Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eMac4ever, Feb 26, 2010.

1. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

So, there is this boy I know.

He is the scourge of humanity. Honestly, the SCUM Manifesto was written with this guy in mind.

I have recently heard that he is applying for a job. I feel so bad for the unsuspecting employer, who might not know what they are getting into by employing him. So, I am thinking that I should call the employer up and ask them if they want my opinion on him. If they say yes, I will launch into how horrible he is, without lying (I do not need to lie to make him look bad…trust me).

I know what you are thinking.

I am not just some disgruntled girlfriend trying to exact my revenge on a previous lover; many people agree with me that he is an extremely rude and inconsiderate young man. He is the definition of suave around people he needs, but treats those who he doesn’t need worse than trash.

Would this be illegal, as long as I do not lie and ask them if they want my opinion first?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Drop it. The employer likely won't hear you out and you sound like the very person you're describing. Just move on with your life and let his employer or future employer figure this all out. True colors will eventually shine through. The time to do this is when he's trying for a job where his background check extends to character witnesses and friends and family are interviewed.

Perhaps consider being the bigger person here, not a piece of scum who is acting like a woman scorned. Ruining his life because he doesn't want you enough, love you enough, respect you enough, etc. is stupid.

4. bmacir macrumors 6502

If it's true that this guy is "the scourge of humanity" the employer will find out sooner or later, so there is no need for your unrequested advice.

Your interference could be interpreted as stalking or violation of privacy. Though it's not so important if it's legal or not, the question should be is it right (morally acceptable) or wrong? I would say wrong. So my advice would be to mind your own buisness. :)

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Girl you need to move on. You can only tarnish yourself doing this. I already think you're a bit nutty for even considering it. As bad as this guy is, there are a lot worse people in the world, with better careers in positions of authority and power.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not illegal but it is despicable and makes you worse than the person you're talking about.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

most certainly. but sometimes these things have to be done :p

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I'd let it go.

I'd be less concerned about his behavior and worry more about yourself. If you start "educating" people/potential employers of what an evil person he is, what kind of person would you be turning into?

Besides, he needs the room to grow, fail and maybe even change. If you follow him around thwarting all his opportunities he'll lose out on that potential. Maybe he'll never change, maybe he will but do you want to punish him or stop him?

He he harmed you, forgive him and move on. Holding on a grudge will plant the root of bitterness in you and will cause you to do things like what you posted. Forgive him, move on and don't have anything to do with him any more. Let him fail (or succeed) on his own and only worry about your own self.

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

As an employer, if I got a call like that I'd would feel certain that it was "just some disgruntled girlfriend trying to exact revenge on a previous lover" and assume the guy was smart in ditching someone who would do such a whacko thing.

Grow up. Drop it. Move on.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's not criminal illegal but you could possibly be sued for defamation of character if he found himself unemployable and could prove that it was because of the things you said. Very unlikely to happen that way though. Mostly I think if you went through with that you'd feel like a sucker years down the line for lowering yourself to that level. (and as awful as he may be, that would be very low of you to do.)

I would move on. If he's rotten, it will be discovered soon enough.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Why? Do you know them? They may not be as helpless as you think. They might be just what he needs! :)

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." - Confucius

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you have to ask if something is illegal, chances are it is, or at the very least, legal but extremely stupid.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It definitely seems wrong to interfere with his prospects. Unless you know him to have committed criminal acts. Especially if those acts would endanger that business or it's clientele. Say if he was one of those sadistic bastards that tortures animals and he was trying to work at an animal shelter I would let them know.

As for scourge of humanity. Unless your ex planned out and executed mass genocide I do not think he qualifies for the title.

14. felt. macrumors 6502a

15. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

16. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

in that kind of matter, you dont offer your opinion, you wait for it to be asked for ;)

side note, just move on whats the point of moaning about this douche if he's that bad?

17. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

This.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If your not an ex lover being bitchy have you thought that maybe he is he way he is cos no one gives him a chance? Maybe he has a crappy homelife and a job would offer an escape and a big change in how he is!

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

20. iOrlando macrumors 68000

if you felt the need, I would say sure why not.

i wouldnt call though. Maybe send a letter in the mail. If you have any proof of some sort of issue he has, that would hold more weight.

trust me, the employer would appreciate your help, as long as its just not you saying he sucks. If he previously got arrested for something, etc.

I would think they do a background check, but maybe this job isnt that big and those checks arent performed.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Say she succeeeds and he isn't hired. Then what? Is she supposed to follow him around for the rest of his life, undermining all his job prospects? Where does it end?

No good will come of this.

22. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

If you try and police every ****** you meet in your life, you won't HAVE a life.

Move on, be happy! :)

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, that's terrible advice. She should not be involved, period.

25. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Stop waisting you time and energy worried about this other person. It's not worth it and as many have already said it lowers you to a level that I don't think you want to be on. You will never be able to control others, but you can always control yourself. For your own mental and emotional health take the high road and remove this person from your life.