Is the iPhone 4S for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Oct 5, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I don't want to add another thread to the boatload of threads there are already, but I really have to ask for your opinions, because I'm at a dead end right now regarding whether I should buy an iPhone 4S.

Let me start off by explaining my situation.

I have a 27" iMac that my whole family uses, an iPad 1 that my whole family uses, an iPod Shuffle, and a very basic Samsung digital camera.

My current phone is a very basic Samsung flip phone that looks very cheap, and feels very basic. In other words, it's not a phone that I'm proud of or that I would want to show somebody (not that this matters, I just wanted to say it).

I have been "eyeing" the iPhone 4 for a long time (since a little after its release in 2010). If I ever do get a smartphone, it will be an iPhone.

As far as my budget, it's not a big one, but I *can* afford the monthly plan that the iPhone brings, although it would make somewhat of a dent (nothing I can't handle though).

I keep imagining myself traveling with it, and thinking how convenient it would be to have it. To have everything on that one phone - a camera, internet, etc. I love the thought of being able to pull it out anywhere and check my emails whenever I want. This is not something my current phone can do, and the iPad is not comparable.

What is your opinion? Do you think I should buy it based on my situation? Would it be worth it for me?

I know this is something only I can "truly" answer, but I would really appreciate your opinions. The monthly plans are expensive, but the convenience is a life-changer. Taking a separate digital camera, iPod Shuffle, and flip phone is not the same.

Again, I'm not trying to validate or justify this potential purchase, I just want your honest opinions, because I myself am hitting a dead end regarding whether I should purchase or not.

I really want it!

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yes its worth it. Now is a good time, you will get plenty use out of it.

It is worth the extra sacrifice because you literally have all the worlds information at your fingertips. It totally makes all boredom problems go away.

There is no better choice and it is well worth it to have these tools if you can afford them.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm pretty surprised to see you (OP) posting a thread like this.

It's your money. Based on what you wrote, I think you'll enjoy the phone. But, it's your money.

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree! But there's always that mood of buyer's remorse that hits me. :rolleyes:

5. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

i feel u OP. i'm kinda in the same situation. trying to figure out my $ situation now >.>

:eek::apple:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you can handle a higher price on your phone bill, I'd say that it's completely worth it! I'm not sure what carrier/plan you have (t-mobile?), but let's say you are on AT&T - your phone bill would only be $15 or $25 higher than what it is now. I personally think that it's worth the slightly higher monthly bill for an iPhone.

After I had my iPhone (i had an iPod Touch before), I never realized how much more functional the device is when you have a constant source of internet.

7. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly what I was thinking. It sounds like a go! I will probably wait until after the frenzy. Maybe a month or two from now. I plan to buy at a store. So I'll see where things are at at that point.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The iPhones are great. I waited until the 3gs came out until I got mine - but I certainly haven't been disappointed. It's been very useful - and the 4s is even better. You should definitely be able to replace your camera and iPod with it.

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

No it's not worth it. But you indicated that you want one - so why bother asking us? Just go ahead and waste your money on one.

10. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks everyone for the responses. Especially you, baypharm. I said to be honest, but not downright rude!

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'll probably end up waiting a month or so too, but there's a very small chance I may preorder it on Friday.

12. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

If I knew I was going to order it online, I would definitely preorder on Friday. It's just that I want to buy it at a store. I also want to take a few more months to think about it.

13. DLehman macrumors newbie

There shouldn't be much more to think about it's a sup'd iPhone 4, the same phone you've been thinking about since last summer..
    If you're intent on getting an iPhone 4S put the amount of $$ on a Apple Gift card and make a preorder this Friday @ 12:01am PST
    this is what i've done as I'm still rocking an iPhone 2g:D

14. adztaylor macrumors 68000

If you can afford it then go for it, trust me when you won't regret it. When you get a smartphone for the first time you do regret it and think of it as an unneeded luxury but when you use it you'll wonder how you ever lived without one. All that information on the go.

Obviously no one really needs one, but it just becomes so useful in everyday life.

15. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, it's more of a "want" than a "need".

Also, DLehman, why do you say to put it on a gift card? :confused:

16. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

One underrated part of is that the iPhone 5, combined with the new volume button shutter feature and iCloud photostream, would make a very competent point&shoot camera if the new camera is really that good. It'll be a pretty good choice if you're looking for an all-in-one solution.

17. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

it would be a great phone for you, you sound like you could really use it and appreciate it (unlike some people in this forum)

Just Take a few days to thinking about it and your money

18. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just wonder why smartphone plans are so expensive! I mean home phone, internet, and television cable service is just a little more expensive than some smartphone plans! Does it cost more for the wireless carriers to implement the technology? Or are they just raping us?

19. adztaylor macrumors 68000

In the US they most certainly are! Here in the UK and Europe however prices are far more reasonable.

20. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess it's one of those price-gouging situations where they know everyone wants it and will pay for it. So they charge an arm and a leg.

It's like buying a $10 bottle of water at a theme park.

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Despite my outspoken evaluation of yesterdays event and the vague direction Apple seems to be headed in, I would say in your case buying the 4S would be a very good decision.

I read your post carefully and I think you are the perfect buyer for this phone.

It will serve the needs you have and more. It will be reliable and very enjoyable.

You will be delighted to join the ranks of smartphone owners and find that the 4S suits you very well.

I'm very certain that you will be thrilled with an iPhone 4S.

That's my take on it.

Enjoy :)

22. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

There is one thing I can tell you for sure - there is 100% no way you'll feel buyer's remorse after getting an iPhone 4S.

23. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

All I can say is buy it, it will blow you away. Guaranteed.

Mike

24. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

The question is not having an easy answer only to existing iPhone 4 users. If you still don't have a smartphone, or only the pre-iPhone 4 model, the answer is definitely a yes.

25. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Because when you preorder, it will save a lot of time to just enter the gift card number rather than all that credit card info.