Is There A Point For An iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by loon3y, Sep 5, 2012.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

whats the point of it? i mean honestly, i have an iphone and an ipad, why would i need a mini? why would anyone else want a mini? i mean because of financial reasons? i cant see the mini being that much cheaper than the original, and why they would want a device with less real estate.

i mean does apple want a variety of products? than why did they discontinue the 17inch MBP?

imo, if they go through with it, its going to be a flop. im not going to say its gonna be horrible, but i doubt its going to meet expectations.

just a waste of resources, why not invest on something else and bring something unique to the table.

is that it apple? your just going to milk the iphone/ipad till u get sucked dry?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There is a point. What if someone wanted something smaller? Lighter? Easier to carry around all day?

3. Brigrat macrumors member

I plan to buy one for my wife who will be replacing her first gen iPad since she pretty much just uses it as an ebook and browser. I will also buy one for the kids once durable case is released because the price is bound to be better than a full size ipad and with my wifes iPad 1 plus a mini, both will be entertained in the car.

What do you have against the iPad mini? Just because it doesn't meet your needs doesn't mean there isn't a market it for it.

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

Isn't the screen everything these days?

Then again, maybe you just want to 'show off' as a "one handed tablet" type person.

Maybe there IS a reason there somewhere, but dammed if I can find it..

I think the bigger question is, why upgrade from an iPad 2?

5. honeygirl macrumors member

IPad accord with the demand of consumer is the most important.

6. shortcrust macrumors 6502

These threads are getting really boring.

DIFFERENT PEOPLE WANT DIFFERENT THINGS.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Apple has a way of making people want something even though they may not need it.

With that said, you have an iPhone and iPad, of course you don't think there is a need for one. I'm in the same boat. I don't need a middle device. But for those with just an iPhone or those with just a laptop/desktop looking for a mobile device, the iPad mini could be a suitable option for them. Would I want one if I didn't already have an iPad? Probably not, but that's just me. The current screen size is what I like.

8. mantan macrumors 68000

This.

I'm never ceased to be amazed the selfish myopic view of "I don't want one, so nobody else will want one."

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

These same threads came up before the first ipad

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Agreed

There are how many different car makers resulting in maybe 1,000 different cars. Some people want different things.

Geez.

Wake up.

Get it.

11. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I would think that since you have an iPhone and an iPad, you are not the type of customer that the iPad Mini is intended for.

For instance, a person with an iPhone and a 15" MacBook Pro (like myself) could find a happy middle between both devices in the iPad Mini (or something like the Nexus 7). I find the current iPad too big in comparison to the MacBook Pro and kind of overlapping too much with it. An iPad Mini would avoid that problem and will have a more defined use case, as does the iPhone and the MacBook Pro.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Because the iPad mini will sell more units in the first month than the 17inch MBP sold over its lifetime?

13. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Not everything Apple does is targeted at *your* personal needs and wants. There are others of us out here in the world with "perhaps" different needs/wants. Just perhaps.<wry grin>

14. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Its point is to be a smaller/cheaper option to the current iPad. Don't think that really needs explaining.

15. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I have both the iPad 3 and a iMac, and I am serious interested in the iPad Mini, that much so I am holding off buying the new iPhone 5 until I've had time to see if it will come to exist.

The idea of a much more mobile tablet appeals to me much more in my requirements than a tiny bit bigger screen on the new iPhone.

16. WLS macrumors 65816

Really! And when the iPad came out they stood in line to get one. I was one of the first who said an iPad mini was what was really needed for many and took heat for thinking different. When the mini comes out I will know I was right and they were wrong. :D

17. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i'll get the smaller ipad and sell my nexus 7
    as for why, it's my business and money so i can do what i want:eek:

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

These sort of threads make me chuckle a little. While I confess that at the moment I don't really see myself buying the iPad mini ( that might change when it is announced.) But I can see why other people would want it. The iPad is heavy, it isn't good for reading in bed because of this. I primarily use the iPad as a laptop replacement. It compliments my iMac perfectly for me. A different use case would compliment a different form factor.
    But the reason that this thread made me laugh was I remember reading similar threads when the iPad was announced.

19. trip1ex macrumors 68000

20. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

nope, no point. thanks for asking us though.

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

not everyone fits into the "one size fits all" category. people want different things. What's the point of making bigger or smaller cars? Why don't they make just a "one size fits all" and call it a day??

22. Tech198 macrumors G4

Smaller + cheaper + price = low resolution.

How about an ipad mini with Retina ? Apples not archiving much by just making it smaller.

Give people a better incentive to upgrade from the ipad 2.

23. Glockron macrumors member

I would never get the iPad as is. It's too big to carry around, yet too weak to replace a computer. Also - it's not aesthetically pleasing as it has a massive bezel.

The mini moves the iPad back into the superportable zone, and at no real performance cost that's a happy trade. Plus, the size decrease isn't just because of the screen, but according to leaks the bezel will be much thinner around the sides, like the iPod touch or iPhone.

I've never liked the iPad. I've never understood why it's a big deal. But the mini - I might just jump on that. It looks damn sexy.

24. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Because not everyone has the same needs as you? What's fine and works for you doesn't mean that it will work for me or someone else.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you think its fair to say that there are plenty of people who have neither an iPad nor an iPhone or any combination there of.

Its also fair to say that there are people who want something smaller than an ipad but larger than an iPhone.

Many people who view tablets as expensive toys would not spend 500 on one, but they will spend $200 - $300 on one.

If its not sucessful so be it, neither was the G4 cube, but Apple has more than enough money to take a chance on something they thing will be sucessful enough.