Is the thong dead?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
This is a sad day.

The end of an era is upon us. Or is it? The February issue of Cosmo declares, "The Thong is Dead!" and that the curve-accentuating boy shorts are the new "it" panties. But we need to investigate before we'll concur.

First, some thong history. While we recall thongs and g-strings gracing the pages of '90s Victoria's Secret catalogs, R&B artist Sisqo put the wedgie-inducing underthings on the map with "The Thong Song" in 2000. They really took off as the lowrise jean trend pressed onward (ew, peek-a-boo thong straps were so not cute), and in 2004 when the Wall Street Journal touted Hanky Panky lace thongs (pictured left) for being "as soft as butter," slews of imitations flooded the marketplace. If memory serves, boy shorts have increased in popularity for the past decade, even throughout the rise of the thong.

Sure, for many women thongs look and feel sexy and serve a functional purpose--no visible panty lines! But most of us who have worn a thong know that bikinis, briefs and boy are typically way more comfortable. And somehow less fussy. But are thongs gone for good?

Link

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think the thong will live on in many, I have a number of them myself but found myself wearing boyshorts more often than a thong, especially if I am going to be more active that day. Personally, I find the boyshort way cuter than a thong. Thongs for me are ruined by chicks that feel the need to show them off by wearing low-rise jeans and short shirts. Although now I see more chick crack than I really want to see so ....

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I think the thong will live on in many, I have a number of them myself but found myself wearing boyshorts more often than a thong, especially if I am going to be more active that day. Personally, I find the boyshort way cuter than a thong. Thongs for me are ruined by chicks that feel the need to show them off by wearing low-rise jeans and short shirts. Although now I see more chick crack than I really want to see so ....
Forgive me, but you just became very intriguing to me, Jessica. ;)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Have to agree with you all my female friends agree with you. Boyshorts as you call them are cute. Some just go without :s

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
well i dont consider that picture in the OP posts, a thong to begin with.

and yes the thong is dead from a beach perspective.

only people i see wearing thongs are older south american ladies and its not pleasant.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Thongs have been overworn and, in my opinion, have become synonymous with sleaze. A pair of boy shorts or french knickers are far more appealing whilst worn compared to a thong

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Boyshorts FTW. They're much more flattering. I've preferred the look of them for years, before they even began to get popular. Thongs, imo, are a bit too overtly sexy without any sweetness or coyness. While they're okay in certain *ahem* intimate settings, they come within easy sight of skank.

I say it's long overdue.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Okay so.... boyshorts in my opinion are the best things that happen to this world (well not really but you get me...) I girl with a nice butt, a nice pair of boyshorts and a white Tshirt (no bra)... damnnnnnn

I personally think thongs are over rated.. at times sorta skanky (only on the whores).. I understand sometimes with tight pants you need to wear a thong but i personally dont mind seeing lines.. so i vote boyshorts all the way!!!:D

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I sure hope not. It's great when the girls puts some on to make it dirty. :p

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
boyshorts...total wedgie. The leg part of the panties always end up in my ass...like thongs.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have had to look at too many showing from ultra low rise pants.

really not attractive at all . not matter how many beads, tassels and sequins add to them.
and WHITE thongs are a NO!

Boyshorts are great though. almost anyone can wear them.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Forgive me, but you just became very intriguing to me, Jessica. ;)
You should totally direct your intrigue elsewhere cuz intriguing I am not. Wrong tree you bark up my friend. ;)

Have to agree with you all my female friends agree with you. Boyshorts as you call them are cute. Some just go without :s
I find them to be real cute and like I said I've begun to prefer them over the thong. As a female I still ponder why a thong cost me as much as the boyshort. :(
Shhhhh...
Hey you left us ... :mad: