Is the iPhone 6+ the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YouGoGlenCocoa, Oct 12, 2014.

1. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

I did own the ipad 3, LOL... I really want to buy the 6+, but do you think its "lag" will be resolved with software updates? Im just scared to buy it because of ppl saying it lags. Im really particular with my phones speed, i hate waiting for anythingggg.

Should i forget the 6+ and get the 6 for a smoother experience? Or do you think the 6+ will get ironed out. Any help appreciated guys, thank you.

2. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

I'm sure software updates will fix it. if not shame on apple

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Lag-gate, screen-gate, scratch-gate, bend-gate, app-gate I've never heard of so many complaints…

4. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

Safari tab crashes when I try to zoom in on the A8X chip on the MacRumors front page with 6 Plus. This thing needs more RAM.

By the way, I read on these forums that Apple replaced iPad 3 with iPad 4 for some customers. They know how bad it was. I doubt they have replacement iPad 3s, but they did have a replacement for my iPad 1 at the store after 2 years.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I don't think there's any correlation between the two.

6. oneofthenine macrumors regular

The ipad 3 was only borderline powerful enough to power the retina display. The 6 plus is more powerful than the latest retina iPads and pushing many less pixels. So shouldn't be a problem unless there is something really funky about the way they are down sampling to fit this slightly different screen res.

7. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

^ This. I think iOS 8.1 with fix a few problems with the 6 and 6+.

8. VFC macrumors 6502a

You forgot hair-gate

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I guess I just am not that particular. I have no issues with lag, other than Facebook app and that has always sucked.

10. cynics macrumors G3

No. The iPad 3 was under powered, devs had to dumb down the graphics in games so they would run smooth.

With the iPhone 6+ devs are adding graphics and special effects and they run very fluid.

Lag experienced in iOS 8 something no amount of power could fix. With iOS 8.1 and subsequent updates you'll see the fluidity return.

11. YouGoGlenCocoa thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your opinions and time. I Really appreciate it. This really makes my decision easier!

12. legioxi macrumors 6502a

If there is lag, I haven't noticed it. Running 8.1 though.

13. stevemiller macrumors 65832

I have an iPad 3, abd a 4s which I just upgraded to a regular iPhone 6 (not plus). With the way people talk, you'd expect the 3 to be borderline unusable. Personally I think it's the opposite.

The performance differential between all 3 devices is really nothing more than what you'd expect for the generational differences between devices. Ie 4s and iPad 3 are A5 and run more or less the same despite the iPad driving way more pixels. The 6 is more smooth, but really the main spot this is apparent is keyboard responsiveness.

Granted I'm not tempting fate and upgrading to ios8 in the iPad, it's not nearly the hot mess its reputation would have you believe. Ironically I was downloading a couple games to try out the 6's horsepower and they auto downloaded to the iPad, and I'll be damned if they don't run just fine on there too.

All this to say, the 6+ will likely be juuust fine. It'd be nice if they optimize ios9 to run 1080 native though.

14. AlterZgo macrumors member

The lag and freezing issues are infrequent but do occur intermittently (perhaps 2x/week?) on both my iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air. I'm 100% certain this is a function of iOS 8 rather than a hardware issue as the iPad Air was lag free and perfect before. Now it functions just like the iPhone 6 plus - lag free most of the time with intermittent issues that requires a reboot 2x/week to fix. The one common factor btw the 2 devices is the lag started when I upgraded to IOS 8 (currently on 8.02 for both devices)

15. mobutt macrumors 6502

Not nearly as bad as the iPad 3. I don't even think it's as bad as the iPad Air.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I agree. The iPad Air uses a slower chip and has a higher resolution, and there's generally no iPad Air lag either. So I think any slowness with the iPhone 6+ is an iOS 8 issue.

I have a 6+ and notice a few dropped frames here and there. Doesn't seem consistent anywhere so I can only presume it's a software problem.

Now, while I can't say it's repairable - could be a design flaw in iOS 8 for all I know. But I'm pretty confident that the hardware is capable of 100% smooth operation like iOS 6/7 was.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Works fine for me. It even let me add a new tab, zoom into the A8X Chip, take a screenshot, go back to this tab, and attach the image in my reply (which opens up yet another tab to manage attachments). All with 1GB of RAM.

Attached Files:

18. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

As many have said, it clearly is much more powerful than the iPad 3. However, like the iPad 3 in its day, it's criminally underpowered despite the initial amazement of the device.

19. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I never had a single issue with my iPad 3. Worked as well as my current air does

20. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Same here, and I have a 5s. No reloading or crashing.

Attached Files:

21. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

So you're telling me that the iphone 6 or 6+ does not lag when you rotate the phone with the keyboard popped up?

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

7.0, 7.0.1, 7.1, 8.0, 8.0.2, 8.1... The software update brigade will soon run out of numbers. I think with the pattern since iOS 7, Apple will do what minimum it needs to ship an iOS out in an as-is working condition. The days of Apple meticulously spending time to "optimize" the OS are done. Heck these days we would be lucky if an update does not brick my device!

23. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I actually loved my ipad3. Gave it to my dad when the air came out and he still uses it and loves it.