Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Why should they milk it for that long?
Because milking a product makes a boatload of money?

But I really wouldn't characterize it as 'milking'. They've obviously spent a lot of money refining the software. I finally watched the keynote this evening and I have to say the watch os3 improvements are impressive.
[doublepost=1465962415][/doublepost]
When you release new hardware, you need constructive feedback from millions of users, not just the internal folks at Apple!
But you don't need that feedback if you don't release the hardware. Your argument seems circular.

Reactions: Laserducky

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Why should they milk it for that long? Apple is a master at selling a boatload of new iPhone every other year with very little changed. All they need to do is add one new feature to the current AW, call it the new AW, and that's tens of millions more sales for them.

I believe that the number of people who perceive an iPhone as a must-have device is much larger than those who perceive the Apple Watch in the same vein as opposed to many who perceive the Watch as a nice-to-have device especially given its price point. Hence, chances of people buying bucket-loads of Watches is going to be rare I suppose.

I'm excluding fanboys and of course nerds and geeks like ourselves who visit Macrumours and the like and live and breathe Apple and its tech :)

Reactions: Arran

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Because milking a product makes a boatload of money?

But I really wouldn't characterize it as 'milking'. They've obviously spent a lot of money refining the software. I finally watched the keynote this evening and I have to say the watch os3 improvements are impressive.

wOS 3 is a free upgrade to all. If they want tens of millions more in sales, they'd do better to release the next generation AW even if it has a single new feature added (like Siri in the iPhone 4s).

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
The first iPad was released in April 2010. The hardware was replaced in March 2011, less than a year after initial release date. The Watch should match that turnaround time (less than 1 year). The difference between Steve Jobs and Tim Cook when leading the ship!

It won't because a personal computing device is a much easier sell than a smartwatch.

Reactions: Arran

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I believe that the number of people who perceive an iPhone as a must-have device is much larger than those who perceive the Apple Watch in the same vein as opposed to many who perceive the Watch as a nice-to-have device especially given its price point. Hence, chances of people buying bucket-loads of Watches is going to be rare I suppose.

I'm excluding fanboys and of course nerds and geeks like ourselves who visit Macrumours and the like and live and breathe Apple and its tech :)

Pretty sure people said the same thing about iPad, and look where it is.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
wOS 3 is a free upgrade to all. If they want tens of millions more in sales, they'd do better to release the next generation AW even if it has a single new feature added (like Siri in the iPhone 4s).
Yesterday, before I saw the impressive improvements in watchOS 3, I would've agreed with you.

But now, if the fence-sitters try out an OS 3 watch, I'm thinking they might get off the fence. Particularly now that watch prices are coming down dramatically if you shop around.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
Yesterday, before I saw the impressive improvements in watchOS 3, I would've agreed with you.

But now, if the fence-sitters try out an OS 3 watch, I'm thinking they might get off the fence. Particularly now that watch prices are coming down dramatically if you shop around.

It just doesnt make sense to release another watch when this one has just improved so much. One new feature won't do it at all.

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Tell that to the tens of millions of iPhone 4 owners who upgraded to iPhone 4s just to get Siri.

Sure but then, the Watch and iPhone are not quite in the same league are they ? One's a cash cow and the other is a rising but distant star on the horizon.

Cheers !

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Mr. BarracksSi: There won't be a cuff (see above) engineers will figure out a way to mirror the functionality of a cuff in sensor embedded on the watch without a cuff! That is what engineers do--create solutions to problems that seem impossible to solve!
Do you understand how blood pressure cuffs work?

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Mr. BarracksSi: There won't be a cuff (see above) engineers will figure out a way to mirror the functionality of a cuff in sensor embedded on the watch without a cuff! That is what engineers do--create solutions to problems that seem impossible to solve!
It's so obvious now! They just figure it out! Why has nobody thought of this before?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Do you understand how blood pressure cuffs work?
I wonder if a small inflatable blister on the back of the watch would work? As long as the watch itself is worn tightly, you might be able to get a blood pressure reading out of that? Probably not 'medical grade" data, however.

And it's on the wrist, not the arm - so that might not be a good place? And they'll have to design a miniature air pump that fits inside the watch. Then there's battery consumption and the fallibility of an added bunch of electromechanical components. Not looking good.

No, they'll probably need to invent a whole new technology for measuring pressure. I can't imagine FDA approval would be quick, either.
[doublepost=1465989971][/doublepost]
It just doesnt make sense to release another watch when this one has just improved so much. One new feature won't do it at all.
The "one new feature" would serve to get media attention and exposure. But it could just be a cool strap?

WheatonRon

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2015
Wheaton, IL
I wonder if a small inflatable blister on the back of the watch would work? As long as the watch itself is worn tightly, you might be able to get a blood pressure reading out of that? Probably not 'medical grade" data, however.

And it's on the wrist, not the arm - so that might not be a good place? And they'll have to design a miniature air pump that fits inside the watch. Then there's battery consumption and the fallibility of an added bunch of electromechanical components. Not looking good.

No, they'll probably need to invent a whole new technology for measuring pressure. I can't imagine FDA approval would be quick, either.
[doublepost=1465989971][/doublepost]
The "one new feature" would serve to get media attention and exposure. But it could just be a cool strap?

Any BP measurements would only be "directionally correct" with a Watch, but that is better than nothing. However, if in fact the FDA has to approve this, it will never happen. I hope that is not the case. But yes, BP can be measured off your wrist and devices are sold today for a reasonable price, but they have an inflatable piece in the device. So Apple's engineers have to figure a way to get directionally correct measurements into its Watch without an inflatable cuff.

Last edited:

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
I agree with some previous posters. If I did not already have an  Watch, the upgrades being provided would entice me to get one. I hesitated before buying mine trying to decide if I should wait till the fall to see if a new version was introduced. Why not get some more sales of the current version with an upgraded OS then bring out the next generation later with even more refinements?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wow! It does exist in a watch, so Apple engineers don't have to do anything except make it better and smaller. So all the naysayers to my previous posts--it is possible!

Possible with the added bulk though and BP reading isn't exactly the most desired feature around here. I don't see them releasing a separate "Apple Watch Health" model so I'm afraid you're alone in this.

Last edited:

NauCayuti

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Why do I always get the feeling that it is mostly current owners of the AW disbelieving an AW2 release this year?

Last edited:

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
They seem to believe that once AW2 is announced that an AW1 becomes some sort of scarlet letter. Seriously, this September it will have been 2 years since the Apple Watch was introduced, if nothing else there should be improvements in the processor, memory, storage, etc. that every computer experiences over a 2 year span.

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Why do I always get the feeling that it is mostly current owners of the AW disbelieving an AW2 release this year?

Probably true.

However, the same can be said for fence sitters waiting since last year, for the 'new' watch to launch so that they can enjoy the latest and greatest.

Cheers !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.