Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sherif Iskander

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Does it report you the SIM LOCK status (True/False)?

----------

If you have the IMEI number, you can check against this site as well.

http://iphoneimei.info/

Using that service says SIM LOCK : Unknown

Now adding in what I think happens with those devices and trying to understand the report I got from SNDeep.

I believe all T-Mobile phones at Apple are the same devices whether tied to a plan or not. If you buy full price, the bit about "next tether policy" kicks in upon connection to Apple and unlocks. That's why iphoneimei picked it up as unknown. If you associate it to a T-Mobile plan, the "next tether policy" would be to "lock the phone"

just my 2c

./sherif

My two cents

fusedwire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
From a Chinese Forum:

D: 79 Activation Policy Description: Hong Kong and Macau Apple Channel Default activation policy
ID: 306 activation policy description: Hong Kong CSL (Hong Kong CSL contract machine),
ID: 260 activation policy description: Hong Kong Smar Tone (Hong Kong SmarTone contract machine)
ID: 235 activation policy description: Retail Unlock (Hong Kong outlets activation policy)
ID: 251 activation policy description: China Unicom (China Unicom contract machine, native 4G)
ID: 2181 Description activation policy: China Unicom N53 / N49 Unlock Policy (China Unicom no contract)
ID: 2181 Description activation policy: China Unicom N53 Unlock Policy (China Unicom no contract)
ID: 2182 Description activation policy: China Telecom N51 / N48 Locked Policy (China Telecom)
ID: 10 Activation Policy Description: Unlock
ID: 2179 Description activation policy: China Unlocked Policy-N49 / N53-2013 (BNM A1530 activation policy)
ID: 2179 Description activation policy: China Open Distribution N53 / N49 Unlocked Policy (New State Bank A1530 activation policy)
ID: 23 Activation Policy Description: US AT & T Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands Activation Policy
ID: 411 activation policy description: China Telecom Locked (China Telecom machine)
ID: 51 Activation Policy Description: US GSM Country Default Policy
ID: 252 activation policy description: China Apple Channel Default activation policy
ID: 2079 Description activation policy: Japan KDDI N42 / N48 / N51 Activation Policy (Japanese version AU lock machine)
ID: 2096 Description activation policy: France N42 Apple Channel FlexActivation Policy
ID: 2090 Description activation policy: France Orange N42
ID: 2018 Description activation policy: US Sprint Multi-Mode Commercial
ID: 219 activation policy description: HK Reseller
ID: 58 Activation Policy Description: APAC Service
ID: 2009 Description activation policy: US Verizon Multi-Mode commercial, UMTS VF NLlocked (Verizon contract machine)
ID: 2023 Description activation policy: US Verizon LTE MM N51 / N48 / N42Activation Policy (V version of the three networks activation policy)
ID: 2098 Description activation policy: US CDMA Service Picker-N42-2012
ID: 2087 Description activation policy: US Verizon LTE MM N51 / N48 / N42 Service Policy
ID: 2082 Description activation policy: US Sprint N42 Locked Activation Policy (Sprint version has a lock machine)
ID: 2082 Description activation policy: US Sprint N42 Unlocked Activation Policy
ID: 2230 Description activation policy: Apple Channel Multi-Mode Unlock Policy (Japanese version A1453 three networks and no lock activation policy)
ID: 2013 Description activation policy: US Verizon LTE MM Except US CDMA N51 / N48 / N42Activation Policy (V edition G network activation limit U.S. CDMA outside mirror function)
ID: 2192 Description activation policy: Macau China Telecom Unlocked Policy (Macau edition three networks activation policy, the temporary closure of FDD-LTE)
ID: 2049 Description activation policy: US Cricket Communications Activation Policy (USA Cricket operators activation policy, the United States no lock activation, foreign activate a lock)

ID: 302 activation policy description: UK TMobile Orange
ID :: 2186 activation policy Description: Japan NTT DOCOMO Activation Policy (Japanese version DOCOMO lock)

Only thing similar is ID 2230, which says no lock activation policy

fusedwire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Matching the 2230 ID:

serialNumber : F17MD1BKFFFJ
partDescription : IPHONE 5S SPACE GRAY 32GB-JPN
imeiNumber : 358806058218668
initialActivationPolicyDetails : Apple Channel Multi-Mode Unlock Policy
initialActivationPolicyID : 2230
warrantyStatus : Apple Limited Warranty
coverageStartDate : 04/05/14
coverageEndDate : 04/04/15
PurchaseDate : 03/18/14
purchaseCountry : Japan
registrationDate : 04/05/14
productDescription: iPhone 5S
nextTetherPolicyID: 2230
nextTetherPolicyDetails:Apple Channel Multi-Mode Unlock Policy
appliedActivationPolicyID:2230
appliedActivationDetails:Apple Channel Multi-Mode Unlock Policy
unbricked : true
firstUnbrickDate : 04/05/14
lastUnbrickDate : 04/05/14
meid : 35880605821866
iccID : 8981200012661055604
productVersion : 7.1.2
Simlock:Unlocked

fusedwire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Sherif checked the IMEI status of the iPhone 6 T-Mobile Unlocked that he purchased directly from Apple, and it shows that the activation policy used is "Multi Mode Unlocked".

There are several policies that I've pasted in my previous post, most of which point to their respective carrier activation lock policies..

The last post of mine shows detailed info of the matching ID of the "Multi Mode Unlock" which was purchased from Apple of a iPhone 5S, and the SIMLOCK is set to FALSE.

Which means, the phone is unlocked.

DemonMF777

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
S. Florida
My iPhone 5s I Pre-Ordered last year was a T-Mobile & was definitely unlocked, cause I've been using it with my att Sim for the past year. It's pretty safe to assume the T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus I pre-ordered this year will be the same.

