It finally makes sense - this is why I'm so upset with Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evev12, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

I've been extremely sour with the new iPhone's shortcommings for a while now, but now I finally get why. Please just hear me out...I'm not bashing it, in fact I love it, A LOT - it's the way it's managed that makes me cringe.

Minutely cracked cases and crashing browsers aside let's face it...the iphone's missing a lot, but we're all blinded by glitz, glamour and strangely hypmotic popularity. As superior as it is, in all the areas that it excels, why can't we "try-before-we-buy" when it comes to the apps, unlike anything I've ever seen there are no tiral periods - if you realize the app doesn't sync right, too bad buy another (but then again it makes iTunes more money). Why is the iphone the only phone that AT&T won't let us tether, why don't we have Live TV or any Orb/Slingbox connection (not even AT&T's own $30 TV service)? And the bluetooth....it's ages behind all the rest when it comes to connectivity, AND I can't use it internationally without a $1400 phone bill! I finally get it now! It's not the problems or the iphone itself that bother me, it's the fact that there's no reasonable explination AND the fact the the iphone EASILY has the potential to fix these "problems" and make it a completely unrivaled phone but they ALWAYS seem to give us just short of perfect with no explination, and I'm pretty sure it's done purposely (I got my masters in marketing)! If Apple could adress all of our issues with reasonable, meaningful answers, that would be more than enough to shut me up, and quick, and I'd have a smile on my face cause I wouldn't feel like I was taken advantage of. But the only motive that can logically be concluded is....more $$$$$$$ Just thinking about what the iphone COULD be is what upsets me the most, why are all the companies out there so damn greedy? Common, your customers are camping out for days and selling out your phones for a solid month - why would you give us anything less than everything you could? :confused:

2. oclor macrumors regular

So basically you are asking for the perfect product. Do you think it's possible? Of course you can just think up what you want and just because it's in your head you think it's possible, but ask yourself really, is it possible? You are asking thousands of people who work on the phone to not make a single mistake in their work. Why do you demand this from apple and not someone else? Has any manufacturer of any product ever made a perfect product? Do other phones offer everything that the iPhone offers and then some?

Here's a tip. You have an amazing phone. Instead of looking at what it's missing, look at what it's got that nothing else does and just be thankful. If it was possible to make a perfect product, then there would be a bunch of perfect everything around, but there aren't.

This reminds me of last year when everyone was bitching about how the iPhone doesn't have 3G. Now they are complaining that the battery life sucks, which was the reason the original iPhone didn't have 3G!!! All the time I was just thinking, if you want a ****ing phone that has 3G and 5 days of battery life, go make it yourself goddamnit! They act like a tiny ass battery that is capable for supporting some tiny ass 3G chip for days and days exists and that apple just refuses to use it.

3. Inukami macrumors 6502

We want parfect because of how expansive the IPhone + contract from ATT is.

4. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

I almost forgot...no ability to sync any 3rd party apps through your cradle/usb, I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous! Again, the most simple of things with such an easy fix, so why not?

5. oclor macrumors regular

the iPhone is not expensive. It is pretty much the same price as all the other smart phones but can do a lot more. And the plans are very comparable to all the other plans out there. And also, please don't give me that "The original data plan was $20!" That was for edge, now you are getting 3G so get over it.

And one should never expect perfect. This is the problem with you people, you look at the glass half empty all the time. In the iphone's case, you look at it 1/10th empty, when you should be looking at it 9/10th full!

6. saltbonereel macrumors newbie

I think someone just wants a warm, reassuring hug from Steve Jobs.

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Some of us researched what we were signing up for before we bought the phone and contract and knew what we were getting into, warts and all. Sure, there are some things I'm hoping Apple will tweak in an upcoming firmware release, but I have no complaints about the phone's features and contract because none of it was a surprise for me. If there were things about the phone or contract that bothered me that much, I wouldn't have signed on.

8. Inukami macrumors 6502

Oh right i have 3G now! oh wait... i don't??? Yeah my area has 0 cover for 3G, so i'm paying that much more for nothing. No, i expect perfect for what i'm paying them.

9. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry Odor, but your reply just reeks of a bad stench. Are you really trying to tell me that my complaints are so ridiculously difficult???? How about a 5 day trial on the apps in the app store, that seems pretty easy! Then maybe they could even charge us an extra $5 a moth on AT&T's live TV service, but that's just because we all have the iphone, and EVERYTHING costs more when it's on the iphone. Hey, at least we'd be getting the same services as all the other smart phones.

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Why not just return it, then? If you're not getting what you want out of the service, dump it and get something that works for you.

11. oclor macrumors regular

Exactly, why would you buy it? I too have no 3G coverage in my entire state. I knew that before I purchased the damn thing.

12. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Can't argue with you there! I'm actually counting down my 30 day cancelltion period and I got 16 left. In case everyone didn't hear me the first time...I LOVE my PHONE - I realize (at least right now) there's no other platform as stable as that of the iphone - 6.1 can't compare, Nokia's 60 is getting there but's not there just yet. I'm gonna hold off right until day 29 with my fingers crossed tightly and if nothing changes or I don't see any direction in our favor I'm jumping ship, and I'll do so with a smile. I'll hold off till Dec. with no cell phone (2 months without a cell phone is not a disaster) and I'll buy the unlocked Nokia Tube for $500 - If Apple get's there act together a month after so what, I have 2 phones! After all, I would really love to get away from AT&T - even though I really can't complain about their coverage (at least in my area), you do remember the huge lawsuit they settled for selling all their clients' personal information don't you?

13. Inukami macrumors 6502

I'm not returning it because in 29 days it wont matter. Because i wont be using 3G anyways. I needed a phone + ipod so this was great, i'm just pissed that i'm paying the first month bill for 3G when my area doesn't have 3G but the city over does(10min drive)

14. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I’m actually delighted with Apple over this phone.

I’ve had a mobile since the early 90’s and have become increasingly frustrated with the phones I’ve had in recent years.

In the UK the whole mobile phone industry seems to have become obsessed with the 16-25 year old age group which I think has resulted in fiddly difficult interfaces, deliberately incomprehensible data charges (the – “no I won’t tell you advance how much your browsing will cost – just get Daddy to pay if it’s a huge bill” sort of marketing), poor quality (having to upgrade every year simply because the plasticky phones fall apart etc etc)

See, I don’t think it’s got anything to do with glamour or glitz, (that’s what the mobile phone companies have been trying to sell for years) Apple have done what they do best – produced a product that’s a joy to use. (The centrepiece of their advertising isn’t gangs of kids poncing around in a trendy city but the product itself – radical eh?!!!)

Sure, the technology might have all been done before and if you shop around you might find things that on paper are a better in terms of features and price. But if Apple can keep this up and despite some ‘niggles’ with quality etc I’ll never go back to Nokia etc.

15. alFR macrumors 68020

Wow, I had no idea we had posters on here from the iPhone development team - I assume that's how you know that it would be "such an easy fix"? If, however, you have no background in mobile phone software development at all (as I strongly suspect) maybe you should stop being so definite about things you don't know very much about?

16. tiggery2k3 macrumors member

tiggery2k3

you know you absolutely right, if you don't like how it is return and get something that works for you, I did my research with the original iPhone and realized what would be missing. I realized there would be no copy paste, mms, bluetooth capability etc. But never regret buying the original or 3g version.
    As for the apps and trial versions that's not down to apple that's the developers who are responsible. Labyrinth has a app that's free to lure in users in few free levels, and then pay for more. Bluetooth isn't there for a reason, would you as a company as big as apple who own one of the biggest music stores want people sending music from phone to phone for free. Don't think so some how. End of story. Get over it people.

17. bobbba macrumors regular

LOL :D

+1

18. markgamber macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple is particularly greedy, I think it pushed the 3G out the door as soon as it possibly could. I bought my phone on release day and bought two more two weeks later and there are significant differences in both hardware and software from just those two weeks. The sync cable latches on the later ones, for example, while the earlier phone does not latch. It pulls right out if you lightly tug on it. The later two don't seem to have the SMS keyboard lag while the earlier phone does even after applying the system update. If I had to guess, it would be that Apple weighed features against time and decided if they held off for more features and perfection, they'd lose a chunk of their market. So, like it or not, out it went. It might appear greedy or half baked or whatever you want to call it, but it's a fact of life. Every company I've ever worked for that made something has gone thru the same process.

Personally, I bought an iPhone for dev purposes. If I wasn't coding for it, I would still have switched, but probably not until there was Slingplayer for it. I used Slingplayer a lot and tethering on occasion and there's no rational equivalent for either on the iPhone. Unfortunately, I can sit here and complain about it all day and tomorrow there still won't be a Slingplayer or rational tethering for the iPhone. So I bought a Tilt which fixes those problems until such time that the iPhone can do them. It's a pricey solution but it worked a lot better than waiting for Sling Media, Apple or other 3rd party vendors to fill in the holes on the iPhone. And, in a few months when those holes are filled (hopefully), I can unload the Tilt and get most, if not all, of my money back.

