Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
EDIT: Many more sources, including a leaked Apple AU Price list has proven there is no Mac mini refresh this year. In addition, apple has a history of skipping updates for the Mini, due to the low profit margins.

9to5mac (who have being very reliable) says that there will be most likely four updates this year at WWDC.

Various sources indicates that the Mac Pro will be updated (yay), and apple beings pulling stock of Mac Pro.

Macbook Air, Pro, Mac Pro, iMac should be updated. The mini is left.

Goodbye Ivy Bridge :(

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It seems unbelievable that Apple would sell the current Mac mini, with its ancient USB2.0 ports, etc, for another year.

Litany

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
So you assume that the Mini won't be updated at all this year, just because of that rumour?

But didn't you hear, the iMac will get a matte display, the Mac Pro will be axed and an xMac may be released!

----------

It seems unbelievable that Apple would sell the current Mac mini, with its ancient USB2.0 ports, etc, for another year.

Just like they have been selling a MacPro with USB 2 and no thunderbolt for two years? Without so much as a speed bump or $50 price cut?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprising. Apple in the past has updated their other mac lines without updating the mini (at that time).

I was expecting apple to update the iMac and MBP lines next week, though they may also do the Mac Pro as well. The mini will see the love later though

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Macbook Air, Pro, Mac Pro, iMac should be updated. The mini is left.

Goodbye Ivy Bridge :(

If you have looked at the history of the Mac Mini, you will realize that it is usually the last to get updated. It is probably the least profitable device in Apple's line up (if for no other reason than it is the cheapest). During the Sandy Bridge updates, it wasn't upgraded until last (albeit at the same time as the Macbook Air). Just because it isn't realized during WWDC, doesn't mean Ivy Bridge Mac Mini's aren't coming. Good grief.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sad day? Not really. How is the current one not performing? I am curious because I'm using a early 2009 mini and it performs quite nicely. Then again, it's a HTPC.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
If you have looked at the history of the Mac Mini, you will realize that it is usually the last to get updated. It is probably the least profitable device in Apple's line up (if for no other reason than it is the cheapest). During the Sandy Bridge updates, it wasn't upgraded until last (albeit at the same time as the Macbook Air). Just because it isn't realized during WWDC, doesn't mean Ivy Bridge Mac Mini's aren't coming. Good grief.

Paul the mac mini is the true gateway drug into the world of mac.

While it is low cost 599 for the current base model as a new. It gets you into the true osx experience. So it is more profitable then you may think. The server is a huge markup in price and apple sells a lot of them. The server is 999. The cpu the hdds 4gb ram and the cable don't cost apple 400. Day after day Amazon's top selling desktop is the mac mini.

I have made a few bucks over the years upgrading minis so I am sure apple has made a few billion on this machine.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I certainly wasn't saying it wasn't profitable by any means just that it is the cheapest which means if Apple looks for a 30% profit, on a base Mac mini that I only $180. On a Base 15" MacBook Pro that is almost $500. If you were a computer company what would you concentrate on first?

haoqfu

Cancelled
Aug 29, 2006
I certainly wasn't saying it wasn't profitable by any means just that it is the cheapest which means if Apple looks for a 30% profit, on a base Mac mini that I only $180. On a Base 15" MacBook Pro that is almost $500. If you were a computer company what would you concentrate on first?

i would concentrate on the profit per machine times the sales, rather than profit for each machine.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Sad day? Not really. How is the current one not performing? I am curious because I'm using a early 2009 mini and it performs quite nicely. Then again, it's a HTPC.

When Intel releases a new CPU, the older generation CPUs get sent a special signal directly from the secret Intel headquarters, which makes them slow and rubbish.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Not surprising. Apple in the past has updated their other mac lines without updating the mini (at that time).

I was expecting apple to update the iMac and MBP lines next week, though they may also do the Mac Pro as well. The mini will see the love later though

They've actually normalized mini updates to a degree. We're not seeing the kind of lag we did with the G4 minis. In the case of the Core2 duo, it stayed on the older process for roughly the same amount of time as the lower power laptops. I don't think you guys have anything to worry about here. A mini refresh should at least be out before the back to school crowd in spite of laptops being much more popular among students.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
i would concentrate on the profit per machine times the sales, rather than profit for each machine.

Which I would contend that the laptop market is also a much larger market anymore than desktops, so again Quantity + higher profit takes precedence over lower profit + smaller market. Again, not saying Apple won't update the Mac Mini, as I believe they will, but I've never seen Schools/Universities use Mac Mini's, they always use Macbook's and iMacs. Go to your local Apple Store and the Mac Mini's are in the corner compared to the MBP/MBA/iMacs which are all placed in more prominent positions in the store. Have you been to a Best Buy with an "apple store" inside? Many just have a sign stating they have Mac Mini's that is tucked away in a corner (again) while the iMac's, MBP's, and MBA's all have models sitting out for you to use. I love my Mini's. I'm just pointing out Apple is going to do what any business would do, concentrate on the most lucrative products of your business first, then move to lesser profit items.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the Mini isn't updated next week, a new revision will almost certainly come later this year, perhaps by summer's end. I'm waiting for it myself. I can hold out 'til then, even though the old g4 that the Mini will replace is more than 8 years old!

tejagamer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Mac Mini Update??

After looking through the part numbers list, and MacRumors Home Page.. I am Still hanging to the thought that we will see the Ivy Mini,but truth is, it may not!
We may have to wait till fall!! :(
Lets wait till 11th and see

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Mac Mini 2012

I have a mac mini 2012 with 6 Gig of RAM. There is no problem that you need to wait for an upgrade...its all about LION, that makes the product seen like it was designed by former team from MicroSoft Win 95. The mail program is a horror. iPhoto
is bad, makes it hard to export pictures or delete same. No restore OS disk offered. Calendar is horrible, not intuitive.
Super small fonts...no color fonts avail in address book, no ability to increase font size...keep it all tiny is the philosophy.
Its all about L I O N...not the mac mini.:confused:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Why so sad? It'll still be updated this year. Maybe in time for Mountain Lion. Maybe at the same time new TB displays are released with USB 3.0 support.

Apple's never updated so many products at the same time before. We have nothing to complain about-- think of those poor Mac Pro users!

On the plus side, I just got my 2011 mini recently, so I won't have to feel so bad about it being replaced by a newer version. :)

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Could also be that the Air and Pro are being combined into one product line, leaving iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro as the other three new items.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Could also be that the Air and Pro are being combined into one product line, leaving iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro as the other three new items.

Sure, but that leaked price list doesn't seem to have anything in the price range of the Mac Mini.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I suspect we will see a new Mac mini before the end of the year although that could just me being cautiously optimistic.

I love my current model Mac mini and should we not see an upgrade by the end of the year than I just will wait for Haswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.