thing I was hoping for was a really cool media store where publishers could sell interactive versions of magazines and newspapers and textbooks and they could have embedded multimedia and social networking and markup and such all built in. Instead we got an eBook store, big whoop. There's nothing industry-changing about eBooks. So instead of an industry-changing device we have an Apple eBook reader and Netbook in a tablet form. A nice novelty device, but nothing earth-shattering.

22. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Using the iPhone OS, there won't be any file downloading. Don't forget--Jobs likes to keep things "tight" on that OS. (think lack of multitasking--It would be nice if by the time of release, MT is a feature, but don't hold your breath)

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I think it is a way that Apple can earn more money from the App Store.
    A cheap cash in for Apple, as the iPad simply is a pregnant iPod touch. And it lacks multitasking, java and flash.

I do not think Apple have really thought about this one. It's a half baked product, rushed out. If they had included flash, java and multitasking support, this may have been a winner, but now it just looks like an overpriced eReader.

When the rumour of a Tablet Mac was released I imagined a touchscreen iMac, not a bloated iPod touch.

Flame away.

24. cybeross macrumors newbie

talk about putting the cart before the horse! This project is BASS-ACKWARDS!

Why was the iphone special? Because it brought a computer/phone to my POCKET. It wasn't that it had more features than a laptop (other than phone), it was that those features were truly useful/portable.
    Here we have none of that-- no more portability than a laptop, no more phone, you need an accessory for a keyboard, which a macbook already has bundled neatly in, you need an accessory for a camera which a macbook has, etc.

We like an iphone not because iphone os is BETTER than osx, but because that's all that could fit in a small device. Now we just have a clunky, severely crippled device that can do less than an iphone can, and WAY less than a macbook. I can't even skype with the damn thing!

Seriously, how could it have *POSSIBLY* taken SOOO long for someone to just hook up a bigger screen to an iphone? Where's the development? Where's the research? There's nothing new here, and certainly nothing groundbreaking... It's just a dumbed down iphone with none of the iphone advantages. Years and years and years working on this? Get real...

25. dronus macrumors 6502

dronus

I can buy alot of newspapers or magazines for $500, alot more decent ones for $800 and they can be reused in kitty litter trays or to do something useful, like, say start a small fire.

Apple will realise (one day) that by making all this hype and then letting people down doesnt do anything positive for them.

This device lacks most of the things i was hoping it would have, and being in AU where im pretty sure no carrier has micro-sim cards its pretty moot.