Is the iphone 4 really that much better than my 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erkanasu, Jun 27, 2010.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Hope i don't piss off too many people here...

Nicer screen, faster, hd video, multitasking... okay, is that it? that stuff sounds sweet, but I am seriously debating canceling my iphone 4 order because I'm starting to feel like it's not worth it. My iPhone 3G is still chugging a long beautifully. practically, i don't see a huge upgrade. I'm almost tempted to swap my iPhone 4 order for an ipad to experience that. What am i missing and what were you reasons to upgrade?

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

3g to iphone 4 is a huge upgrade. go to the apple store and try it out.

3. zorahk macrumors 6502

If this topic was about 3GS, I'd say eh.

But since we are talking about 3G, you're missing out on multitasking.

4. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

If this upgrade isn't convincing enough, you will never be satisfied.
    The next couple upgrades over the next 1-2 years will most likely be minor and mostly spec changes.

Now is the time to get an iPhone, imo.

5. 360glitch macrumors newbie

Regular 3G? Great phone, but if you've got a 4 pre-ordered, be patient, it'll be well worth it.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I sold my 3G for $150. It seemed like a no brainer to me.

So far I'm really enjoying it and I think it was worth the upgrade, my 3G just felt too slow for me. The screen, which I thought would be the least interesting of the new features, has quickly become my favorite.

So I don't know if it will be worth the upgrade for you, but you definitely won't regret anything about the phone.

7. geoffreyq macrumors newbie

Of Course

OF COURSE

first of all, the 3G doesn't even support multitasking, and the iPhone 4 introduces so many more features and feels faster, however it still seems like the same speed as the 3gs. Buy it, since I'm assuming you're eligable for an upgrade:eek:

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If you're sticking with AT&T and don't mind another two year commitment it is definitely worth the upgrade.
    In hand, the new phone will impress you.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If the OP uses Redsnow to Jailbreak, he can choose to enable multitasking and wallpapers. My 3G has these and the phone is almost as good as my 3GS but not nearly as perfect as my iPhone 4!

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I moved from a launch day 3G to a launch day 4G.

At first I wasn't sure, but using it over the weekend, yeah, it's really nice. Not only does it have better features, but it also is just a smoother experience. The A4 is a BIG upgrade. I never realized how slow my 3G was until using my 4G for a few days.

Don't cancel that order.

11. specops macrumors regular

1. The iphone 4 is a HUGE upgrade, they change EVERY hardware part on the phone... everything is better now.

2. It will be a huge upgrade from your 3G

3. The ipad would be LESS of an upgrade/change from your 3G... The ipad = larger screen, THATS IT.

12. Suertetres macrumors newbie

I think so. I rotated between my BB and my 3G. Love the ip4. No doubt it's faster. I like the form factor as well. I'd go try one out at the Apple store. The 3G was starting to lag bad, especially after the software upgrade. Worth every penny IMO

13. hipvamore macrumors regular

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Don't doubt how much better it will be after using an iPhone 4 for a day. It's significantly faster, which alone should be worth the upgrade. Make sure to get a 32GB model, you'll probably go through all of the space, which I almost have. Gizmodo compared the iPhone 3GS to getting a new computer after three years, and this is a bigger jump. Same OS, much better hardware.

15. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I upgraded from a 3G. Here's why it was a good move, most important things first:

1) Faster processor and more system RAM: much much *much* faster user experience. Night and day. This has been huge.

2) Retina display. Unfreakingbelievable.

3) Multitasking. Combined with #1, really nifty.

4) FaceTime. It just works.

New hardware design, thinner, better battery, improved video and camera quality...those are just icing on the cake.

iPhone4 has been pure win for me.

If you don't want your phone to be faster at launching and running apps, if you don't care about how crisp the display is, if multitasking isn't important to you, if video calling doesn't interest you, if you're satisfied with your battery life and camera and don't care about having the latest thing, then you shouldn't upgrade. :)

16. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

your guy's enthusiasm about the phone is pulling me back to it. maybe i'll swing by an apple store and check out in person as you guys suggested

thanks

17. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I'm buying a 4 just for the seed increase. My 3G is sloooowwwww compared to my ipad

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is a very worthwhile upgrade! I couldn't imagine going back to my 3GS let alone my 3g.

19. hkftw macrumors member

I upgraded to the iPhone 4 from my aging 3G and I have to say, it was money well spent

Stick with it.

20. hunter x az macrumors member

my eyes hurt looking at my wifes iphone 3g after looking at mine. so grainy, blurry.

21. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I had a 3G prior to my i4 and ... there is no comparison. It's incredibly fast and makes the experience just about perfect.

22. MT0227 macrumors 6502

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you keep your 3G I'd strongely suggest you NOT update to iOS4 if you haven't already. Mine runs much slower now. However, I decided to get the iPhone 4 anyway and I really enjoy it.

The iPhone 3G is perfectly fine however.

24. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Night and day. If you have any doubts, they'll disappear the second you hold an iPhone 4 for yourself.