Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyz123456

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
Thanks all for the comments. I picked up a space black titanium today - currently sitting on that, a midnight, and my old nike apple watch. Leaning towards keeping the space black Titanium even though it's 2x the cost and returning the midnight (this one is open box and has a very faint scratch) and trading in my nike series 2 for the paltry $25 it's now worth.

In case anyone is curious, I took some photos of all 3 watches side by side using a mirrorless camera to properly capture the detail with some white balance and shadow tweaks to bring out the colors a bit. I would say without looking too closely, hard to tell the difference but the space black titanium is definitely more refined vs. the midnight. One positive for the midnight is that the GPS only version is slightly slimmer. Weight differences are minimal.

I also saw the Silver Titanium, Silver Stainless, and Graphite versions in store. I thought the stainless steel silver was a bit too flashy for me. I liked the Silver Titanium but all my bands are dark and I don't want to invest in more accessories than necessary and the space black matched what I have now better. Graphite didn't really reasonate with me either.

Apple Watch innovation feel very incremental so hopefully I'll get 5 good years of use out of it before upgrading again.

Thanks again and maybe I'll update again once I make a final decision. Now to find a good non-gray, black colored band to pair with this watch!

Attachments

• DSC02831-2.jpg
    DSC02831-2.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 758
  • DSC02833-2.jpg
    DSC02833-2.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 788

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks all for the comments. I picked up a space black titanium today - currently sitting on that, a midnight, and my old nike apple watch. Leaning towards keeping the space black Titanium even though it's 2x the cost and returning the midnight (this one is open box and has a very faint scratch) and trading in my nike series 2 for the paltry $25 it's now worth.

In case anyone is curious, I took some photos of all 3 watches side by side using a mirrorless camera to properly capture the detail with some white balance and shadow tweaks to bring out the colors a bit. I would say without looking too closely, hard to tell the difference but the space black titanium is definitely more refined vs. the midnight. One positive for the midnight is that the GPS only version is slightly slimmer. Weight differences are minimal.

I also saw the Silver Titanium, Silver Stainless, and Graphite versions in store. I thought the stainless steel silver was a bit too flashy for me. I liked the Silver Titanium but all my bands are dark and I don't want to invest in more accessories than necessary and the space black matched what I have now better. Graphite didn't really reasonate with me either.

Apple Watch innovation feel very incremental so hopefully I'll get 5 good years of use out of it before upgrading again.

Thanks again and maybe I'll update again once I make a final decision. Now to find a good non-gray, black colored band to pair with this watch!
Good choice on the SBTi. I chose it out of graphite ss and the gps Nike which was nice and sleek as you said. Enjoy it!

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
Tony, great choice!

Titanium is just so unique, especially in SB. I'd be curious to see the breakdown but my guess is that aluminum is by far the most common, followed by SS, then Hermes, then titanium.

You also get that super exclusive dark grey band which I absolutely adore.

Reactions: fixpoint

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Worth every penny, if you intend to keep you your AW for more than a year. Not many people are referencing to the two-years warranty for AW Edition models, which is an additional perk to the high cost you’ll have to pay.

Proud owner of the S7 SBTi and I initially had reservations about keeping it but all of that was squashed after wearing it for a day. I’ll be keeping it for at least two years. It’s going to be durable.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I had the natural Ti watch last year and it was not noticeably heavier than my previous aluminum watches. The titanium was beautiful but the case did scratch easily and while much of it can be buffed out, I could still see the scratches in bright light and it bothered me. I went back to aluminum this year and am very happy with my Starlight watch. As for value, the trade in from Apple for my Series 6 Aluminum was $220 and $270 for the Ti.
Apple watch trade in values are the worst of any Apple product. $50 difference between those trade-in values yet the Titanium costs hundreds more.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
6713358e7c1bd2ee60f4d90090a066d5.jpg

Worth it!
That band looks great. Which band is it? Kinda looks like the Nomad band I've seen online. I have the LDFAS Titanium band I got on Amazon and it's maybe a step above 'meh' at best and super lightweight (in a bad way).

oldaaplexec

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
The titanium Watch comes with an included second watch band. Online it shows the included sport band - but only with the M/L straps. If I need the small strap, will Apple allow for a band exchange?

ufgatorvet

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA
I upgraded from SSSB S5 to get all of the "controversial" :rolleyes: improvements that the AW7 offered. Also, I am not a fan of the mock ups of the flat edges rumored to be coming, so wanted to get the current form factor and keep it for several years.

