Is Vista on par with OS X?

Paulsan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Earth
A guy posted on another forum that Windows Vista is now on par with Mac OS X.

What do you guys think?

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
A guy posted on another forum that Windows Vista is now on par with Mac OS X.

What do you guys think?
Not really. In fact in some cases it is a step backwards from Windows XP (audio editing for instance). If you play games, it accounts for a small decrease in performance and until all the driver issues have been resolved I doubt many professionals would choose to use Vista.

I think that Vista from a looks perspective is on par with OS X but from a usability stand point is still lagging behind or playing copy cat.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Try moving a file that's in use in Vista.
That's the TROOF. I haven't used Vista too much, yet, but that is my number 1 pet peeve in Windows. God-forbid the OS actually keep track of the file, regardless of whether it's in use.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's the TROOF. I haven't used Vista too much, yet, but that is my number 1 pet peeve in Windows. God-forbid the OS actually keep track of the file, regardless of whether it's in use.
I had some slim sad hope that they fixed that in Vista. They didn't. :rolleyes:

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Apples and Oranges. I just happen to like Apples for a number of reasons, but there are just as many reasons to like oranges.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
The reality is, with EVERY release of Windows, Windows users will try to convince you that this release is really like Mac.

Windows users who have not used a Mac in the last 5-7 years have no idea, unfortunately (for them).

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I'd say it's more on par with 10.1 actually, except it's got Spotlight and a poor imitation of Dashboard. You may find you prefer it though. I find it slow, irritating and ugly, personally. OS X feels much 'lighter' and faster in comparison.

wngraham

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
That was one of the 1st things I noticed about OS X. I was playing a Quick Time file that was on my desktop, and moved it to my Movies folder...and immediately upon doing it braced myself for the error message that never appeared.

Try moving a file that's in use in Vista.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
That was one of the 1st things I noticed about OS X. I was playing a Quick Time file that was on my desktop, and moved it to my Movies folder...and immediately upon doing it braced myself for the error message that never appeared.
I think it's great when I'm working on a file in GarageBand and then I rename the file while the program is still running and using the file. All that happens is that the file name changes in the title bar of the GarageBand application. :D

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Vista's media center isn't too bad. Microsoft under sells itself sometimes. It doesn't feel as mature as OS X but it isn't really bad once you get use to it.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I feel Vista is a step back from XP, but with enough configuring it would probably be as usable as OS X, and as visually stylish. Just gotta kill all the extra pop-up windows and garbage like that.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
...as visually stylish.
I disagree. This was my biggest shock when I first had a proper go at Vista (Home Premium), although I then did feel a bit stupid for expecting anything else.

From the hype and the screenshots, yes Vista did look very stylish. But, it's just a thin veneer of eye candy that adds nothing to the user experience.

Vista is XP with lots of cheap gold jewelry and a Burberry check baseball cap. That's not style. OS X is style. Vista is the chav OS.

All my humble opinion, of course. :cool:

SL

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
I have both, my macbook for EVERYTHING, and a gateway (BOOOO) notebook for halo, matlab, and PSPICE, along with other EE programs.
First response to Vista is that it looks much better than XP, XP makes me want to vomit.
After about 5 minutes of using it though, Vista makes me nauseas with all the visuals. Aero is crap in my opinion, I cant make it how I like it. In terms of usability, its Windows. Also it makes my notebook run super hot.

Let me put it this way, if CrossOver worked for ALL windows programs, I would BURN my copies of XP and VISTA.

OS X and Linux are all the OSes that Id ever need, if I could run those programs on it.