Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Monday released macOS Catalina to the public, allowing everyone to install the newest version of the operating system for the Mac.

Based on reports on the MacRumors forums, Twitter, and other social networks, some people are running into a specific problem - an installation that hangs.

settingupyourmacstuck-800x615.jpg
Image via MacRumors reader xodbox

After downloading macOS Catalina and installing from the Mac App Store, some people have seen the installation process stop right at the "Setting Up Your Mac..." screen, and even after waiting for hours, it doesn't resolve.

Luckily, there appears to be a super simple fix for this issue: Just restart. Hold down the power button on your Mac until it turns off, and then power it back on.

Based on reports from MacRumors readers, this fix will send you to the login screen or to your desktop.

After the Mac gets to the "Setting Up Your Mac..." screen, the macOS Catalina installation is largely complete. We don't recommend restarting right away, but if sits at that screen for a half hour or more, shut it down because it's not going to resolve on its own.

The macOS Catalina installation takes some time so don't restart ahead of when the setup screen pops up, but based on a multitude of reports, resetting in this way if it gets stuck appears to be a safe way of getting your Mac up and running again.

Article Link: Is Your macOS Catalina Install Stuck? Here's How to Fix It

Last edited:

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
I installed the last beta (beta 10 I believe) and deleted the beta profile when I saw the news of the release. Ever since then I’ve checked for updates but nothing is showing up on my Mac. Was beta 10 the GM?

gruntersdad

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
My Imac took almost 20 hours to get to the Setup screen. Overnight plus. Once at the Setup screen, the forced shut down/restart worked. Very sluggish for a while but getting better.

Reactions: jmgregory1

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
I installed the last beta (beta 10 I believe) and deleted the beta profile when I saw the news of the release. Ever since then I’ve checked for updates but nothing is showing up on my Mac. Was beta 10 the GM?
Do a search for Catalina in the Mac App Store. That’s the only way I found to install after the GM.

Reactions: Squuiid

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Wonder what’s hanging. I hope either someone managed to collect a log and submit it to Apple, or that Apple is gathering some of these logs automatically.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I saw this with the GM public beta. I waited for over an hour before I forced a restart. I have since installed the release version over top of the beta and did not encounter this problem.

Filed Feedback FB7348115 on this then.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Do you have an /opt folder by any chance? What does it contain? (That's unusual on macOS.)

I have one, it's empty now, it's a folder created by third party software afaik.

Shame we can't do a verbose install, otherwise it would show where it hangs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 22.34.17.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 22.34.17.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 297

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Nope. This is all I needed to see to decide that it's going to be a long time before I upgrade to Catalina.

A stalled but basically complete install process is hardly exclusive to Catalina. I remember this being a thing on many versions of OS X.

Reactions: davidg4781
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.