Wanted to go with non-dark casing this time and I found the SS to be too shiny, so settled on the Ti. Very happy with this. ?

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
I upgraded from SSSB S5 to get all of the "controversial" :rolleyes:improvements that the AW7 offered. Also, I am not a fan of the mock ups of the flat edges rumored to be coming, so wanted to get the current form factor and keep it for several years.

Wanted to go with non-dark casing this time and I found the SS to be too shiny, so settled on the Ti. Very happy with this. ?
I upgraded too from the S5 SS to the S7 Ti, and I must say except the change from stainless to titanium there is not much change.

Reactions: ufgatorvet

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I always prefer the DLC SS. My next choice would be the hard anodized Aluminum. Titanium is basically as strong as steel while being as light as Aluminum yet that is the tensile strength we’re talking about, not the scratch resistance. Titanium scratches rather easily and to an untrained eye, Titanium Apple watches are indistinguishable from the anodized Aluminum versions. Anodized Aluminum is better for scratch resistance compared to Titanium.

The only benefit you get by choosing the Ti over the Al is the Sapphire display.

• Haha
Reactions: jz0309

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
I always prefer the DLC SS. My next choice would be the hard anodized Aluminum. Titanium is basically as strong as steel while being as light as Aluminum yet that is the tensile strength we’re talking about, not the scratch resistance. Titanium scratches rather easily and to an untrained eye, Titanium Apple watches are indistinguishable from the anodized Aluminum versions. Anodized Aluminum is better for scratch resistance compared to Titanium.

The only benefit you get by choosing the Ti over the Al is the Sapphire display.
So you are saying that the one at the top (Alu) looks the same as the one at the bottom (Ti)?

maxresdefault.jpg

The Ti have 2 years warranty instead of 1, one extra band. And the Sapphire is (at least for me) a requirement on a watch. Now I understand that some people just see it as a piece of tech and want to pay the least so they can upgrade the following year. But there is people like me who see it more as a piece of jewelry (and as a men, we don't have many jewelry except a nice watch).

Indistinguishable? No

Now are people going to notice the difference when you walk on the street? I don't care, I buy it for myself. Personally, I would never even consider an aluminium watch with a glass that scratch after few months.

My guess is people who say titanium look the same as aluminium have never seen the titanium in real life. And I mean it's fine, I get it. But don't spread those lies please.

DLC coating is good, but SS Silver is nice as you can polish it. Same with the natural titanium, you can scrub the scratch away.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
So you are saying that the one at the top (Alu) looks the same as the one at the bottom (Ti)?

maxresdefault.jpg

The Ti have 2 years warranty instead of 1, one extra band. And the Sapphire is (at least for me) a requirement on a watch. Now I understand that some people just see it as a piece of tech and want to pay the least so they can upgrade the following year. But there is people like me who see it more as a piece of jewelry (and as a men, we don't have many jewelry except a nice watch).

Indistinguishable? No

Now are people going to notice the difference when you walk on the street? I don't care, I buy it for myself. Personally, I would never even consider an aluminium watch with a glass that scratch after few months.

My guess is people who say titanium look the same as aluminium have never seen the titanium in real life. And I mean it's fine, I get it. But don't spread those lies please.

DLC coating is good, but SS Silver is nice as you can polish it. Same with the natural titanium, you can scrub the scratch away.
But you still over paying for minimum difference in the watch cases . But keep Telling yourself the TI version is greatest since slice bread

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I posted elsewhere but looking to upgrade from a Series 2 Nike Apple Watch to the Series 7. I've been looking at all the different options and decided I'll either buy a Midnight Apple Watch (arriving today) or the Titanium Space Black (on order for Dec shipping) watch.

I'm curious for those with the Titanium Series 7 - is it worth it? What makes it worth it to you vs. the aluminum, stainless steel, and Hermes editions? Does it look noticeably nicer than the aluminum versions? I can afford it but debating if it's worth it.

