Is there really going to be 32gb in February?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deratka, Jan 20, 2009.

1. deratka macrumors newbie

I am a first time poster (so go easy on me), but long time reader. I am joining the iphone crowd soon. I am not going to wait until June for the "possible" upgraded phone, as I agree with many posters in that I could always be waiting for the latest and greatest.
    My question is, should I wait a few more weeks for the 1st week of February to pass for a "possible" 32gb phone, or just purchase now? I've waited a while so a few more weeks isn't going to kill me, but I haven't really heard that much about a storage bump in February (like there was last year) after the false MacWorld rumors. Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We know nothing. There are no 32GB NAND chips yet.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Precisely, no one knows yet.

4. deratka thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should just wait a few weeks, and then we will know (or not know still) about the 32gb iphone, or just buy now?? If I am going to wait, I will until about about February 10th (because I've learned of Apple's tendancy towards Tuesday announcements).

5. svndmvn Guest

why would february be significant for the iPhone?
    If 16GB isn't enough for you, wait.
    If 16GB is enough, buy and enjoy the phone.
    If Apple doesn't release a new phone on February 10th don't you think you'll want to wait March 10th? that's a Tuesday as well. No one really knows. June/July sounds good, either way there's a really good chance we'll see a storage bump in 2009, probably no other hardware changes until 2010.

6. deratka thread starter macrumors newbie

The significance of February is that's when the storage was bumped last year to 16gb. I agree with you that I could be waiting for a long time, which I am not going to do. I will buy in February at the latest.

7. Barbs macrumors regular

Yes there will be a 32GB in February. Reason I belive this to be so is because I just bought a 16GB last week.

8. deratka thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh - that's exactly why I'm hesitant to buy right now!! I'm usually the person that happens to. Good luck!

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

"Is there really ... "

Who ever said there would be?

10. deadsouls macrumors regular

there will definitely be one in february YES. please wait another month to buy one so you dont come back and make more ridiculous posts.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Or, you know, come Feb 29th -- 15 "OMG!! no new iphone! WTF?!?!?" posts go up.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There is no Feb 29th this year. ;)

But as others have said, we have no idea when a 32GB iPhone is coming. It could be in February, July, or 2010. It is all speculation on our part.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Are you sure? Let me double check my calander - nope, Feb 29, 2009. I see it right here.

Oh and svndmvn - PSSST .. change your post ;) I'm talking to the future from the past! :eek:

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yes there are, and there have been for MONTHS. I believe Intel, Samsung and Toshiba all make 32GB chips.

15. svndmvn Guest

me too, I just spoke to Steve Jobs and he says he will be shipping 32GB iPhones himself to the good kids on this forum on February 29th, just make sure you leave some cookies and a glass of milk for him

16. Barbs macrumors regular

There will definitely be a 32GB by February 29th.

17. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Actually, there IS, but you need a flux capacitor to get there. :cool:

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Damn, and I just sold my Delorean.:mad:

19. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

God I hope so!

What makes this wait particularly harsh is that there have been zero recent rumours. I suppose all the rumour mills have been focusing on SJ instead of product recently.

Every day is a trial. (And I really mean that - I have a Palm Treo 750 atm. :( )

20. rayward macrumors 65816

Apple has a 30 day return policy. You can buy now and return it in February (well, most of February anyway) if they release a new model and/or change the pricing.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

32 GB NAND Flash chips are expected to begin production in late Jan 2009 (this month); however, how fast will Apple adopt these? No one knows that one.

22. rayward macrumors 65816

"Adopting" suggests that there is something more than "buying and installing" on the motherboard. Is this the case, or does it just come down to production runs and pricing strategy?

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

By adopting I mean, actually start producing test units in Apple HQ and releasing the new iPhone if all tests are successful.

24. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Given the current economy, I don't know if there is demand for another, even higher priced, iPhone 3G. I'm hoping they forgo releasing the 32gb 3G iPhone and make the next iPhone 16 / 32.

25. peperoni macrumors member

I guess iPhone will soon have 32gigs internal mem update. IPhone's internal mem upgrades have been roughly in line with the internal mem upgrades of other makers' phones. When 2G iPhone had 8gigs, so did N95 8GB and when 3G had 16 gigs, so did N96 (+sd slot). N97 is shipping 31.3 with 32GB internal + sd slot, so I think once again there will be equal storage space in iPhone (well almost, because N97 has up to 16GB and later 32GB microSDHC-> total 48GB or 64GB).