Is upgrading my 3GS now a bad idea?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okrelayer, Apr 29, 2011.

  1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

    May 25, 2008
    I was content with waiting until WWDC, but with the release of iPhone 4 white and the rumors, it's pretty much set in stone no iPhone 5 until fall (5-6 months away.) im just wondering if it's stupid to buy the iPhone now. My 3GS works fine, but that allure of a new phone is getting to me!
  2. ngenerator macrumors 68000


    May 12, 2009
    USG Ishimura
    My 3GS is starting to feel its old age, but I'm still holding off till the 5 (or the 4S), whatever they call it :)
  3. Vantwistable macrumors newbie

    Feb 8, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Better off waiting in the long run. I wish I still had my 3GS. I do love the iPhone 4 but just not as much as I did my iPhone 3GS get the 5.
  4. eawmp1 macrumors 601


    Feb 19, 2008
    And the regret of having a 15-16 month old iPhone model will be getting to you when the iPhone 5 arrives. If your current phone works, wait.
  5. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 25, 2008
    Thanks for the support guys! I know you all can relate with that URGE you get when it comes to Apple stuff hah. I think i'll buy another case for my 3GS, just to make it feel new again for a few more months!
  6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000


    Nov 11, 2010
    Carnegie and Ontario
    I'm in the same boat you are. My 3GS, while still a perfectly functioning iPhone, I do feel that same desire of a new piece of hardware. My upgrade isn't until mid-May, but I think it would be a really bad idea to upgrade before the next iPhone came out. It will be interesting to see what happens at WWDC this year, even when they say that they are focusing mostly on iOS and Mac OS X.
  7. BlindMellon macrumors 65816


    Apr 4, 2011
    well, with all this delay and the iphone 5 looking to just be a refresh of the iphone 4, i just went ahead and bought a 32gig ipad 2. scratches that itch to upgrade just fine. since i won't be using the very small 3gs for things like gaming, watching video and internet, i can hold onto it until apple produces something worthy of upgrading to.

    having the ipad 2 also opens the door to buy something other than an iphone should apple continue to disappoint this year.
  8. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 25, 2008
    With lion coming out soon, I think that will scratch that NEW APPLE STUFF itch. iPad 1, and 3GS are fine IMO. Maybe I need to find a new lady friend haha
  9. solowmodel macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2011
    What has Apple disappointed you in this year?
  10. Mattgella macrumors newbie

    Apr 29, 2011
    I was sort of in the same boat, only my boat was a year older! I had the 3G model and it was really getting to me. I would have to reset it all the time and it was soooooooo slow. I felt that it was simply too long to wait until September for a new phone so I bought a 16 GB Refurb iphone 4 from AT&T for $99. I swear that phone looked new in every way when I took it out of the box and when I checked the usage it only had a little over an hour of use on it. Depending on what the next iphone is (4S or 5) if I really feel that I have to have it, I will just sell my iphone 4 for current market value (which should be between $300 and $400) and apply that money to the cost of a new one. Even if the new one cost $600, it should really only end of costing me about $200 or $300 after I sell my iphone 4. Since this is the same cost I would have to pay in September if I waited, I really think this is a no brainer. I get a new phone now that is light years faster and when the next iphone comes out I get it for the same price it would cost me if I waited (assuming I can sell my iphone 4) which doesn't appear to be a problem when looking at the history of iphone sales on ebay.
  11. BlindMellon macrumors 65816


    Apr 4, 2011
    it's different for everyone. for me it's the small 3.5" screen. i don't care if they cram a billion pixels in there, it's too damn small to do anything comfortably other than calling and maybe hitting the play button on your tunes. i can do that on a dumb phone.

    again, for me, it's why i didn't upgrade from my 3gs to the iphone 4 last year. i've played with the 4s enough to appreciate the retina display, but not enough to blow my upgrade on one.

    and if the 5 is just a faster processor and an updated grid-layout OS with the same small screen, i'll probably pass on that too.
  12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

    Nov 24, 2010
    Scarborough, United Kingdom
  13. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

    Feb 28, 2009
    Texas, US
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I would definitely hold off till the iPhone 5 gets released, even if that means waiting until Sept.-Oct.
  14. STC macrumors 6502a

    May 14, 2008
    Thats exactly what I did. Waiting for the 5!
  15. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    Just tell yourself it's only a 5-months wait. It's really not that long, especially if you have the 3GS. The 3G would've been another thing. Good luck :apple:
  16. outlawarth macrumors regular

    Mar 20, 2011
  17. solowmodel macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2011
    So what did you do? :)

    I'm leaning towards buying a white i4 retail tomorrow.
  18. spinstorm macrumors 68000

    Sep 14, 2007
    Obviously in the scheme of things a new iPhone will be out within the next 6 months. So no contract upgraded now would be worth getting if you wanted a new iPhone 5 then on contract.

    Personally I think there are some amazing iPhone contracts in the UK right now (of course this doesn't help if your not in the UK).

    I actually signed up to a new 2 year iPhone contract on 3 yesterday. I already have a black iPhone but I felt the deal was so good contract wise it was worth it.

    For £35pm

    2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data including tethering
    + 2 year spotify premium subscription.

    For that you can have a new 16GB iPhone in either colour for £69 plus a free black bumper.

    So I thought why not. I have listed my black iPhone on eBay to cover the new contract costs for a year and I can resell my new White iphone to get a iPhone 5 in 6 months and in the meantime I'm one of the few people with a White iPhone 4.
  19. solowmodel macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah if I do go for a white i4 it'll be full retail. Will be free to upgrade later, so the freedom is nice.
  20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
  21. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    Same here, but I'm waiting it out.
    New case sounds like a good idea.
  22. hudsonCrossing macrumors member

    Feb 25, 2009
    Im in the same boat as a lot of people here....we can look at either this boat is about to sink or it gives us the comfort of waiting together. ;)
  23. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    I've been using my iPhone 3G since i got it in the release day of 08. If I can hold up, then so can you. I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 5 this year as well.
    It's all about willpower and patience, some good qualities to have in life.
  24. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 25, 2008
    Im going to hold out! I like that we have ourselves a bit of a support group here :p

Share This Page