Is this a good USB Display Adapter for a 2009 13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Siannath, Apr 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Siannath, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

Siannath macrumors member

Siannath

Hi there!

My 2009 13" MacBook Pro has a mini DisplayPort, but is broken, no longer works reliably. It has, however, perfectly working USB 2.0 ports. I use OS X El Capitan and I expect to upgrade to 10.12 when released.

I need to connect an external display for everyday use and I was thinking on this USB to VGA Adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-VGA-Adapter-USB2VGAPRO2/dp/B009L14FHI/

Is this a good solution for my problem? Is there a better, most convenient or cheaper alternative?

Thank you!

2. Siannath thread starter macrumors member

Siannath

3. Siannath thread starter macrumors member

Siannath

Well, I bought the DVI one (USB2DVIPRO2).

The image is 100% crisp. However, at best it has a refresh rate of 20fps. At best.

Also, it is heavily CPU power dependent. If you are only on the desktop with a few simple windows, everything is fine. However, if you play fullscreen video or animations, two processes eat all the CPU time: DisplayLink and WindowServer.

So, it is not perfect, but it is way better that having no external display.

I would recommend it if your miniDisplayPort is failing and your computer has only USB 2.0 ports.