Is the iPhone mostly a toy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Feb 21, 2012.

1. motoleo, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

What is the percentage of apps you actually have on your device, are they games?

Just look at the top App Store- all games.

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

60%

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Most of the apps on my phone are games, but i rarely play any of them.

4. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Not for me. While games is my single largest category, I have more non games than non games. Most of which are social networking or productivity.
    As for usage, I use my social networking, news, and productivity apps much more often than games.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Depends on your usage. For me, my smartphone is dedicated more toward social connectivity (this includes social networks, phone, sms, email, etc) and toward accessing quick information (espn score centre, weather, Bing/Google, etc). I keep very few games on my phone and these games are puzzle type games to help me pass the time while waiting in line somewhere. However I have friends that use their smartphones (both iPhones and Androids) primarily for playing mobile games. That's their preference about how they use their phone. I tend to reserve play for my iPad, but that's just me.

7. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I have no games at all.
    I pretty much have useful apps for me at least like banking, weather, photo bucket, ebay.
    I do surf the web a lot on it also.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Almost everything in life is a plaything, so yes, my iPhone is a toy.

9. z28black98 macrumors regular

I work as a manager at a car rental company here in Tulsa. I constantly use my phone to check radar maps, arriving flights, work email, work text messages, etc etc. I use notes to "jot" things down for use later. I would say the percentage I use it as a toy for fun is probably 10-15%. I play words with friends and word scramble. I also use FB somewhat. Other than those 2 things, its all work.

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

All I have are the radio apps, news, weather, dropbox, school apps, and like 3 games I never play. I would say 90% of my apps are NOT games.

11. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

"Looks At Phone"

One game that rarely gets played.

Use phone for emails...text...calls....banking....

I should really get a Blackberry:rolleyes:

12. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

In my opinion, the iPhone does exceedingly well in the corporate world. I wouldn't say it was a toy. But it can be fun if you so choose.

But it is inherently very business like. It's an excellent PDA. It probably the most productive thing money can buy.

13. stevemiller macrumors 65832

i use it as a widescreen iPod, mobile phone, internet communicator. often while saying those three things over and over at an increasingly rapid pace.

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You could try looking in a section other than "games." Most of the top 25 are usually games, same as the Android market. If you just glance at the top 25 without ever looking in utilities or productivity, you might get that idea.

I use mine daily for emailing clients, invoicing, bidding projects (spreadsheet apps are great) navigation, checking competitor pricing, pricing parts, photo scanning documents (like receipts) and this forum.

Not sure what you were expecting your smartphone to do, but I'm not aware of any that do laundry, vacuum, or drive your car to work for you.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It can be what you want it to be. If you want to use it to play mostly games, then sure it's going to be a toy. And what's wrong with that?

If you want it to be a mobile media device, you can load it up with music, videos and e-books. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Or you can use it for all serious business, if that's what you need it for.

Me, I make it a combination of all three. I have some games, some productivity, some social media, some music and videos and books.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

17. cynics macrumors G3

I only have one game, Words with Friends that I play every other day or so. I mostly use it during the day for email, text and voice for work. Outside of work I use it for social networking, facebook, text, instagram, etc...

To be honest I don't really care to game on it due to screen size and touch screen controls.

Android market is set up a little different. There is no all featured app in which case it would probably look like the app store with 20 games being top featured apps. At least in that tablet version of the Android market you need to go to games then it will show you the featured games...

18. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Oh, goody- there happens to be one productivity app in the top 5 today, coming in at number 3 too. 3 total in the top 10. Lucky day! :)

Attached Files:

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't really play games, use it mostly for *gasp* a phone :eek:

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Oh aggie... :rolleyes::p

21. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Pardon me for being awkward, don't get angry at me, but, just because games can be played on the iphone, does not make it a toy.

Definition of Toy:
    1. An object for children to play with.
    2. Something of little importance; a trifle.
    3. An amusement; a pastime

In my opinion, I do not see an iphone an any of those definitions.

22. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Not soo many games; of course there are.
    Angry Birds, Cover Orange, NFS, CtR, Tetris, ZenBound, but that's pretty much.

Most used apps are Safari, Mail, Calendar, Earthquake warning, Kotoba (Japanese translator)

It's really a working device ... And helps me to get rid of lots emails while commuting.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually #3 seems to fit the use of the iPhone for a number of people. I know a few who have the iPhone for the amusement which games provide.

24. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    It really irks me when I hear (mostly BB fans) that the iPhone is a toy. The thing about what Apple has created with the iPhone is that it can be just about whatever you need or want it to be.

I will occasionally have one single game on mine, but I get bored with games. It's not that I use other apps for productivity either, but rather find myself using email, safari, maps, weather, banking app, several travel apps - all those things that help me be more productive with work.

If you want the iPhone to be a social media connection point, you can do that, or you can load it up with hundreds of games, music, videos, picture apps. It's definitely not a toy (unless you want it to be) and is leaps and bounds more productive as a business phone than any BB phone out there.

25. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Are any of you willing to tell me, that if you deleted all the games off of your iPhone today- that you would still be able to use it?