Alshujibi

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
New Castle, DE
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Sherif checked the IMEI status of the iPhone 6 T-Mobile Unlocked that he purchased directly from Apple, and it shows that the activation policy used is "Multi Mode Unlocked".

There are several policies that I've pasted in my previous post, most of which point to their respective carrier activation lock policies..

The last post of mine shows detailed info of the matching ID of the "Multi Mode Unlock" which was purchased from Apple of a iPhone 5S, and the SIMLOCK is set to FALSE.

Thank you for the explanation :)

rodgui

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012

Thks for you explanation.

So, do you recommend turn on iPhone with local carrier simcard (in my case Claro Brazil), right?

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
My 5s last year was also a t-mobile device that came with a t-mobile sim and it works fine on AT&T.

Slybit

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I've got a noob question regarding unlocked phones:

Does the unlocked iPhone 6 come unlocked or do I have to restore it on iTunes?

Many thanks!

Based on everything in this thread, there's no need to restore. It'll be unlocked outta the box.

I can't wait until UPS comes tomorrow to we can put this thread to rest. :)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Last year you could just put the SIM you wanted to use in the phone and turn it on and go through the activation process. No special restore required.

rodgui

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Based on everything in this thread, there's no need to restore. It'll be unlocked outta the box.

I can't wait until UPS comes tomorrow to we can put this thread to rest. :)

LOL

Agree with you!

Put this thread to rest and drink too many beers to celebrate.

Do you imagine how many people in same discussion and spread around the world?

If each one of us donate 1 U$ to make a party probably we will have a biggest party of year.

I'm Brazilian and you guys?

Sorry by my limited English.

Applefiend87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I am completely lost haha...

I am a T-Mobile customer and will be lining up (Hopefully) getting a T-Mobile 6 plus for myself to use.

Lets say apple sells out of "T-Mobile" 6 plus'

You're saying I can pay full retail for an ATT or a VZW 6 plus and it'll be unlocked as well and I can use my T-Mobile sim card?

Sorry I'm just trying to see what options I have if I miss getting the TMobile phone i want

Raibyn

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
South Carolina
You're saying I can pay full retail for an ATT or a VZW 6 plus and it'll be unlocked as well and I can use my T-Mobile sim card?

Sorry I'm just trying to see what options I have if I miss getting the TMobile phone i want

This has been the case in the past, but ONLY if you get the phone from the Apple Store at full retail. At least for AT&T. The AT&T iPhone 5s I bought at full retail from the Apple store last year was unlocked. Verizon LTE phones are required to be SIM unlocked. However, a Verizon store will require you to sign up for month-to-month service I believe.

Applefiend87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
This has been the case in the past, but ONLY if you get the phone from the Apple Store at full retail. At least for AT&T. The AT&T iPhone 5s I bought at full retail from the Apple store last year was unlocked. Verizon LTE phones are required to be SIM unlocked. However, a Verizon store will require you to sign up for month-to-month service I believe.

Thank you. I am not traveling and dont need special specs or anything.
It will be used on TMobile US i just need either a TMobile iphone 6 plus 64GB or an AT&T 6 plus 64GB. I will pay full retail for TMobile's anyway so if i miss the tmobile brand I'll pay full retail for an AT&T version.

I will be at the Apple store and paying full retail BTW

andros17873

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
What I know till now

I have a Sprint account paying in a monthly basis (without a contract).
I asked 2 different Sprint stores if i buy a T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 6 from Apple store and insert a Sprint nano sim card if it will work. One Sprint store told me it cannot be done and the other Sprint store told me it may be done.
My conclusion is that it cannot be done. Period.

Went to Apple store today on 5th Ave and asked an employee, which of the 4 carriers will be unlocked to use any sim card from any carrier and work. He answered me... T-Mobile, ATT and Verizon will be unlock. NOT Sprint.

He continued by saying that the three carriers will be unlock but NOT factory unlock. When I asked what is the difference he told me that unlocked is with the carriers nano sim card in the box and factory unlock it doesn't have a carriers sim card in the box.

Finally I asked him if those three carriers will work outside of the box with any carrier located in Europe and his answer was yes.

My final thoughts is that given the answers I got and this 17 pages thread I read, T-Mobile and ATT will be unlock to use with each other. Even though the Apple store employee told me Verizon is also unlock, I have a small doubt with all the posts I read in this thread. And Sprint will not be unlocked.

Also I believe, T-Mobile and ATT will be able to use in Europe out of the box.

My best bet is the T-Mobile iPhone 6 from the Apple store to use in any carrier in the US (except Sprint and maybe Verizon) and to use it in my country in Europe.

krits

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
4nRJJmq.jpg

y2ksaurabh

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014

What does this actually mean? It says multi-mode unlock - yes and then it says network unlocked - no.

I am just waiting for someone to post a real result at by 8:30 or 9 when they have their hands on an actual iPhone 6/plus? I have ordered mine via Apple.com (t-mobile contract free) and thought it would be completely hassle free - I pop the TMO sim out put my Indian GSM sim in and start using it, and I am hoping that will be that simple.:confused::confused:

MSK5959

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Picking mine up at 9:00 AM tomorrow, and I'll pop my AT&T sim in, but I'm sure by that time I'll already have the answer.

nampmuj

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Anxious to see the results tomorrow.

I ordered a T-Mobile 6+ with the hope of using it with AT&T.

Anyone know if I need to activate it or connect it to iTunes before I go to the local AT&T store to ask for a nano SIM for my number?

The AT&T rep won't deny me a nano SIM because its a T-Mobile contract free iPhone and not a AT&T iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.