Is Vista on par with OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Paulsan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Paulsan macrumors member

A guy posted on another forum that Windows Vista is now on par with Mac OS X.

What do you guys think?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not really. In fact in some cases it is a step backwards from Windows XP (audio editing for instance). If you play games, it accounts for a small decrease in performance and until all the driver issues have been resolved I doubt many professionals would choose to use Vista.

I think that Vista from a looks perspective is on par with OS X but from a usability stand point is still lagging behind or playing copy cat.

4. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Could you ask in a much more biased forum?

5. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

That's the TROOF. I haven't used Vista too much, yet, but that is my number 1 pet peeve in Windows. God-forbid the OS actually keep track of the file, regardless of whether it's in use.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

It is, unfortunately it's on par with OS X 10.2.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had some slim sad hope that they fixed that in Vista. They didn't. :rolleyes:

8. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Try doing anything audio related in vista ;( it will tell you

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Apples and Oranges. I just happen to like Apples for a number of reasons, but there are just as many reasons to like oranges.

10. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

The reality is, with EVERY release of Windows, Windows users will try to convince you that this release is really like Mac.

Windows users who have not used a Mac in the last 5-7 years have no idea, unfortunately (for them).

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd say it's more on par with 10.1 actually, except it's got Spotlight and a poor imitation of Dashboard. You may find you prefer it though. I find it slow, irritating and ugly, personally. OS X feels much 'lighter' and faster in comparison.

12. wngraham macrumors regular

That was one of the 1st things I noticed about OS X. I was playing a Quick Time file that was on my desktop, and moved it to my Movies folder...and immediately upon doing it braced myself for the error message that never appeared.

13. chyeahish macrumors newbie

this has to be a joke...:apple: is on such a higher level, but what answer's did you expect on a Mac forum?

14. mpcoady macrumors member

mpcoady

15. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

16. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I think it's great when I'm working on a file in GarageBand and then I rename the file while the program is still running and using the file. All that happens is that the file name changes in the title bar of the GarageBand application. :D

17. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Vista actually goes backward in terms of usability.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Vista's media center isn't too bad. Microsoft under sells itself sometimes. It doesn't feel as mature as OS X but it isn't really bad once you get use to it.

19. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I set up a new Vista PC for a relative a few months ago. It was a horrible, horrible experience.

SL

20. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I feel Vista is a step back from XP, but with enough configuring it would probably be as usable as OS X, and as visually stylish. Just gotta kill all the extra pop-up windows and garbage like that.

21. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I disagree. This was my biggest shock when I first had a proper go at Vista (Home Premium), although I then did feel a bit stupid for expecting anything else.

From the hype and the screenshots, yes Vista did look very stylish. But, it's just a thin veneer of eye candy that adds nothing to the user experience.

Vista is XP with lots of cheap gold jewelry and a Burberry check baseball cap. That's not style. OS X is style. Vista is the chav OS.

All my humble opinion, of course. :cool:

SL

22. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

You will get the exact answers (except for the other way around) on a Vista forum, so why even bother?

23. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I think XP works better than Vista.

OS X is well better in my opinion.

It just works and you don't get things like DLL Hell

24. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Vista still has the registry, which is flawed by concept.

25. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I have both, my macbook for EVERYTHING, and a gateway (BOOOO) notebook for halo, matlab, and PSPICE, along with other EE programs.
    First response to Vista is that it looks much better than XP, XP makes me want to vomit.
    After about 5 minutes of using it though, Vista makes me nauseas with all the visuals. Aero is crap in my opinion, I cant make it how I like it. In terms of usability, its Windows. Also it makes my notebook run super hot.

Let me put it this way, if CrossOver worked for ALL windows programs, I would BURN my copies of XP and VISTA.

OS X and Linux are all the OSes that Id ever need, if I could run those programs on it.