Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
aswitcher said:
See I am not expert and I appear to be missing something here.

Why can't the next isight have a slightly bigger CCD to capture 1920x1080i (2.1meg) or even 720p...we dont need three CCDs for HD...is the firewire 400 bandwidth the issue? Are the increased needed exlectronics the issue? If its all run at the back end then does it come down to the machine alone once you get a big enough CCD?
My opinion is this: none of those things get in the way. What gets in the way is inability to use that capability for video chat purposes since that is the primary reason the iSight exists - at least according to Apple. Apple doesn't WANT to include this capability since it couldn't coexist with the video chat function.

mac n cheese

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
So What Happened? iSights on shelves again!

Does anyone know what happened with the iSights? What is different with the new "Revision C"?

iSights are back in stores after a week or two of no stock, online store is back to same day shipping after 1-2 week wait, and the part #s being shipped have the "C" on them.

Any info would be helpful.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
mac n cheese said:
Does anyone know what happened with the iSights? What is different with the new "Revision C"?

iSights are back in stores after a week or two of no stock, online store is back to same day shipping after 1-2 week wait, and the part #s being shipped have the "C" on them.

http://www.thinksecret.com say that its a minor tweak...

mac n cheese

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Alex Duggan said:
So no G5 powered iSight just yet then?!?!?!

:(

Regretfully no. However, they did bump it up to 20Gbit streaming rate, and put a slot in the back where you can insert crystals which will allow you to chat with 1978. Good news for Bee Gees fans.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
So it sounds as though most users won't really even notice any difference. One more update out of the way.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wdlove said:
So it sounds as though most users won't really even notice any difference. One more update out of the way.

Yeah, it does seem that way... Its a good product but you would think that they could make it a bit cheaper given the dropping cost of small CCDs. Maybe that will happen in the next rev which TS suggest is out in the next few months.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
never use

I hardly use my isight....great for sound recording...all my friends are poor and no money to buy webcam...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
aswitcher said:
Yeah, it does seem that way... Its a good product but you would think that they could make it a bit cheaper given the dropping cost of small CCDs. Maybe that will happen in the next rev which TS suggest is out in the next few months.

Sounds as though we could see a significant update at WWDC. That would be a reason for Steve to introduce it again.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Beligerent said:
I agree with the guy that said NOONE uses video chat yet. -Norm

You've pretty much got to go buy your friend/family an iSight when you get your own if you ever want to use it. That said, once it's in the mix, you'll rarely pick up the phone again! This past xmas i picked up one for my parents several time zones away, one for my brother who recently had a kid, and one for myself. My folks can now watch their newest grandkid growing up - and not have to travel or pay long distance fees to do it! And they're likely to have a new grandkid to iSight with on my end within the next year or so. If not for someone (like me in this instance) jumpstarting this thing, no one in the family would've done it; for what it's added to everyone's lives (especially my parents), I've gotta hand it to the apple folks. And it looks a lot classier than those colored plastic little anthropomorphised pc-cam's you can get for around $50. Probably works better too.

Jeez, I could be in a commercial for this product...

Needless to say, it was a rather pricey christmas this year - but absolutely worth every penny (at last, a gift they can use!).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
vixapphire said:
You've pretty much got to go buy your friend/family an iSight when you get your own if you ever want to use it. That said, once it's in the mix, you'll rarely pick up the phone again! This past xmas i picked up one for my parents several time zones away, one for my brother who recently had a kid, and one for myself. My folks can now watch their newest grandkid growing up - and not have to travel or pay long distance fees to do it! And they're likely to have a new grandkid to iSight with on my end within the next year or so. If not for someone (like me in this instance) jumpstarting this thing, no one in the family would've done it; for what it's added to everyone's lives (especially my parents), I've gotta hand it to the apple folks. And it looks a lot classier than those colored plastic little anthropomorphised pc-cam's you can get for around $50. Probably works better too.

Jeez, I could be in a commercial for this product...

Needless to say, it was a rather pricey christmas this year - but absolutely worth every penny (at last, a gift they can use!).
I've got an iSight family too...except that one of my family members is not only in another time zone, but in another country most of the time.

macosgeek

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2005
mac n cheese said:

I wonder what differences there are (if any).

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
macosgeek said:
Yes - It looks to me like this whole revision thing is really just a rumor, nothing more. It seems Rev. B is here to stay (for now).

It's just as well for me. That way the iSight I own and haven't used yet isn't outdated.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
CCDs aren't really commodity products, so it's unlikely the price will drop nor a revolutionary new CCD will be created. Most likely the upgrades to the iSight will come from the DSP that can enhance the image, reduce noise or both. A new iSight most likely will see a streamlining of components to make it cheaper to produce, but not necessarily better in performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.