Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bouldermac

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Huge Difference!!

I upgraded from the 3G to the 4, and Holy ***!

I loved my 3G, great phone, had a few issues, but enjoyed it. The only thing that was starting to pizz me off about the 3G was that it was slow. I'd hit the Messages button and it would literally take 5-10 sec to pull up the screen. No problem at all with the 4.

The display is awesome compared to the 3G.

I'd do the upgrade again in a second..

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Short Answer - Yes
Long Answer - Definitely

If you still have your 3G, take it into a store and play around with a 4 demo unit. The speed, display, camera improvement, compass, space (for me) and design ALL make this a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm coming from a 3G, so I should know what I'm talking about :)

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
LOL HAHAHAHAHH ROLF HAHAHAHAH OMFG!!! HAHAHAHAHAh is this a serious thread? dude, the 3G is a POS compared to the 3Gs.... litterally I cant use my budies 3g cause its so slow! the 3gs is way better, and the 4... well i dont know persay but its better than the 3gs... so I can only imagine

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
I would say the iPhone 4 is a huge upgrade, I wasn't as convinced when the 3Gs was introduced. That said, I'm going to keep my 3G for another year unless it breaks before that. If you're satisfied with what your 3G is giving you and don't feel the need to have the newest device, I say keep it.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Hope i don't piss off too many people here...

Nicer screen, faster, hd video, multitasking... okay, is that it? that stuff sounds sweet, but I am seriously debating canceling my iphone 4 order because I'm starting to feel like it's not worth it. My iPhone 3G is still chugging a long beautifully. practically, i don't see a huge upgrade. I'm almost tempted to swap my iPhone 4 order for an ipad to experience that. What am i missing and what were you reasons to upgrade?
You're not going to piss anyone off, we don't care what you do. But you sound like you're desperately justifying not upgrading rather than listing legitimate reasons, because none of your arguments against the Iphone 4 are really very valid. You yourself said it best - your 3G is "chugging along." Trust me, I know. I KNOW. "Chugging" is a very good word for how slow my 3G was.

"Is that it?" No - better battery, thinner design (trust me, it's way smaller feeling in-pocket,) better antenna (despite the "issues," it works way better,) and to write off what you wrote off . . . ridiculous. The screen is beautiful. The Iphone 4 is SO FAST, especially coming from a 3G. Multitasking is such a necessary thing that you won't even realize you're using it, and if you go back to your 3G (my wife is using mine) or use an app that doesn't take advantage of it you will be immensely annoyed. HD video . . . well, okay, maybe that's one thing that isn't "necessary," but come on, this is a pretty nice upgrade. A great camera that also takes really nice video.

Everything about the Iphone 4 is a huge, ginormogantic leap up from the 3G. I feel bad that my wife has to wait to get an Iphone 4 - in fact, I'm going to work hard this week to find one for her so she doesn't have to put up with it until Apple ships them in a few weeks.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I considered the 3GS a pretty major upgrade from the 3G. Many disagreed with me, but the speed made all the difference, and the other features were just gravy.

With that said, the iPhone 4 is a MASSIVE upgrade over the 3G IMO.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I considered the 3GS a pretty major upgrade from the 3G. Many disagreed with me, but the speed made all the difference, and the other features were just gravy.

With that said, the iPhone 4 is a MASSIVE upgrade over the 3G IMO.

I agree with you that the 3G to 3GS was a major upgrade, especially in the area of internal hardware (cpu, gpu, and RAM)...maybe even more so than the 3GS to iPhone 4 upgrade (at the very least...on the same level). The thing I think that made the 3GS seem so "insignificant" to most people was that the external housing didn't change, therefore people didn't "see" it as a huge change. But the graphics chip in the 3GS was a giant upgrade...so much so that they haven't even changed that chip in the iPad or new iPhone 4 (IIRC). I wonder if this is going to be Apple's long term strategy...changing external housing changes every other year. I'd imagine they get maximum return on investment in utilizing an external design for a full 2 year manufacturing run.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I upgraded from the 3G. I've been out of contract for 6 months, but I did research and knew a major upgrade was coming this summer. So I waited. For the first 24 hours after I got the i4, I was vacillating because of the $$$ outlay, but now I would never go back. I'll budget in different ways. This is a tool that I use constantly, and time is money too.

For me, it's the speed, and the camera, and the incredibly crisp screen.:D

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
These phones can last a long time. Yes the new models always have some drool-worthy new features, but I've been chugging along quite well on my 1st gen for three years. It used to be that cell phones were practically unusable and antiquated by 2 years. My old iPhone 1 still gets everything done that I need or want it to do.

Will the iPhone 4 be a huge upgrade for me? Definitely - especially having 3G. But I'm still surprised at the longevity of my 1st gen. I guess my point is that you need to evaluate how your current phone is doing FOR YOU before plunking down the cash for the next model. If you can eek another year out of your 3G without that much pain, might as well wait for the iPhone 5.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
A HUGE upgrade from my 3g. Blazing fast by comparison. The new features are great, and the clarity of the screen makes everything crisp and clear.
I'm very satisfied with mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.