I usually use my Apple Watch for fitness and everyday wear (have a nice mechanical watch as well) so ruled out the stainless steel versions since I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to day to day abuse. After 5 years, there's definitely some chips on my Apple Watch body but the screen is still intact.

Thanks for any thoughts here!

1. value is very subjective and personal. the base aluminum versions are the same watch and they are very sturdy. further most OTHER people will hardly tell the difference when on your wrist. the higher end versions are for YOU.

2. the sapphire screen essentially does not scratch, that to me is the biggest thing with stainless and Ti versions. but remember... the glass version doesn't scratch much, its only visible to you, and only when the screen isn't lit mostly. so is that worth it to you?

3. the most sturdy version of the apple watch is NOT the Ti version. it is the versions of the stainless that have the DLC coating, currently the dark gray version (forgot the name). these essentially don't scratch either. i mean you can, but i beat the hell out of mine for 3 years and you almost need a microscope to see anything wrong with the finish. the DLC dark Ti is pretty sturdy too but slightly less so. regular Ti will scratch and you can't fix it. regular silver stainless scratches like crazy BUT its the only finish most think looks NICE weathered with lots of fine scratches, and you can polish them out if you really want.

bottom line... if you have plenty of extra money and are very bothered by the fine scratches the base glass and aluminum version gets etc. get the DLC stainless versions or DLC Ti versions (stainless is the strongest) but if you don't think your current apple watch is that bad stick with aluminum and maybe treat yourself to upgrading more often with the savings.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
3. the most sturdy version of the apple watch is NOT the Ti version. it is the versions of the stainless that have the DLC coating, currently the dark gray version (forgot the name). these essentially don't scratch either. i mean you can, but i beat the hell out of mine for 3 years and you almost need a microscope to see anything wrong with the finish. the DLC dark Ti is pretty sturdy too but slightly less so. regular Ti will scratch and you can't fix it. regular silver stainless scratches like crazy BUT its the only finish most think looks NICE weathered with lots of fine scratches, and you can polish them out if you really want.

bottom line... if you have plenty of extra money and are very bothered by the fine scratches the base glass and aluminum version gets etc. get the DLC stainless versions or DLC Ti versions (stainless is the strongest) but if you don't think your current apple watch is that bad stick with aluminum and maybe treat yourself to upgrading more often with the savings.
Your information is outdated, only Space Black Ti is DLC
And you can fix scratches on regular Ti.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
The Space Black Hermès is also DLC per that same article.
Thanks for pointing out. I where looking for it, but failed due to the way it is listed. In my country it is not an option anyway, since Hermès variants and bands are not sold here (titanium is, but only on apples website, unlike the other finishes).

Last edited:

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011

maxresdefault.jpg

Indistinguishable? No

Gold is different. I meant the difference between the dark colored Ti vs Al. The brushed finish on the black Al and the dark Ti was almost exactly the same when I put them next to each other at an Apple Store.

Compare similar colors with each other. Silver Al vith silver Ti, and dark gray or black Al with similar colored Ti. As I said, I went to the Apple Store to buy the Titanium model and after comparing it with the Aluminum models, I walked out of the store with the black DLC stainless. After two years of daily use, there is hardly any visible scratch on it.

Last edited:

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
I actually just used an ink eraser on mine yesterday because I had read recently that that works, so I went ahead and ordered a little 5 dollar ink eraser, which just I just received yesterday. I was completely blown away by and extremely happy with the results. I took all the little scratches out within just a few seconds. I was skeptical that it was going to work but it absolutely does.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
Gold is different. I meant the difference between the dark colored Ti vs Al. The brushed finish on the black Al and the dark Ti was almost exactly the same when I put them next to each other at an Apple Store.

Compare similar colors with each other. Silver Al vith silver Ti, and dark gray or black Al with similar colored Ti. As I said, I went to the Apple Store to buy the Titanium model and after comparing it with the Aluminum models, I walked out of the store with the black DLC stainless. After two years of daily use, there is hardly any visible scratch on it.
Great for you, and you saved some money in the process since the SS is slightly cheaper than the Ti. I guess that is also why Apple doesn't carry the Ti everywhere, they know Alu or SS will be what most people want.

I had a SS silver, really liked it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.