Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I swore that I would exercise self-control this year and not fall prey to the hype but now that the X is just around the corner I'm starting to have second thoughts. $1000 is a lot of money for a phone, especially when there's nothing wrong with my current one. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Also, are we pretty much limited to either full retail price or monthly installments via an annual upgrade plan now that subsidized pricing is essentially non-existent?

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I swore that I would exercise self-control this year and not fall prey to the hype but now that the X is just around the corner I'm starting to have second thoughts. $1000 is a lot of money for a phone, especially when there's nothing wrong with my current one. Is anyone else in a similar situation?
Well I upgraded from a 7+ to the X. I felt like its worth the upgrade and there was nothing wrong with my 7+. I just wanted the newest phone thats all.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Nah, stick with the 7 for another year. It's barely over a year old and it'll run smoothly until iOS12, I'm sure.

Let the tests and developments happen this year and pick up a better, more refined phone in a few months.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Your 7 is still a fantastic phone. Hold on to it for another year and you'll save a good amount of money and be rewarded with something even better next year.

Reactions: iScone

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Why is everyone assuming a new phone will come out next year? I wouldn't assume that. The 7 to the X is a large upgrade.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Yup. I’ve got the 7 and I preordered the X. It’s a lot of money and I don’t need the phone since my 7 is totally fine, but I’ve got the money and phones are the one thing I splurge on. I kept trying to tell myself that I don’t need it, but life is meant to be enjoyed and I’ve got the extra cash and I’m ahead of schedule in my retirement accounts, so if this makes me happy, then why not?

Reactions: AlyMourad

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The reasonable thing to do, and what most people did up until the internet arrived, would be to use your current <insert any object name> until it’s either dead or obsolete.

But since the late 90s, consumer reason rarely shows its face, and especially when it comes to buying Apple products.

I’ve owned every single iPhone except the 5C, the SE and the + sizes. 10 years, 10 phones.

When I was a kid, we had the same puke green Bell Company rotary dial phone for 10 years. 10 years, 1 phone.

The normalization of rampant consumerism is...I’ll finish that thought on my 11th iPhone tomorrow.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
IMO this is 100% a want situation. The phone won't do anything your other phone can't, aside from faceID, which I would argue you do not need with perfectly good fingerprint scanner.

I went through this same struggle with a 6s plus. It needs a new battery. Otherwise it is rock solid. I am contemplating giving it to my son for video streaming and selling his SE. We have a fourth line with our account that was free when we signed with tmobile, so aside from the taxes on the line we wouldn't save anything if we dropped it. Makes for a wonderful road trip companion hahaha

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
I have the iPhone 7 Plus. iOS 11 runs smooth as butter, 7 plus looks elegant, cool features, etc. With that said, **** yeah it’s worth it. That’s why I’m picking up my iPhone X tomorrow at 8am!!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The reasonable thing to do, and what most people did up until the internet arrived, would be to use your current <insert any object name> until it’s either dead or obsolete.

But since the late 90s, consumer reason rarely shows its face, and especially when it comes to buying Apple products.

I’ve owned every single iPhone except the 5C, the SE and the + sizes. 10 years, 10 phones.

When I was a kid, we had the same puke green Bell Company rotary dial phone for 10 years. 10 years, 1 phone.

The normalization of rampant consumerism is...I’ll finish that thought on my 11th iPhone tomorrow.
Wow! I dont buy upgrades if the upgrade isn't that big.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I swore that I would exercise self-control this year and not fall prey to the hype but now that the X is just around the corner I'm starting to have second thoughts. $1000 is a lot of money for a phone, especially when there's nothing wrong with my current one. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Also, are we pretty much limited to either full retail price or monthly installments via an annual upgrade plan now that subsidized pricing is essentially non-existent?
That is a very personal question. Only you can answer it. If in doubt, or fearful of the 'mob effect', wait 3 months. If you still want it, get it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Why is everyone assuming a new phone will come out next year? I wouldn't assume that. The 7 to the X is a large upgrade.
The year Apple doesn’t release a new iPhone is the year California tumbles into the sea. Or some Chump takes us into armageddon. Or the air becomes too hot to fly planes. Or we run out of oil.

Until something globally awful happens, it will be business as usual for Apple.

Reactions: joeblow7777

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The year Apple doesn’t release a new iPhone is the year California tumbles into the sea. Or some Chump takes us into armageddon. Or the air becomes too hot to fly planes. Or we run out of oil.

Until something globally awful happens, it will be business as usual for Apple.
That doesn't mean iPhones every year.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
It’s an extra $7 per month to go from 7 Plus to iPhone X. That a grande mocha latte. Well worth it for something I use daily, constantly. Using AT&T 24 month plan, with upgrade after 12 payments. So it’s not the $1,200 for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.