But I won't keep the Tilt, I'll keep the iPhone. Why? I could be lazy and state some pretentious bullsh*t like "Windows sucks", but the reality is that WinMo is a pretty good, full featured system. The real reason is that HTC hardware and software is always flawed and they never fix it. Ever. When you buy an HTC phone, you're buying something broken that will never be properly addressed. They won't even try. The official "fix" for the Sprint Touch's appalling video playback was "Buy the next phone, it'll work". I don't think so, pal, I have a drawer full of those fixes. The iPhone comes up short in a lot of areas but two days after launch, I applied a system update to the phone. I'm encouraged that the many holes in the iPhone will be filled in relatively short order. After all, I signed a two year contract. :)

19. mkoesel macrumors regular

I don't understand why:

1) People get so wrapped up in the iPhone that they actually need to go through a grieving process when they realize that, in fact, the device is not flawless.

2) People who do need to grieve, actually feel the need to do it publicly in these forums.

You are in stage two "Anger". I missed your stage one post(s) "Denial" but I am sure you got flamed nicely for it/them. I do look forward to the next stage - "Bargaining". I think you'll have some creative things to say in that one.

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I agree.

It'll be nice when all the "Why doesn't the iPhone have a 100 hour battery, 5.0MP camera, front-facing cam, stereo speakers, gamepad, laser pointer, ice crusher, etc.?" chatter comes to an end.

21. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I think the problems you mentioned in your original thread are not that major. You forget you are getting the absolute best web browser on any cell phone, period. You are getting an ipod. You are getting a beautiful and very user friendly interface. You are now getting 3g and applications. Basically you are getting the best cell phone on the market. Yet, it's not 100% perfect, but no piece of technology is or will ever be. But, why would you want to get rid of the best, because you don't think its perfect, and downgrade to having no phone or waiting for a Nokia Tube? Are you telling me the you won't have just as many and likely ten times more complaints with that iphone ripoff?

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Any need to make 3 threads out of it though Evev12?

It's a contract. You are under no obligation to sign it. It's up to you to see what you're getting, and that includes reviews, and features. Heck, there is a sticky on the iPhone forum page about features missing.

Is your case cracked? Get it replaced.
    Crashing browser? Most do. Save early, save often.
    Missing a lot of feature you want? Get another phone.

Apple's resources are FINITE. Therefore they prioritise. Apple's recently been recently on record regarding this. Snapping fingers and whining won't help.

If you really want features, get a poll running, send the information off to Apple, see if they have it in the pipeline.

Non-tethering isn't just an iPhone thing. It's quite common still and not just in the US.

Slingbox? Probably due to Apple's commitments elsewhere/prioritisation/it's under work. If you had the right app, you could stream your own programs. Luckily in the UK, we have iPlayer running on wifi, which is kind of a start.
    The App Store will evolve. Software features will come out. Relax, enjoy, and be patient!

I don't get the logic of asking for hundreds of new features, and then saying it's oh so easy to implement. It isn't, not instantaneously.

FYI - You are requesting:
    Casing improvement
    Browser stability
    Try before buy apps
    Tethering
    Live TV / Orb/Slingbox connection
    Bluetooth

Why not email Apple and find out what they say?

23. Biscotti macrumors regular

You have made some reasonable observations, the fact that the engineers at Apple COULD have made the best possible phone ever...They COULD have implemented cut and paste, MMS, video functions in the camera, etc.. But your right, it's all about the $$$.
    I'm in the financial services industry, and I look at Bloomberg all day, look at stock quotes (i'm not gonna bore anyone with details). But the main part of Apple's industry and appeal to an investor is Innovation. If you have tracked the company over the past 7 years, they constantly revive and improve their products in order to get more and more people buying newer products. That is their M.O. The Iphone is the same way, create a basic phone, and constantly improve upon it slowly while bringing more people into it with their newer features. (3g, exchange). The next software revision will probably address these issues albeit slowly. (they said they have a list of features to add). Slowly but surely, the Iphone will appeal to more people. Apple makes money off of hardware sales, so probably expect to see video functions etc in the next hardware revision next year.

What do you guys/girls/ladies/gentlemen/not-so-gentle-men think?

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Well, yeah... of course the next iPhone will have more features.

You don't need to be a financial analyst to know that ;)

25. kevinof macrumors 6502a

errr sorry .. "but can do a lot more". What does the iphone do that other phones cant? Touch screen perhaps but what else? Please don't say internet browsing because I've been doing that for years on other phones.

The iphone IS missing some basic features like local storage, like decent bluetooth capabilities (read crippled on purpose by Apple marketing), like cradle syncing, like cut and paste,like mms, like push mail works when the phone is sleeping, like I could go on and on. These are standard, basic features that lots of other phones have had for years and the only reason they are not in the iphone is either Apple doesn't care or Apple marketing jumped in and said no.

One thing I will give to Apple is that they do release OS updates and maybe, just maybe these features will come over time BUT we shouldn't have to wait. These are basic requirements in any smartphone.

Then again, maybe the iphone isn't really a smartphone (yet).

oh and please don't say I'm an apple basher - I have a 3G iphone and a Nokia E71. I love the iphone UI but I was expecting them to get the basics right and not give us a crippled product.