Is the iPhone 6+ the iPad 3?

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I did own the ipad 3, LOL... I really want to buy the 6+, but do you think its "lag" will be resolved with software updates? Im just scared to buy it because of ppl saying it lags. Im really particular with my phones speed, i hate waiting for anythingggg.

Should i forget the 6+ and get the 6 for a smoother experience? Or do you think the 6+ will get ironed out. Any help appreciated guys, thank you.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I did own the ipad 3, LOL... I really want to buy the 6+, but do you think its "lag" will be resolved with software updates? Im just scared to buy it because of ppl saying it lags. Im really particular with my phones speed, i hate waiting for anythingggg.

Should i forget the 6+ and get the 6 for a smoother experience? Or do you think the 6+ will get ironed out. Any help appreciated guys, thank you.
I'm sure software updates will fix it. if not shame on apple

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Lag-gate, screen-gate, scratch-gate, bend-gate, app-gate I've never heard of so many complaints…

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Safari tab crashes when I try to zoom in on the A8X chip on the MacRumors front page with 6 Plus. This thing needs more RAM.

By the way, I read on these forums that Apple replaced iPad 3 with iPad 4 for some customers. They know how bad it was. I doubt they have replacement iPad 3s, but they did have a replacement for my iPad 1 at the store after 2 years.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
The ipad 3 was only borderline powerful enough to power the retina display. The 6 plus is more powerful than the latest retina iPads and pushing many less pixels. So shouldn't be a problem unless there is something really funky about the way they are down sampling to fit this slightly different screen res.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I guess I just am not that particular. I have no issues with lag, other than Facebook app and that has always sucked.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No. The iPad 3 was under powered, devs had to dumb down the graphics in games so they would run smooth.

With the iPhone 6+ devs are adding graphics and special effects and they run very fluid.

Lag experienced in iOS 8 something no amount of power could fix. With iOS 8.1 and subsequent updates you'll see the fluidity return.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Thank you all for your opinions and time. I Really appreciate it. This really makes my decision easier!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I have an iPad 3, abd a 4s which I just upgraded to a regular iPhone 6 (not plus). With the way people talk, you'd expect the 3 to be borderline unusable. Personally I think it's the opposite.

The performance differential between all 3 devices is really nothing more than what you'd expect for the generational differences between devices. Ie 4s and iPad 3 are A5 and run more or less the same despite the iPad driving way more pixels. The 6 is more smooth, but really the main spot this is apparent is keyboard responsiveness.

Granted I'm not tempting fate and upgrading to ios8 in the iPad, it's not nearly the hot mess its reputation would have you believe. Ironically I was downloading a couple games to try out the 6's horsepower and they auto downloaded to the iPad, and I'll be damned if they don't run just fine on there too.

All this to say, the 6+ will likely be juuust fine. It'd be nice if they optimize ios9 to run 1080 native though.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
The lag and freezing issues are infrequent but do occur intermittently (perhaps 2x/week?) on both my iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air. I'm 100% certain this is a function of iOS 8 rather than a hardware issue as the iPad Air was lag free and perfect before. Now it functions just like the iPhone 6 plus - lag free most of the time with intermittent issues that requires a reboot 2x/week to fix. The one common factor btw the 2 devices is the lag started when I upgraded to IOS 8 (currently on 8.02 for both devices)

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Not nearly as bad as the iPad 3. I don't even think it's as bad as the iPad Air.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
The ipad 3 was only borderline powerful enough to power the retina display. The 6 plus is more powerful than the latest retina iPads and pushing many less pixels. So shouldn't be a problem unless there is something really funky about the way they are down sampling to fit this slightly different screen res.
I agree. The iPad Air uses a slower chip and has a higher resolution, and there's generally no iPad Air lag either. So I think any slowness with the iPhone 6+ is an iOS 8 issue.

I have a 6+ and notice a few dropped frames here and there. Doesn't seem consistent anywhere so I can only presume it's a software problem.

Now, while I can't say it's repairable - could be a design flaw in iOS 8 for all I know. But I'm pretty confident that the hardware is capable of 100% smooth operation like iOS 6/7 was.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Safari tab crashes when I try to zoom in on the A8X chip on the MacRumors front page with 6 Plus. This thing needs more RAM.
Works fine for me. It even let me add a new tab, zoom into the A8X Chip, take a screenshot, go back to this tab, and attach the image in my reply (which opens up yet another tab to manage attachments). All with 1GB of RAM.

Attachments

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
As many have said, it clearly is much more powerful than the iPad 3. However, like the iPad 3 in its day, it's criminally underpowered despite the initial amazement of the device.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
So you're telling me that the iphone 6 or 6+ does not lag when you rotate the phone with the keyboard popped up?

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I'm sure software updates will fix it. if not shame on apple
7.0, 7.0.1, 7.1, 8.0, 8.0.2, 8.1... The software update brigade will soon run out of numbers. I think with the pattern since iOS 7, Apple will do what minimum it needs to ship an iOS out in an as-is working condition. The days of Apple meticulously spending time to "optimize" the OS are done. Heck these days we would be lucky if an update does not brick my device!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.