Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Great for you, and you saved some money in the process since the SS is slightly cheaper than the Ti. I guess that is also why Apple doesn't carry the Ti everywhere, they know Alu or SS will be what most people want.

I had a SS silver, really liked it too.
Well I’m actually annoyed by the fact that Apple removed the Space Black DLC option from the SS model. Since DLC and Sapphire is my absolute requirement, I’m left with choosing either the DLC Ti or the Space Black Hermes these days. Well, Hermes is not my style, the only option left is the DLC Ti for me.

I’ll use my Space Black SS for a few more years and in the meantime perhaps Apple will come up with a newer and better option. I wouldn’t mind if they offered a matte black ceramic for instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: rMBP2013

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, Hermes is not my style, the only option left is the DLC Ti for me.
You could, theoretically, buy the Hermes and sell the band. I understand there's an active market for them. Of course, it might not be worth your time and effort, but it is an available option.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Well I’m actually annoyed by the fact that Apple removed the Space Black DLC option from the SS model. Since DLC and Sapphire is my absolute requirement, I’m left with choosing either the DLC Ti or the Space Black Hermes these days. Well, Hermes is not my style, the only option left is the DLC Ti for me.

I’ll use my Space Black SS for a few more years and in the meantime perhaps Apple will come up with a newer and better option. I wouldn’t mind if they offered a matte black ceramic for instance.
I wore a SBSS S4 for over 3 years and originally wanted a new SBSS again, but since Apple didn't like that option for me/us, I have to say I am actually quite happy that I chose the Ti over the SBTi, different look, and I like it. Nice change, but of course YMMV

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
1. value is very subjective and personal. the base aluminum versions are the same watch and they are very sturdy. further most OTHER people will hardly tell the difference when on your wrist. the higher end versions are for YOU.

2. the sapphire screen essentially does not scratch, that to me is the biggest thing with stainless and Ti versions. but remember... the glass version doesn't scratch much, its only visible to you, and only when the screen isn't lit mostly. so is that worth it to you?

3. the most sturdy version of the apple watch is NOT the Ti version. it is the versions of the stainless that have the DLC coating, currently the dark gray version (forgot the name). these essentially don't scratch either. i mean you can, but i beat the hell out of mine for 3 years and you almost need a microscope to see anything wrong with the finish. the DLC dark Ti is pretty sturdy too but slightly less so. regular Ti will scratch and you can't fix it. regular silver stainless scratches like crazy BUT its the only finish most think looks NICE weathered with lots of fine scratches, and you can polish them out if you really want.

bottom line... if you have plenty of extra money and are very bothered by the fine scratches the base glass and aluminum version gets etc. get the DLC stainless versions or DLC Ti versions (stainless is the strongest) but if you don't think your current apple watch is that bad stick with aluminum and maybe treat yourself to upgrading more often with the savings.

Just to correct your post, only the Space Black SS have DLC coating as well as the Space Black Titanium. I own both and no scratches of any kind on either of the watches.

The new Graphite SS does not have DLC coating; so none of the new series 7 SS have DLC unless you go with Hermes Black.

Reactions: canyonblue737

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I preordered the  watch sport back in 2015 and initially didn’t buy the space black steel which I wanted because I didn’t think it was worth it.

Fast forward to December 2015 and I bought a space black steel with link bracelet for a good price. After that I wouldn’t think of going back to aluminum.

Yes you are paying a premium for the materials but like another user previously said you get two years standard warranty with the editions and an additional limited edition band.

Now worth is subjective so what some prefer others won’t.

Get what makes you happy!

oldaaplexec

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
I actually just used an ink eraser on mine yesterday because I had read recently that that works, so I went ahead and ordered a little 5 dollar ink eraser, which just I just received yesterday. I was completely blown away by and extremely happy with the results. I took all the little scratches out within just a few seconds. I was skeptical that it was going to work but it absolutely does.

Which ink eraser did you order?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.