iSync in Beta

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
beta? i thought we would get the product by the end of the month. I guess it's up to them to revise their plans.

seven5

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
tcp/ip?

anyone know if iSync will support syncing through LAN? palm desktop on the pc does this, and its quite handy for use with 802.11 cards..... also will mail.app sync with the palm?

jvreede

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
From what I can make out, Apple's decided NOT to offer sync support to the IPAQ or other Pocket PC's...

Unbelievable... fastest growing market share and functionality that is on par with Mac performance... and they focus on ONLY palm... dont get me wrong, Palm is fine, but support BOTH standards...

EddieB

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2002
It may not allow syncing over LAN but it does allow syncing with .Mac, which means that it might be able to do an WebDEV thing, I'm not sure. I have used the beta though and it doesn't directly sync to the palm, it uses a conduit, you needed palm desktop, it doesn't run in iSync(but it is installed when iSync is installed), and last time I tried it(with a PalmIIIc), it failed, I think I did have everything correctly and configured it all right, it just didn't work...

macswede

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2002
Symbian?

Will iSync have any effect on the rather sad fact that the Nokia Communicator (runs the Symbian OS) cannot be synced with macs?

rtakagi

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2002
I have to agree

Originally posted by jvreede
From what I can make out, Apple's decided NOT to offer sync support to the IPAQ or other Pocket PC's...

Unbelievable... fastest growing market share and functionality that is on par with Mac performance... and they focus on ONLY palm... dont get me wrong, Palm is fine, but support BOTH standards...
I really wish that I could sync my PocketPC with my mac via Isync. I think that more people would be inclined to at least try a Mac if syncing with a PPC were possible. I think it could give Apple the same sort of exposure that the windows Ipod will give them.

Rick T.

sammy

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2002
iSync sync computers?

Will iSync allow me to sync my desktop and laptop computers? I hope!

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
Yeh, easily. Use .mac and sync it with there, then when you get home use the same account and sync it to your home computer.

At least that's how it SHOULD work.

theaz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2002
it seems to be a pretty powerful programme with heaps under the hood. And all this in a version 1 release. Given this fact, it is perhaps not surprising that it is still being developed. Support for further products (hopefully including pocket PC) will hopefully be rolled out in subsequent minor updates...

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
but what about exchange?

Will iSync allow me to sync iCal with Exchange and vice versa?

-p

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by jvreede

Unbelievable... fastest growing market share and functionality that is on par with Mac performance... and they focus on ONLY palm...
Actually, I don't know what report actually states that the iPAQ or the PocketPC is the fastest growing market share. Probably the fastest growing market share for a single line of PDAs is Sony, not the Compaq iPaq. In fact, I believe Sony's market share is already higher than Compaqs in most studies. Palm OS seems to be holding its own in most cases or gaining market share (enterprise) or at most lost one or two points of share (consumer). Certainly the adoption of Blackberrys is a greater "gain" in market share than PocketPC has had in any single period since its days as WinCE.

iSync also doesn't focus on Palms. They also supposedly sync with certain cell phones as well as your iDisk.

Hopefully, either Apple or 3rd party developers will support other handhelds (PocketPC). I'm not holding my breath. The number of Mac users using PocketPCs must be very small. I'm willing to bet more Mac users own the SonyEriccson T68i in anticipation of iSync than use PocketPCs (Ironically, I don't own that model though half of the people I know at work do, none are mac users (yet)).

Just because it will sync with iDisk doesn't mean that it will work with any WebDAV server. While iCal does, remember that Backup does not. However, in this case I'd imagine it will since Backup is supposed to be a .Mac-only application, while iSync is a Jaguar-only one.

BTW, If you want to share your calendars and don't have a .Mac account, I think you can activate WebDAV in the Personal Web Sharing that comes with MacOS X (client, not server). You have to edit the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, there is no way to do it from the System Preferences.

Take care,

terry

clubsport

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
Ah... don't worry, iSync is nearly finished. It will be released in a couple of weeks, before September is out.

As for it not supporting PocketPCs. Firstly, they are the most annoying type of PDA I have ever used, they are not meant to be Mac compatible and rely on Windows formats and programs (such as Windows Media Player and Microsoft Word), and besides, Microsoft are making it extremely hard for Apple to do it.

What about Sony Clie? Does anyone know if that is compatible?

rtakagi

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by clubsport
Ah... don't worry, iSync is nearly finished. It will be released in a couple of weeks, before September is out.

As for it not supporting PocketPCs. Firstly, they are the most annoying type of PDA I have ever used, they are not meant to be Mac compatible and rely on Windows formats and programs (such as Windows Media Player and Microsoft Word), and besides, Microsoft are making it extremely hard for Apple to do it.

What about Sony Clie? Does anyone know if that is compatible?
Just out of curiousity, how does Microsoft make it hard for Apple to sync with a PocketPC? and I'm curious to know why you find them annoying.

My thinking for wanting the ability to sync with my Mac or any mac is that any sale is a good sale. Apple would be opening up to an entirely new segment of users for the price of a small conduit...doesn't make sense to me.

Rick T.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
A lot of Mac users use PocketPC

Pocket PC passed the palm crowd up about a 1.5 years ago. Sony caught on with the Clie, adding mp3 playback, video, high-res color display,etc. However the slow dragonball processor and OS limitations are catching up compared to the StrongArm processors on the PocketPC's That is why Palm's next generation PDA's and OS's will be on the StrongArm processors and probably loose a great deal of compatibility with older versions.
In the mean time, PocketPC is still well supported OS-wise for several compatible harware upgrades.
IPaq sales have been very very strong even in the PDA slump that is occurring now. They come out of the box with Blue-Tooth support and can sync to cell phones. There is 3rd party software available now that supports Apple OS X conduits to several apps with PocketPC.
I think it will be only a short wait from the time that Apple finalizes Bluetooth support and iSync that we will see PocketPC support from MS & Apple. The new generation PocketPCs are very nice and support a lot of Steve Job's vision of the digital hub.

jvreede

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
the PocketPC thing

Apart from what someone's personal opinion is of the Pocket PC, it is a mistake to not have it be able to sync with a mac. By my count there is one good software solution for this problem (pocketmac.net)

I have thrown out all windows machines in my home, just two macs and three linux machines... but my favorite organiser has to be a pocket pc, the only thing that bothers me is that I cant sync with my mac...

There HAVE to be a lot of people that experience the same problem... and Apple would be wise to support them OR come up with a better PDA (which is of course my ultimate wish)

Being able to sync with phones seems kind of pointless to me, PALM and POCKET PC have the resources you want to sync with... syncing with a phone doesnt add that much value in my book...

JB