iPhone XR Is the iPhone XR a good upgrade from the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CT30, Oct 29, 2018.

1. CT30 macrumors newbie

I posted in another thread that I have an iPhone 6 currently and am looking to upgrade. At the time I was looking at the XS, but now I'm thinking about the XR.

Do you think the XR would be a good upgrade from the 6 I currently have?

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I would think any newer iPhone would be a good upgrade from the iPhone 6. The Xr would be a considerable upgrade in every respect as long as you’re ok with a larger phone. If you’d like a phone that’s similar in size and don’t want to pay $1000, I’d recommend a used X to save some cash..

3. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

4. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

I went from a 6s to an 8 and that felt like a good upgrade. I went from an 8 to an Xr and it’s absolutely an upgrade worth paying for.

You will see a massive difference going from the 6 to the Xr.

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

6 to XR, A8 to A12 and camera / screen improvements/battery and speaker improvements, will be a quantum leap.[

though I loved my 6+ I maintain it was very close to a repackaged 5s

6. antwon412 macrumors member

I went from a 6 plus to an Xr.

It’s faster for sure. Bigger screen is great. The camera is insanely good compared to my 6 plus.
    Over all I do like it a lot.

However. My biggest......peeve? Is that basically it’s the same experience as my 6 plus. Nothing really has changed with how I use the phone really. I remember seeing the original X and thinking the same.

But my wife bought it for me as a gift. My plus earpiece speaker was going out. Could’ve fixed it. But I wanted a new phone.

Honestly the 6 plus was still working pretty good. The 1 gb of ram was a bit of a hold up. I think I would’ve felt better about the upgrade if it was more of a necessity. Such as a shattered screen or something.

But. I do like it and appreciate the wonderful gift from my wife.

7. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Hey you can’t say it’s a wonderful gift from my wife but i wish she didn’t get it.. haha Just say thanks and don’t tell her any of this..o_O:D

8. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Good marital advice.

9. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Not knocking any of it, holding out on upgrades is behavior worth applauding for the wallet and your soul. And respect you respecting gifts!

But how are you a member since 2010 with a 6plus? Is it agonizing being a member on Mac rumors with gadget lust left and right and reading about all the models between now and then? 6s/7/8/x/xs

10. antwon412 macrumors member

My gadget lust may be high - but the money is low!

I was close to buying an X last year. But I didn’t like the screen size. Felt smaller then my plus since it was considerably narrower to me. So I passed.

Stuff now is just so good that it lasts so long and continues to works great. As I’ve gotten older I’ve moved past needing the latest and greatest. I went from an original iPad to a...3? Then an air. Now a 10.5. I’ll have it for a looong time.

I’d rather spend money on home projects. Or taking my kids on vacations. Priorities just change a bit.

She offered to get me a Max. But I couldn’t justify an extra $450 for a slightly bigger screen. My vision isn’t good enough to even notice a diff on screens between an Xr and a Max. And the Xr is a huge upgrade.

I’m happy with it.

11. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I'm with you on the priorities. Were you able to compare a Xr and a Max?

I upgraded from a 6s to the XR and would love sharper text, but I'm not sure I would tell that much difference against the XS or Max, and I can't wrap my head around spending $1000-plus on a smartphone. I did compare my 6s to a XS at Costco a couple of weeks ago and didn't see a noticeable difference at a reading distance.

To the OP, no doubt that the XR will be a nice upgrade from a 6. It's not bad from a 6s, but most seem to think that the 6s was a nice upgrade over the 6, so I think you would be happy with the XR.

12. antwon412 macrumors member

I couldn’t compare side by side in store. But I walked back and forth several times. Couldn’t tell a difference. My neighbor has an X. At dinner Saturday night I compared close
    Up and still couldn’t tell any real difference.

Again - YMMV. My eyesight isn’t perfect.

His wife got a Red Xr after seeing mine instead of an Xs.

13. stafil macrumors 6502

You serious? It's a ****ing amazing phone. You will love the upgrade.

14. ssledoux macrumors 68000

ssledoux

Hell I like the upgrade from my 8+. It should be amazing coming from a 6!

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The XR really is slated to be a demographic for those who are coming from an iPhone 6/6//7, because it still offers you some of the core features that the XS does, but without the price tag with a $250.00 savings, including Face ID, the new form factor, upgraded camera capabilities, water resistance, True Tone, wireless charging are all significant features over your 6.

So the question is posed from you, ‘Do we think the XR would be a good upgrade from your 6’? Given the upgrades that XR offers, do you think _you_ would appreciate the XR?

16. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

Obviously specs wise it’s an improvement but I would go and handle one in store to compare.

Xr is a lot bigger and heavier than a 6 so that’s a consideration.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The XR weighs in at 6.84 ounces and the iPhone 6 weighs at 4.55 ounces, Thats Only a difference of 2.29 ounces, I would say the sizes is More considerable than the actual weight.

18. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

Upgraded from my 6 to the XR last week and love it! The display is much better and tack sharp even with the same ppi than the 6.

The X, XS and XS Max are a kind of luxery sideline in my eyes, the XR is the real successor to the mainstream iPhones. Two absolute basic features beside the price (battery life and reception) are better than with the XS and XS Max which is much more important than an OLED display...

19. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

I would say that’s quite a difference especially for prolonged one handed use.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Two things:

1.) Is the weight really that detrimental from stopping from somebody upgrading to a new iPhone? Likely not. Thats the nature of newer aged iPhones with Glass construction.

2.) Most resort using two handed for larger phones as it is today, even if it can be manipulated one handed.

21. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

Of course the weight detrimental. You have to comfortable with something you use everyday, all day.

You should be able to use a mobile phone with one hand if you wish. It’s a phone, not an iPad.

22. pika2000 macrumors 603

The XR will be a huge jump from the 6, but it is larger physically as well.

If you're looking for a more affordable yet still similar size phone, the iPhone 8 or remaining X stock would be the choice. The XR is really positioned to replace the 8 Plus.

Imo a 64GB iPhone 8 would be an awesome upgrade for the 6. It brings all the great advancement (faster Touch ID, double the RAM, a ton faster SoC, wireless charging, etc etc) while keeping the familiar form factor.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But is _that_really relevant to the OP in the sense that they’re considering the XR or another iPhone model? I don’t think it is (Nor is that a stipulation in their original post) . At one point or another, any of the newer iPhones as I already mentioned, have a much higher weight over an iPhone 6, which uses an aluminum chassis versus glass.

No one says you can’t. But anyone using larger iPhone resorts to two hands, that’s common knowledge. One handed use is more temporary, but for typing or any other form of usage, usually resorts two hands, one one hand would be for simple navigation.

In terms of the XR/XS, it doesn’t change the fact that you can use the phone one or two handed.

24. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

That is true in principle but the iPhone 7 of my wife weights more than my XR because she uses a leather case with a flap and I am using my XR with an aluminium bumper. Another aspect might be that I am using the iPhones today mainly with AirPods as a telephone. In this case the weight doesn't matter...

25. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Thanks. My eyesight isn’t perfect either. The one thing almost in the back of my mind considering is the readability of the X/XS compared with the XR. Will the crispness of the text make a X or XS easier to read than XR? (I do use display zoom on the XR which gives me X/XS-displayed content with moderately larger text.)

Another thing to keep in mind with the discussion about size/weight is that, if you use any kind of case with a modicum of protection (mine is in a Spigen Neo-Hybrid), the phone is going to “grow.” It won’t be quite as large as a Plus with case, but it gets close.