Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
It's okay. The only features you will genuinely notice are the Retina display and HD recording. The other ones, while quite an upgrade, aren't as noticeable.

MacNasty

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
going from 3G to iP4 is a major difference...i havent got mine yet...but i played with it for like 10 minutes while i was at the apple store the other day...and WOW!! i cant wait till i get paid on friday to go pick mine up!

Focker

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Take it from someone who upgraded from the 3G to iP4. It's a night & day difference. No Question. I can't imagine ever going back to my 3G.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
It's okay. The only features you will genuinely notice are the Retina display and HD recording. The other ones, while quite an upgrade, aren't as noticeable.

The speed, man. The speed.

I mean really, hurricane, do have one? The speed is worth the price of admission alone...then add in iOS 4 + the battery....there is no comparison. I'm coming off a 3G, the speed of switching from app to app or just opening a new one is a remarkable difference.

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
UK
I moved from a launch day 3G to a launch day 4G.

At first I wasn't sure, but using it over the weekend, yeah, it's really nice. Not only does it have better features, but it also is just a smoother experience. The A4 is a BIG upgrade. I never realized how slow my 3G was until using my 4G for a few days.

Don't cancel that order.
Exactly the same here. 3g to 3gs just wasn't worth it imo so I kept the 3g.

3g to ip4 is a huge leap and well worth it.

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
I think it was a great upgrade. For me the 3 key upgrades were multitasking, better camera and video capabilities. The screen is icing on the cake. My contract was up so i paid the lowest price ($299 for 32 gig).

My wife is "test driving" my 3G for 3 weeks until her contract is up to see if she wants to get an iPhone 4 (she currently has a Samsung Eternity), when trying to help her do things i cant get over the difference in the two phones, both performance wise and visually.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I upgraded from a 3G to the 4 and am completely happy.

That said, the benefit depends a lot on what you use the iPhone for. The basic phone functions (voice, data, text) are somewhat improved, but not dramatically so. Where the big differences exist are in the speed of the processor/graphics, the clarity of the display, and the camera capabilities, which are massively better than the 3G. But if you don't use the camera much and only run a few simple apps, maybe those differences aren't that big a deal to you. It comes down to what you need from the phone.

If you sometimes find yourself getting frustrated with slowness on the 3G, by all means upgrade; your frustration will disappear.

BTW, unlike some of the other posters, I found the performance of the 3G with iOS 4 pretty close to the performance with 3.1.3. In fact, my wife is using the 3G now and is quite happy with it.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
If you were going from 3GS to iP4, I'd say it's not a huge discernible difference in speed, not like going from the 3G to 3GS was (even though they looked the same cosmetically, there was a dramatic jump in speed). But since you are going from 3G to iP4, it's going to be just a dramatic as the 3G to 3GS speed increase was, even more so actually with the increase in RAM as well. So yes, to answer your question, going from the 3G to iP4 will be a huge (pleasant) shock to you. You probably won't even want to ever touch your 3G ever again, especially once your eyes adjust to the Retina Display. I know that it's truly hard for me now to even look at my 3GS screen (I have an iP4) as it just looks so blurry and you can really notice the jaggedness of everything on it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

I'm guessing you never used google maps, any games, photo-editing apps, or, well, anything processor intenseive, huh?

This phone is so much faster than the 3G it's not even comparible.

I gave my 3G to a relative for free and now I actually feel bad about that.

bhattsan

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The upgrade is immense. Everything that has multitasking always stays open now so switching between apps is quick and instantaneous (don't have to open them again). The faster processor and 3g chip make cell browsing a much better experience. Don't even think about cancelling that preorder :D

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
Hope i don't piss off too many people here...

Nicer screen, faster, hd video, multitasking... okay, is that it? that stuff sounds sweet, but I am seriously debating canceling my iphone 4 order because I'm starting to feel like it's not worth it. My iPhone 3G is still chugging a long beautifully. practically, i don't see a huge upgrade. I'm almost tempted to swap my iPhone 4 order for an ipad to experience that. What am i missing and what were you reasons to upgrade?

Hows this.... I was getting no more then 2MB Down and well under 1MB Up on my 3G service with full bars. With the iPhone 4 I am getting between 3-5MB Down and 1-1.5 Up. That is HUGE!! Also my wife still has her 3G iPhone (waiting for white) can not wait to upgrade. Hers is a snail compared to mine!! You will not be disappointed. Especially coming from a 3G!!

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Much depends on how you hold the phone.

You might want to wait on the retractable antenna model, the iPhone 4ra

:eek:

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
very huge jump.... i just jumped from the 3g after even doing the 4.0 update...with the 4.0 it slowed it down real bad...

the IP4 is amazing...

dont foget:
adjustable font size now in messages
speakerphone is louder
ringtone volume is louder
camera is great ! plus video (3g not! )
over all size of the phone is much better

so glad i did not jump to the 3gs last year...this upgrade is well worth it.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
I upgraded from a 2G that has the same internal guts as a 3G (minus the 3G radio).

WAY FASTER. That's the first thing you notice. No waiting 8 seconds for the text app to open. Everything is instant besides the big apps. Then the screen. Then the battery. To me, the extra camera upgrades and Facetime are just gravy. Coupled with iOS 4, there is a quicker, smoother experience in the iPhone 4 that is better than even my wife's 3GS.

I'd keep your order open. It's best not to buy into the negative hype that tends to get way out of hand. Especially here.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Your 3G will survive multiple falls while the 4 can't even survive one. You decide.

I'm guessing you know this from experience rather than the two unconfirmed rumors floating around the internet. Otherwise, I'm sure you wouldn't have posted this as if it is a fact, right? Right?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
WAY FASTER. That's the first thing you notice. No waiting 8 seconds for the text app to open.

LOL. My stupid notes app used to take longer than almost any app on my 3G. I think it was parsing it for numbers and links everytime, but it was ridiculous.

Anyway, the iPhone 4 is so much faster than the 3G that it is almost disconcerting. I touch the icon and the app opens so fast it shocks me sometimes.

Combine that with the games and apps that can pause for multi-task switching, and everything is just so seamless.

I also can't believe how fast the maps app loads and finds my location. It wouldn't even have loaded yet on the 3G in the same time it takes the 4 to open up and find my location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.