It Could Be Worse (EVO 4G)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jun 27, 2010.

1. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Great video. Being from the Times will be added leverage the next time a fandroid comes my way.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

5. MACis122 macrumors regular

6. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

7. don pianta macrumors regular

8. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

The nytimes is a respectable news source over there inthe US isn't it?
    Why would they upload something like that?

Not trying to be a 'buzzkill' but i'm just curious
    (it also isn't something I found funny. But that's just my sense of humour is different to yours)

9. 211269 macrumors member

Eh, was it supposed to be funny? It was a huge stretch. $10 a month for unlimited 4G data certainly beats AT&T's $15 a month for a lousy 200MBs and $25 a month for 2GB. Also, $30 a month for a mobile hotspot is cheap. They act like its a ripoff. You know how much a mobile hotspot device on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon cost? $60 a month. So double the cost of the Evo and only the one from Sprint is capable of 4G speeds. That video fails.

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

So his main complaints:

- No 4G service in his area, fair point but of course no one else has 4G service anywhere either and it is improving. Currently Sprint/Clear does have pre-launch 4G in parts of LA, SF, NY and Miami, in addition to having several other major cities pretty thorougly covered like Seattle, Las Vegas, Philidelphia, Houston and most other major Texas cities, Washington DC and Portland OR.

- Video calling is harder to configure, again a fair complaint as it really isn't as simple as facetime however it isn't as difficult as they make out. The tradeoff of course being that it works to other devices becides just other EVO's, and over cellular instead of just wifi.
    - Poor battery life:
    [​IMG]
    I've had no problem making it through a full day even with heavy use and several hours of web browsing.

11. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

12. ChrisSD macrumors member

Yes. The New York Times is respectable. That video is no worse than what would be written in a negative review.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

God I hate David Pogue and Walt Mossberg. They suck off Steve Jobs every chance they get.

14. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats $10 extra tacked onto the already existing data plan you're gonna have to pay for. They're basically saying its ridiculous to have to pay for 4G when it's probably not even available in your area yet. Did I hurt your big a** phone's feelings? You fail for hanging out in a Macrumors forum patrolling for EVO badmouthing. Well you found it buddy. Do you want me to supply you with more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpjfxQqsb-Y (Broadband speed)

http://www.youtube.com/user/lockergnome#p/u/11/waq8jMLT2Ro
    (awful camera) Be sure to watch the iPhone vid too buddy! :)

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/25/iphone-4s-camera-capabilities-evaluated/

What a Great Phone huh?

15. hipvamore macrumors regular

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They failed to mention that the plan is still cheaper than the iPhone plans.

Have any information to back that up? Or are you just another rabid Apple fan who is threatened by anything not Apple?

17. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

It just strikes me as odd that they would go through the effort of making that video just to slam a product.
    I understand if they have a electronics review part of their newpaper/site (?) and they give something a negative review. Or if reporting on problems with the phone a truthful report stating what's wrong.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

David Pogue is not a respectable writer and The NY Times has been slipping. They have some great journalists, but their editorials are basically becoming unprofessional blogs.

19. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I had the Evo 4G and used it from June 4th to June 24th. After I got the iPhone 4, I packaged the Evo back up and it has been sitting on my dresser. Tomorrow I will be returning it. I sold my 3Gs in preparation for the iPhone 4 then I saw the EVO. I thought it looked amazing. So I went out and abandoned Apple and the iPhone and purchased the Evo. Was it a great phone? Yes. Is it comparable to the iPhone 4? Yes, the same way you can compare high school baseball to the MLB.

After the 3rd day of using the EVO, I knew I would be getting the iPhone 4 and returning the Evo. It wasn't until after my first day with the iPhone 4 that I realized how bad the Evo really was.

Oh ya, and as far as battery life? I wish they had an app in Androids Market that located power outlets, because I needed them 2-3 times a day. it was horrible.

Only thing better on the Evo than the iPhone 4? Sprint.

20. nolesfan macrumors regular

I also have both the 4g and the evo. And all I have to say with all the problems the iphone is having, the evo is not a bad buy.
    Sprint's plans are better, the phone actually is faster than the iphone using 3g in my area and the wifi is also faster. I love both phones but like i said, the iphone is pretty much useless unless your at home using skype. And yes I own a ton of apple products, but I am being dead honest. You guys should actually try one and see how it compares, its free for 30 days, I'll bet you'll be surprised.

21. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-Fm6Ztwrc

Ya I watched this video to get a taste of what the EVO is truly like when using it, and its laughable. Honestly thats how I feel. I can't fathom how people even put the two in the same category. Its like night and day. The hardware of the Evo is impressive, but the OS is just flat out hideous inside and out. Top that off with terrible battery life, and you've got a big big paperweight. As far as the iPhone reception issues, I can't relate. I've had 4 to 5 bars every single time I make a call.

22. brentsg macrumors 68040

Every comparison you're making here is Sprint vs. ATT. It's all dependent on the local network.

Your iPhone is useless unless you're on Skype. I can't make mine drop a call when I'm trying, from my basement.