Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faby GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi
I've an iPad retina 2, and I'm on iOS 10.3.3.
Is there a way to update it to 11?
Please don't think I'm a noob if I ask this question (because I'm not).
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Hi
Thanks in advance
Sadly there is not a way to get the iPad 4 onto iOS 11. The earliest supported iPad is the fifth-generation model. Honestly though, despite the feature set (which would be gimped a bit on iPad 4, as it is on older compatible iPads), I would not advise you to put it on that device if it were possible.

Reactions: ACST and faby GT

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Even if you could (which you can't without jailbreaking the device) you shouldn't want it because it would be slow as hell (there's a reason Apple's not supporting it anymore).

Last edited by a moderator:

faby GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Sadly there is not a way to get the iPad 4 onto iOS 11. The earliest supported iPad is the fifth-generation model. Honestly though, despite the feature set (which would be gimped a bit on iPad 4, as it is on older compatible iPads), I would not advise you to put it on that device if it were possible.
Thanks. So Is there a way to have iOS 11 theme, features or something similar?
Thanks again

faby GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Even if you could (which you can't without jailbreaking the device) you shouldn't want it because it would be slow as hell (there's a reason Apple's not supporting it anymore).

On android devices you can upgrade with custom roms without losing performance, and I didn't know if there was a way to update on iOS without losing performance.

Reactions: Paddle1 and tkukoc

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hi
Thanks in advance
No, unlike old Macs which can run unsupported versions and can be upgraded with more RAM and fast SSDs to make it run decent, iOS devices are locked down. You're stuck with what you get.
[doublepost=1506620424][/doublepost]
ven if you could (which you can't without jailbreaking the device) you shouldn't want it because it would be slow as hell (there's a reason Apple's not supporting it anymore).
No, even with a jailbreak it is impossible to run a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit device.

arringa

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2018

Despite being the hardware adequate, I personally think It is a commercial mistake to cut out thousands of thousands of relatively recent devices and their users. I would opt for a STRIPPED DOWN version of iOS 11 as regarding to new features... Also realizing your "just some months ago" considered powerful innovative A6x chip is suddenly useless It sounds like a deceit to me.
[doublepost=1531597312][/doublepost]What about iOS 11 32 bit version just like windows os does ?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What about iOS 11 32 bit version just like windows os does ?

Well, since there is no such thing, and Apple has dropped 32-bit support on iOS and will be dropping on Mac soon, don't hold your breath for such a beast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.