Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
I posted elsewhere but looking to upgrade from a Series 2 Nike Apple Watch to the Series 7. I've been looking at all the different options and decided I'll either buy a Midnight Apple Watch (arriving today) or the Titanium Space Black (on order for Dec shipping) watch.

I'm curious for those with the Titanium Series 7 - is it worth it? What makes it worth it to you vs. the aluminum, stainless steel, and Hermes editions? Does it look noticeably nicer than the aluminum versions? I can afford it but debating if it's worth it.

I usually use my Apple Watch for fitness and everyday wear (have a nice mechanical watch as well) so ruled out the stainless steel versions since I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to day to day abuse. After 5 years, there's definitely some chips on my Apple Watch body but the screen is still intact.

Thanks for any thoughts here!

Reactions: rMBP2013

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Lame answer I know but, “it depends.” I came from a space gray alu S3 and chose SBTi over graphite ss and starlight nike. I was ready for an upgrade and of the materials and colors offered for series 7, SBTi stood out as the most unique (it is after all their edition watch). Now the aluminum colors are very nice this year, plus it does everything the others do (other than resist scratches), and for less money…and it’s the lightest one. So Ti is not the best value from a monetary standpoint, and maybe not the most impressive at first glance (to me that honor goes to the gorgeous graphite ss). But the fact that it’s titanium, is an edition Watch, has the dlc coating, has a beautiful luster with that incredible satin finish…I love it and it’s worth it for me. Ymmv.

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
Thanks for the insight. Still torn - the open box midnight I ordered from Best Buy is very nice but has a noticeable light scratch on the screen so going to return it. For the paltry savings, it's not worth the damage out of box. I'm passing by an apple store on friday so going to take a look in store and then make a decision then.

Morrissey

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
Yeah it depends, the Titanium version doesn´t have the Nike watchfaces. I bought the SS4 and SS6, because the glossy finish and the screen is almost indestructible, all my past watches the screen had a couple of scratches, no matter how careful I was... ( I swim everyday and regular use)

Right now my SS6 & SS4 look brand new, no scratches, even the glossy finish no scratches visibles...

Reactions: shr631

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the insight. Still torn - the open box midnight I ordered from Best Buy is very nice but has a noticeable light scratch on the screen so going to return it. For the paltry savings, it's not worth the damage out of box. I'm passing by an apple store on friday so going to take a look in store and then make a decision then.
Yes I’d say definitely not worth saving a few bucks if it is damaged out of the box. Cool, you’ll have much better idea once you see them in person. And you might end up liking the stainless steel models. They’re pretty scratch resistant and look very nice irl. Interested to know what you decide.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You can’t go wrong with stainless steel or titanium case. But I’d suggest you to see one in person if you can, since the titanium case is not as shiny as stainless steel case.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I struggled with this decision as well. I love titanium! I have a bespoke titanium mountain bike and a tag heuer dive watch and I love the material. I’ve also had an Apple Watch since its inception, with many models. I just skipped the 6 and went from series 5 to now the 7. All my watches have been aluminum because they are super lightweight and I use the watch all day and for workouts. My main issue with spending the money on titanium is that for me, upgrading just about every 2 years, the Apple Watch is kind of disposable tech. Not sure it’s worth spending the extra for titanium if I’m going to hang onto it just a couple of years. But I do secretly really want ti! My red aluminum is great but man titanium is just a beautiful substance. I say if you can afford it go for it!

Reactions: Wags and GlenK

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I've owned Aluminum, SS and Titanium and the latter is by far my favorite -- especially the SBTi as it's very sleek. I definitely would look at the different cases at your local Apple Store if you can.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
It really depends on the finish you like. I had a space black stainless steel series 3 and I really didn't care for the shiny finish. I upgraded to an S5 titanium and love the brushed look, I grabbed a titanium band I found on amazon and it matches great. I just got my S7 Titanium on Monday and I still love the fit and finish compared to the stainless steel.

Reactions: rMBP2013

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Man, to me any watch with the sapphire screen is worth the premium over the aluminum watch.

But admittedly, the stainless steel watch can feel a bit “heavy” over the aluminum. I don’t think so but even I’ll admit the stainless steel watch is more noticeable in the weight department. The Titanium watch solves that issue. I think it’s close to the weight of the aluminum but still gets the sapphire screen.

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
The reduced weight compared to steel is noticeable when working out/running especially.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I had the natural Ti watch last year and it was not noticeably heavier than my previous aluminum watches. The titanium was beautiful but the case did scratch easily and while much of it can be buffed out, I could still see the scratches in bright light and it bothered me. I went back to aluminum this year and am very happy with my Starlight watch. As for value, the trade in from Apple for my Series 6 Aluminum was $220 and $270 for the Ti.

Reactions: Night Spring

Ent

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
definitely better

Attachments

• 645FF334-8CC9-459C-97B8-D3F2F49F521D.jpeg
    645FF334-8CC9-459C-97B8-D3F2F49F521D.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 890

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Space Black Titanium perfectly complimented by the space black link bracelet. I've had the bracelet since my Series 0. Never really loved how the brushed finish of the bracelet clashed with the gloss finish of the case. Ti works much better with it.

IMG_9951.jpg

fixpoint

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Space Black Titanium perfectly complimented by the space black link bracelet. I've had the bracelet since my Series 0. Never really loved how the brushed finish of the bracelet clashed with the gloss finish of the case. Ti works much better with it.

View attachment 1903074
Looks very nice! I’ve got a SBTi on order. I really like the look of the link, but I sit at my laptop all day and worry about the bracelet scratching over time as it rubs against my MacBook as I type. Since you’ve had your bracelet so long, how has the underside held up?

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Looks very nice! I’ve got a SBTi on order. I really like the look of the link, but I sit at my laptop all day and worry about the bracelet scratching over time as it rubs against my MacBook as I type. Since you’ve had your bracelet so long, how has the underside held up?

It's actually as good as the day I got it. Every time I think I've rubbed against something that's scratched it I rub the spot hard with my finger and it just wipes off. The "diamond-like" isn't a joke. I'm sure if you take it to extreme levels of abuse it might do some damage but under normal and slightly above normal levels of wear it's great. The DLC coated watch and bracelet are VERY durable.

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Does steel branchlet scratch the bottom of the Watch?
No scratches between the bracelet and the case on my previous SBSS and none on the SBTi after taking it on and off a couple of times. The two DLC surfaces tend to just slide over each other.

Reactions: fixpoint

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
One thing I really enjoy about my Space Black Titanium is how understated it looks.

I'm never the one to flash so I wanted a non-SS watch but with the Saphire display. Titanium fit that bill very well.

Titanium watches also come with an extra band and one additional year of warranty. So the price is justifiable and certainly worth it.

My SB Ti has no scratches or dents whatsoever, and I've used it every day for the last 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.